TAMA Mastercraft wires - avoid 20 strand replacements

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
because there's not enough clearance between the butts and the strainer gates . I couldn't figure out why after releasing and re engaging , the drum sounded awful . The wire set was getting hung up on the gate . I used my grinder, bevelled the profile a bit and removed one strand on either side and wouldn't you know it ? I did a google and discovered the factory replacements are 18 or 16 . My Pearl extended set were ok for length but too close in width .

Over time there've been numerous inquiries here about proper replacements and I thought I'd let you people know about this . Another observation, don't overheat the butt if you're going to use a grinder - solder may melt and you'll be left with less wires than originally intended .

ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
What snare drum and strainer are you referring to?

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the same drum and luckily I found two sets of NOS wires. They are 18 strands and 1 7/8” wide

076D50C8-71A1-4800-9D93-3C23559D84F9.jpeg

D

deegeebee

I had good success with Puresound 16 strand vintage series wires made for the old 14" Pearl Free-Floaters (PF1416). Then foolishly sold my steel mastercraft. Every time I look for another one they are double what I paid originally. Probably worth it, will just have to bite the bullet at some point. Wonder why someone doesn't resurrect the roller glide extended wire strainer, it really is the real deal.