Tama Peter Erskine Signature Jazz snsre

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I LOVE the sound of that drum! It's both open and crisp, it seems to be very sensitive and the spruce smooths out the overtones. I'll definitely be checking one out after I get vaccinated and feel comfortable going out into the world (i.e. Pro Drum Shop) again!

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I never noticed he sets up his snare so low, I would barely be able to play a rimshot that way, not to mention in trad.grip.
Spruce mix sounds intersting, I think acosutic guitar tops are often made of Spruce?

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
These guys get really upset when we leak news like this so don't be mad :) I do have one on order of course. Looks and sounds nice to my ears.
It was launched yesterday. It´s already up on the websites

Markkuliini

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve never seen a snare with reinforcing hoops only on one side. Looks cool
Doesn't know the details of the shell, but specs-vise it's quite close to Mapex Versatus (Russ Miller signature) that is also 14x4,5, has re-ring only at the top and it's mixed shell, although it's maple-mahogany blend. How are the bearing edges on the Tama? Mapex has sharper on the bottom and bit rounded countercut on the top.

Edit: oh wow, it even has the same kind of Slingerland-esque inward hoops as the Mapex. Number of plies is also the same, although 6
plies is really common.

All in all, REALLY similar. :icon_e_biggrin:

Last edited:

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
All bodies are beach bodies and all snare drums are jazz snare drums.

Any well-build snare drum will work as a jazz snare drum. In my life I've used everything from an Ayotte Keplinger to a Supra to a Jazz Fest to a Sonor HiLite to a Craviotto black cherry to a Tama Swingstar to a Gretsch 4160 to a Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute in depths from 3.75" to 7." They've all worked, as have all the other snares I've taken. i would imagine that just about the only sorts of drums that'd make it tough would be those OCDP drums with the big holes and of course A&F, which you shouldn't buy for anything. But good heads, snares, and tuning are what you need.

Edit: Also, smaller diameter snare drums are harder to use for jazz if you are playing brushes.

Last edited:

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve never seen a snare with reinforcing hoops only on one side. Looks cool

Yeah,.. I think I would want the bottom completed !! ....... LOL.. ......... Just seems so wrong no matter how good it sounds..

but this just sounds like another snare to me at least.. ........ I am not hearing anything that blows me away by any means.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't know the details of the shell, but specs-vise it's quite close to Mapex Versatus (Russ Miller signature) that is also 14x4,5, has re-ring only at the top and it's mixed shell, although it's maple-mahogany blend. How are the bearing edges on the Tama? Mapex has sharper on the bottom and bit rounded countercut on the top.

Edit: oh wow, it even has the same kind of Slingerland-esque inward hoops as the Mapex. Number of plies is also the same, although 6
plies is really common.

Same factory making them, maybe?

RyanLovesDrums

Reaction score
Yeah,.. I think I would want the bottom completed !! ....... LOL.. ......... Just seems so wrong no matter how good it sounds..

but this just sounds like another snare to me at least.. ........ I am not hearing anything that blows me away by any means.
Yeah and it’s probably over $1000

Sinclair

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Why no bottom re-ring? There's no mention of how many ply or did I miss it.

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

plies is really common.

14x4,58 (he came to that size after years of research with Yamaha where he had some prototypes made).

I had a spruce Yamaha maple custom 25th anniversary and it didn't sound different then, so I'll take it this is a deluxe maple snare.

jansara

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
All bodies are beach bodies and all snare drums are jazz snare drums.

Any well-build snare drum will work as a jazz snare drum. In my life I've used everything from an Ayotte Keplinger to a Supra to a Jazz Fest to a Sonor HiLite to a Craviotto black cherry to a Tama Swingstar to a Gretsch 4160 to a Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute in depths from 3.75" to 7." They've all worked, as have all the other snares I've taken. i would imagine that just about the only sorts of drums that'd make it tough would be those OCDP drums with the big holes and of course A&F, which you shouldn't buy for anything. But good heads, snares, and tuning are what you need.
+10

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
While not for me, that is a lovely drum.

Big kudos to Tama, and Mr. Erskine. I really want to point out one thing this video does that so many do not: It gives me a superb idea of what that snare sounds like. Just listen at around the 39 second mark. I can really hear the truth of the drum, overtones and all.