Tama Mastercraft Steel, 6.5 x 14 and One-Touch Tone Control

Glassman

Reaction score
Not sure where best to put this. I have been wanting one of these snares for a while and over the last few years prices have skyrocketed. I managed to locate one in VERY used condition. Not necessarily abused but clearly had plenty of time at the kit. Based on photos it appeared to be 100% complete, aside from heads, so it was seemingly worth the gamble. Serial number puts it as 1985 which is a somewhat significant year for me as well. Some pitting, scratches, one roller assembly slightly out of shape, a little internal corrosion, etc but in round.

Before pictures:
IMG_1410.JPG IMG_1411.JPG IMG_1412.JPG IMG_1413.JPG IMG_1414.JPG IMG_1415.JPG IMG_1414.JPG IMG_1416.JPG IMG_1417.JPG IMG_1418.JPG IMG_1419.JPG

Last edited:

Glassman

Reaction score
As expected, the one piece that was questionable was the ABS plastic holder for the One-Touch tone control. I brought it into work and had a CAD drawing made and then a new one printed on a 3D printer. Pretty close dimensionally and fit perfectly. At work we are getting a newer printer that will allow us to make things using carbon-fiber reinforced plastic and I will get one of those once everything is set up.

IMG_1459.JPG IMG_1460.JPG

ncdrumr

Reaction score
That is nice work, Glassman! I love seeing older drums getting some TLC. Seems like those Mastercrafts come up frequently as vintage gems.

rayboomboom

Reaction score
I love those old Tama drums. Brings back memories walking into the local music store and being blown away by them.
I bet that feels good to have that cleaned up and working. Way to go, nice job!

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes sir, looking good! Nice work and congrats on tracking it down and making it your own!

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an 80's Mastercraft seamless COS 6 1/2 that was missing the tone control when I bought it . For $ 175 I walked away with a superb drum .

Glassman

Reaction score
I have an 80's Mastercraft seamless COS 6 1/2 that was missing the tone control when I bought it . For $ 175 I walked away with a superb drum .

I see the tone controls come up for sale now and again but I am sure the plastic holder is cracked just like mine. I have an 8 x 14 Mastercraft birch in Super Mahogany that I have not taken apart for decades that is probably in need of a replacement by now. I picked up a 5 x 14 steel Mastercraft a few years ago in great shape and did my best to glue the cracks on the plastic but is not going to last forever. Once work has the new printer I am planning on getting a few of them made to replace on the other drums.

polycrescendo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a guy on the Tama Facebook groups by the name of Kevin Cundy, he 3d prints those ramp collars as well as makes his own aircraft extended wire replicas for the Mastercraft and Kingbeat drums. Highly recommended.

highmileage

Reaction score
Wow, that might be my old snare. I bought one of these new around then and sold it when I gave up drums in about ‘89 to help buy a bass rig. Great snare, I see it still has the original snare wires with the fiberglass packing tape!

Im more partial to 5” depths now but if I came across one, it might follow me home.

Glassman

Reaction score
Great snare, I see it still has the original snare wires with the fiberglass packing tape!

I bought a roll of 1” wide strapping tape about 10 years ago and I remake the straps as needed for the Tama snares. This drum still had what I assume were the original straps. I had to almost dissolve the dried up glue from the wires to remove the remnants.