Tama Dyna Sync Hi Hat Stand - It's landed

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I´m waiting for Tama to ship me one, should be here by the end of the month hopefully. It´s very pricey yes and I´m curious to see if it´s the shiznit.

Pibroch

Reaction score
$429 seems high for what it is. I think the Yamaha 1200 is around $100 less. Speaking of hi hat stands, Jojo Mayer mentions on his secrets pt. 2 dvd that the mark of a good hi hat stand is a floating rod. In other words, when you step down and then release the pedal the top hat should bounce freely and not stop dead. Not one of the last 3 stands I've owned functioned like that. Anybody have one that does?
Yes my DW 9000 does this, one of my essential criteria for choosing it. This feature is important for doing fast splash / chick ostinatos without the rod and top hat clunking to a stop after a splash.

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
Yes my DW 9000 does this, one of my essential criteria for choosing it. This feature is important for doing fast splash / chick ostinatos without the rod and top hat clunking to a stop after a splash.
Thanks, that mirrors my thoughts. Mayer centers his feet around the constant release movement, and claims to keep his BD pedal at minimal tension. Stands to reason he'd want a looser feel on the hat.

I'd think most hi-hat stands don't do this simply because the mechanism employed doesn't allow a low enough tension. That's my theory, anyway.

He's using a modified Sonor 600. I'm assuming that's German made? The stand I'm currently using is the 400 model, Asian made, and it will not release enough tension for the rod to float - no hat, heavy hat, light hat, no matter the tension setting on the spring.

I'll try to grab the pertinent section from the DVD and post it later.

Pibroch

Reaction score
Some stands (? most stands) employ a stopper to deliberately stop the rod at a certain point, which is why I replaced my previous Gibraltar stand - couldn’t stand the clunk clunk clunk. This is actually adjustable in the DW MDD stand to the point that it will free float if you want it too - see after 1:55 in this animation:

Old PIT Guy

Reaction score
Thanks. It's not about the float per se, but I would like a chance to experience the feel at such a tension. I might like it, I might not.
I suppose there could be a problem analogous to beater flutter if you don't have suitable space between hi-hat cymbals when your foot completely leaves the pedal.

Other than that, if you move quickly between the hat and a BD pedal you do get a hi hat clunk at higher tensions.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, what do you know? I've been playing my Yamaha 600-series hi-hat stand with the tension adjustment set at maximum pressure - factory set - for the last twenty years. I've never touched it. I lowered spring tension to its lowest setting (using a very light pair of Zildjian As - both around 900 grams) and to my surprise, the top cymbal really does "float" when released.

I'm a bit embarrassed. In all these years I've never paid any attention to the "clunk" sound of the rod returning to the top, but it was there. Not anymore, though. Now when I suddenly remove my foot, the top cymbal rises - and bounces several times - and the clunk sound is gone.

The question now is how this will translate to playing. I can't play the set right now, but later I'll try the new hi-hat adjustment in action and see how I like it.

So, at this point, JoJo may be right.

GeeDeeEmm

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Most hihats have a direct attachment to the Center rod , so when you depress the hihat it pulls directly down , this doesn’t necessarily allow for a consistent and smooth down and up action . The down action might be slower than the upward action .

The Tama Leverglide allows the action to be consistent and smooth by use of a lever connection to the down rod . I was skeptic all myself at first until I spent a couple hours about 20 years ago testing hihat actions with another drummer at one of our well stocked local shops . The Tama Leverglide consistently felt smoother and faster than any of the direct pull models .
Gibraltar’s sadly discontinued Liquidglide worked on a similar principal but utilized a dual chain . It was also very smooth and consistent .
Yes, go back to your website and watch the video and you can see how the level lever pulls the rod strait down with a smooth motion. I've enjoyed mine for years.

sherm