Tama HP50 to Strap/Belt Drive?

chillybase

Reaction score
Can the Tama Classic kick pedal (HP50) be converted to a strap/belt drive by any chance?

Joe61

Reaction score
Don't know but I looking to purchase one. Is there an issue with the chain?

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sure it can ........ hey, anything can be done (within reason!). You might have to make a rather narrow leather strap - say, 1/2" - 5/8" wide - but this could be simply exchanged for the chain.

I thought about doing this on my HP50 ........ I'm a confirmed "strap drive guy" ........, but honestly have no problem with the light chain. I will say that the screws on this pedal are loctited and thus difficult to remove without damaging the heads; heat from a heat gun etc helps here.

My only real gripe with this pedal is the same one I have with pretty much every pedal: the lack of ability to adjust the timing between the strap/chain cam and the beater. Most pedals (including the HP50) seem to incorporate the beater shaft clamp with the cam; on my pedal, I worked around this by careful bending/shaping of the beater shaft, allowing the strap cam to be "retarded" relative to the beater position. I like this snappier feel with quick acceleration off the rest position and more torque at beater strike. A personal thing, for sure .......

Mike

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've hacked together a few frankenpedals and you may be able to use a strap belt cam from another brand. It's easier to use the DW 5000 parts as an experiment.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just bought one of these. Im hopeful that I will like it as much as my classic calato pedals.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Tama pedal is very well designed. Simple, sturdy (for jazz or other light playing), fully adjustable, lightweight. I cant believe I waited so long to purchase one b

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here's a pic of my (lightly) modded HP50 - changes are the shaped beater shaft, allowing the cam to be rotated back (retarded); and an added bump on the cam nose to inrease the snap action.

I like it ......... !

40193E5A-04F1-46E7-B81A-3C98241B7CE8.jpeg

Joe61

Reaction score
Nice offset in the beater rod. If you don't mind me asking, what did you use to change the cam profile?

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice offset in the beater rod. If you don't mind me asking, what did you use to change the cam profile?

Thanks, Joe61 -

The beater rod is a piece of stainless that I had shaped some time ago to work with my edrum trigger; I think those minimalist beater heads are a Tama product, at least originally. You could get a variety of materials on the striker face, from felt to hard rubber. The heads attached to the rod with set screws, so you could make your own rod out of 1/4" stock.

The "bump" on the cam: in this case, I drilled and tapped a hole in the center of the cam face after fooling around with a piece of hard rubber to decide the best place to drill. I then placed a 10-32 set screw in the hole and placed a rubber grommet over it. I've modified cam profiles on strap drives before by bending thin aluminum and holding it in place under the strap with the attachment screw. I could take a detailed pic for you if you are interested ......

The whole idea is to build up the cam profile in the right place to make the action more aggressive; this is sorta like the old hot rodder technique of adding welded material to a stock camshaft and grinding a new smooth profile with a higher lift.

Mike

Latest posts