Tama lug problem, Superstar 1980s...

chevvies

Reaction score
...one by one these lugs corrode and snap at the point where the mounting screw attaches to the lug, rendering them useless.

Could experts recommend a replacement that would fit?

(Bass drum appears ok).

Thanks.
IMG_0507.jpg

DWSlingerland45

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Might want to check how tight you have the mounting screws .... I've redone 2 complete sets of these drums with no issues at all like the one you describe. I did a quick search on eBay and there are several lots of these being sold as we speak. Some without mounting hardware and some with. Might want to grab a few if you are having issues with your drums.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've never had this "snapping" issue on Superstar or Imperialstar 1980's drums....and I've owned about 50 drums total. Seen plenty of corrosion though on the lugs/fasteners. Over tightening the lug screws and/or tension rods plays a role. It's also more likely to pop a lug tower if you don't release all of the tension on it before loosening a lug screw.....did that once by mistake. A friend of mine recently bought a set of Imperialstars where half the bass drum lugs were replaced with rockstar lugs. After going through the kit a couple of other lugs were found to be cracked or damaged. Same comment for some of the wing bolts and nuts on the stands. We finally figured out that the seller had "hands of steel" and over-tightened everything to the max, even lugs. No fastener was given a pass.....lol. And in the process he broke a LOT of lugs on his kit. Reminded me of the big guys at the old power plant who could tighten valves with just a quick snap of their hands....and the rest of us would need valve wrenches to move them the next time.

These pot metal lugs do tend to see white/green corrosion if left in humid environments for many years. But you still have to put a lot of stress on them to snap them. On kits showing excessive white/green precipitate on the screws or lug interiors, soak them in vinegar for 10-20 min, rinse down with Windex, dry, then lightly wipe the interiors with oil. Another option would be to clear coat the interiors once done cleaning and neutralizing them. I would concede that a vintage Tama kit kept fully exposed in an extremely "wet" basement, shed, or garage for years could corrode enough to just crumble the lug towers. That's pretty extreme though....not the norm imo.

Best source for the lugs if you want to do a complete swap is to buy a cheap Imperialstar tom, especially power toms that are often sold quite cheap. On a 14 or 15 inch power tom you get 16 lugs, and all the other parts too. Parted out, a nice one of those drums can fetch $100-$125.....yet one can routinely buy those drums for $50-$85 each.

Last edited:

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've never had this issue on Superstar or Imperialstar 1980's drums....and I've owned about 50 drums total. Over tightening the lug screws and/or tension rods can play a role. It's also more likely to pop a lug tower if you don't release all of the tension on it before loosening a lug screw.....did that once by mistake. A friend of mine recently bought a set of Imperialstars where half the bass drum lugs were replaced with rockstar lugs. After going through the kit a couple of other lugs were found to be cracked or damaged. Same comment for some of the wing bolts and nuts on the stands. We finally figured out that the seller had "hands of steel" and over-tightened everything to the max, even lugs. No fastener was given a pass.....lol. And in the process he broke a LOT of lugs on his kit. Reminded me of guys at the old power plant who could tighten valves with just a quick snap of their hands....and the rest of us would need valve wrenches to move them the next time.

These pot metal lugs do tend to see white/green corrosion if left in humid environments for many years. But you still have to put a lot of stress on them to snap them. On kits showing excessive white/green precipitate on the screws or lug interiors, soak them in vinegar for 10-20 min, rinse down with Windex, dry, then lightly wipe the interiors with oil. Another option would be to clear coat the interiors once done cleaning and neutralizing them.

Best source for the lugs if you want to do a complete swap is to buy a cheap Imperialstar tom, especially power toms that are often sold quite cheap. On a 14 or 15 inch power tom you get 16 lugs, and all the other parts too. Parted out, a nice one of those drums can fetch $100-$125.....yet one can routinely buy those drums for $50-$85 each.
Strong reply right there.

chevvies

Reaction score
What's the hole spacing?
From centre to centre, seems to be 1 1/2".

Many thanks for the thoughtful replies. I think the mounting screws are M5 and about 15mm in total length? I had tried a 'Gretsch' looking copy which was about £3 to consider replacing the whole lot but the mounting screw that came with it was too long and possibly an M4?

Tama CW's suggestion is super but most single drums I've seen tend to be in the US and shipping would be enormous :).

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Go on ebay and buy a used lug. They come up every so often. You may be able to buy a whole drum for $60 and you will have 12 spares.