TAMA King Beat snare

demvikes

Reaction score
I'm looking to add to my collection. What is a fair price to pay for a 6.5x14 or 5x14 in excellent condition with original hardware? There is a 6.5x14 on my local Craigslist for $350. Thanks!

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Depends if it has the diecast hoops & parallel action strainer.
I wouldn't spend up to 350 if it didn't.

tmc333

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Even with parallel strainer, DC hoops and flawless, $350 is overpriced (especially in this economy).

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'm looking to add to my collection. What is a fair price to pay for a 6.5x14 or 5x14 in excellent condition with original hardware? There is a 6.5x14 on my local Craigslist for $350. Thanks!
I picked one up for 40 bucks before Christmas. Kept the one I already head and traded this one for a shiny Ludalloy 402, from the local headbanger death metal thrasher kid in my neighborhood.
350 .... ? Make sure it has the seamless shell. Thats a lot of dough...

W

wayne

They,re magnificent snare drums regardless if you feel its over priced.I think 3-350 is decent value for what you,re getting,but you,re also correct in that the economy is upside down.These particular drums from Tama can challenge anything made today....I have a couple.

4164SB

DFO Master
Reaction score
These TAMA spun steel shell drums from this period are all very good, especially the models that include diecast rims regardless of the strainer type.

sniderman

Reaction score
They,re magnificent snare drums regardless if you feel its over priced.I think 3-350 is decent value for what you,re getting,but you,re also correct in that the economy is upside down.These particular drums from Tama can challenge anything made today....I have a couple.
$350 can by a lot of drum, I personally wouldn't tie up that kind of money in this one. I disliked the one I owned, and never found a good use for it, but that's just me.

That's the beauty of drums - there's something for everybody...

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
BTW those lugs are the spacing same as Rogers ...the KingBeat is the only snare I've owned that sounds just as good if not better with the original die casts.
If you're looking to spend that kind of money on a snare, then this TAMA ,although can be had cheaper,is head and shoulders above a comparable 2012 of just about any company. I found the parallel thro with the internal beam to be a little finnicky to set up. I prefer the Roller Glide system.

demvikes

Reaction score
Thanks, guys, for your input. There was a 6.5x14 on Ebay last month that sold for $385 BIN. I was very tempted but now I'm glad I resisted.

drumaniac

DFO Star
Reaction score
6.5x14 parallel strainer-equipped hmmm I would pay $275 for that snare

BrianOwens

Drumsforever
Reaction score
Personally I'm not a Tama guy but I know drummers who swear by them. It is worth what someone will pay and any descent snare drum is worth $100.00 or more...wouldn't ya say?

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
Personally I'm not a Tama guy but I know drummers who swear by them.
It's true. I'm one of them.

My 6.5 KG parallel KingBeat is one of the star snaredrums in my 50+ collection.
I bought it new in 1980, toured & recorded with it throughout the 80's-90's and it's still absolutely pristine.
These drums almost always command over $300 on eBay when they're complete and in good condition.
They'll easily compete with Dynasonics or Supraphonics in construction, sensitivity and tone.

dilbertfan1

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
[ View attachment 119905 attachment=119903:IMG_0432.JPG] View attachment 119904 This thread got me nostalgic. I dug out my first drum ever-purchased in 1980, for my birthday when I was in 7th grade. It was my only snare until college. Since then over 100 snares have come and gone, about 26 in my current collection. Sadly, this drum never gets played. I dug it out of the closet and wiped the dust off to take these pictures. I played it for a minute-WOW! what a great drum. Incredibly sensitive and powerful. I forgot how good it sounds. All original-I even have a couple sets of original wires at my parent's house (I hope they are still there) including a set of the aircraft cable wires. Anyway, I don't think I'll ever part with it, but thought it was worth sharing here!
Chris-

Steele

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I know this goes contrary to what most guys above have said, but there is no way I would pay anything like $350 for a kingbeat. These snares come up fairly often in Aus, and with an entire imperial star kit around it I've never seen them go for more than $400...thats a 5 piece kit I'm refering to.

The imperial star kits are really great old kits in my opinion, but they aren't a good investment. This is good when you are looking to buy of course, but they don't hold value when it comes time to sell like a 60s Ludwig for example.

As for the snare on it's own. They frequently sell for $150 of less here in Aus. If you really want this one, then the money doesn't matter, whatever you think it's worth is what you should pay. They are a nice solid snare that can torque up very high and have a very good round crack to them. Negatives I've found are that they weigh a tonne and the strainer set up is overly complicated and cumbersome. I do love the cam action mufflers which allow you to preset your desired amount of muffling with a dial, and then use a quick switch when you want to activate the muffler. Genius.

Overall, a good snare, but I personally would wait for a cheaper one.

Steele

Rockdrum

Reaction score
I saw a 6.5x14" with die cast hoops on the used rack at a local drum store last summer for $80.

KINGTRIXON

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here are my three babies !!! The parallel action snare is my most recent acquisition at $200.00, while the other two are $85.00 wonders. Before I got my first metal Tama about five years ago, I had about ten different exotic snare drums in different sizes. I sold them all after I bought the first metal Tama, it's just that good of a drum. These drums are versatile, incredibly sensitive and dynamic, and if you want that classic Stewart Copeland sound, this is the way to get it !!

All three drums are 6-1/2 x 14" deep models. I don't use the parallel monster, because it loses tension while you are playing hard. I installed new Gibraltar die-cast hoops on the other two, because the thicker hoops help control the steel shell's annoying honk. One drum is set-up for extra-dry up-close miking, while the other is looser and more resonant sounding.

I would put these drums up against any modern metal shelled snare drum, they are absolutely the best sounding snare drums that I have ever played !!

By the way, stay away from the non-parallel Kingbeat models with extended roller gates, they are difficult to tune, and once the drum is knocked on it's gate(s), it will never sound right again....

W

wayne

I,ve never seen so much love it or hate it comments on one drum.This tells me how much variation we hear as drummers.I agree that the resale is not what it should be,but im thankful for that as i continue the search for these gems.