Tama Iron Cobra- Rolling Glide vs. Power Glide

nickrobotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How should I think about these two when making a decision. The chances of me getting to play both at the same tension is unlikely.

I rarely play heel down, but want to be able to from time to time. I don't play complex bass drum patterns. In fact, I'm trying to stop overplaying my bass drum.

Not sure if those insights help with a decision. How should I think about these two different cams when deciding which one to buy?

davezedlee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
pick one and live with it... then buy the other one if you don't like it

or get a used Pearl Eliminator with some cams

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pedals are so personal. You might think you like something, but after months of use, maybe you really don't. I'm second guessing my DynaSync now, which I thought was the best pedal I've ever played.

Mapex Always

Reaction score
Pedals are so personal. You might think you like something, but after months of use, maybe you really don't. I'm second guessing my DynaSync now, which I thought was the best pedal I've ever played.
That is very surprising to me, why do you think? My second favorite double pedal of all time, I have two sets of them, I couldn’t imagine not having them.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is very surprising to me, why do you think? My second favorite double pedal of all time, I have two sets of them, I couldn’t imagine not having them.

I don't know exactly. It may be the long board that puts the footboard at a lower angle. I'll play an old single chain Pearl pedal sometimes, and the angle of the board feels just right. And you know that sweet spot that's kind of forward of mid pedal? It's just different on the DynaSync.

Mapex Always

Reaction score
I don't know exactly. It may be the long board that puts the footboard at a lower angle. I'll play an old single chain Pearl pedal sometimes, and the angle of the board feels just right. And you know that sweet spot that's kind of forward of mid pedal? It's just different on the DynaSync.
I’m sure you know this , but you could try so many different tweaks with that pedal and really dial it in super sensational on the feel department.

But no doubt the simplicity of a single chain heaven!

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a set of IC power glides and they feel good. The cam must not be that aggressive on these as I can play all the various patterns I normally play on them. I also have a set of Eliminators and have swapped to the power cams. Those sucked. I had no control over the beater for double strokes or anything with a complex pattern. Switched back to the round cams and the pedals are perfect. With that said, I think the power cam profile on the Pearl pedals is too aggressive. The Tamas are just the right amount of aggression without causing a problem. I would likely be fine playing a rolling glide pedal from Tama as well.

One more thing, at no time have I ever noticed any additional volume, power, or "agression" from using a pedal with a "power" cam on it. You can play just as loud with a regular, round cam. Or you could buy a 600 series IC pedal and get the swappable cam.

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I preferred the FlexiGlise version of the Iron Cobra pedals - the strap drive is super smooth . Sadly Tama discontinued these .
I recently bought a NOS Flexiglide pedal. It was completely unopened in the original packaging. I love that thing.

IMG_6045.jpeg

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've owned both the Power Glide and Rolling Glide, and I really can't tell much difference between the two. I prefer the Power Glide, but I think it's just because I have more time on that style. Like you, I don't play a lot of complex bass drum patterns, although I do play heel down quite a bit.

You could try out the Tama 600 pedal which allows you to swap between Power and Rolling Glide and see which you prefer. Maybe get one from Amazon or somewhere else that you can return it after trying it out.

Furious Styles

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I preferred the FlexiGlise version of the Iron Cobra pedals - the strap drive is super smooth . Sadly Tama discontinued these .
Indeed. I loved the PowerGlide, right up until I purchased a Flexi-Glide in really good condition. Not enough o's in "smooth" to describe the feel. Picked up my 1st double pedal in Flexi-Glide.

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think you can still order the Flexiglide cam and straps. Cams are super easy to swap out on a Tama pedal.

That might be a good solution for the original post. Buy a Powerglide pedal, and then buy a Rolling Glide cam. It takes about 5-10 minutes to swap cams.

Marc M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had,both,and had two power glide cams,one,the earlier one seemed to have a more extreme angle.

When I would try to feather the Bass Drum either heel up or down I did not have good control and had doubling problems,more so on the more extreme cam but both were unusable for me so when feathering was called for I just used a spare speed king.

The difference I noticed between the rolling glide and power glide with regular playing was different,more so with the more extremely angled cam.
If I were starting over with the IC I would definitely look into the 600 pedal.

mandrum

Reaction score
I have a Rolling Glide that sits in its case, much prefered the discontinued FlexiGlide. I played them for about 25 years and now have been converted to a pearl Redline strap Eliminator user, excellent pedal all around.

telejojo

Reaction score
I have a Pearl Demon direct drive and the Iron Cobra and the Tama pedal hits harder to me so I'm using it. I may need to change the beater on the Pearl and make some adjustments but I like the Cobra better and it was 150 cheaper.