TAMA Rockstar RM

Germandrummer

Reaction score
The pictured TAMA Rockstar in gravure cherry wine with matching snare is currently offered here and I just have a problem figuring out the drum sizes.

The vendor says, drums would be 20/10/12/14, but I think the bassdrum might be 18, what do you think?

The TAMA catalog from 1993 I found also doesn`t list that deep toms in the RM series. They seem to be much deeper than the listed 10/8 and 12/8.

Toms taken from other Rockstar series seem to be unlikely, as DX, Pro etc. had other lugs and the gravure cherry wine finish seems to be specifically used for the RM series.

Who can help?

Attachments

Germandrummer

Reaction score
Could they be RockStar RK

Page 10/16

it has the separate lug (and the sizes and "a Red"..
Hm, sizes 10/10 and 11/12 could match but these toms weren`t offered in the RK series?
I compared some pics of the plain red RK finish and that cherry wine from the RM.
Concerning the 93/94-catalog these would be Rockstar Pro tom-sizes wrapped in a RM-finish?
A bit much of custom drumbuilding in an entry-level series...strange!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Germandrummer

Reaction score
Then I could be wrong... I see a 10x12 and an 8x10 in the 10/16 page pdf catalog link
So maybe just the deep 10 is not listed .
You do see another series - the lowest last one- RK- with that Lug tho
Right?
Yes, the deep 10 is missing.

Got some additional info from the vendor. The entire kit was bought new in a munich drumshop in `93 or `94.
Unfortunaly the original invoice is lost.

To me it fairly looks like a RM apart from the tom sizes as the double braced hardware and wood snares in 5x14 were not part of RK.

Perhaps worth to write an email to TAMA.

Germandrummer

Reaction score
Finally got the Rockstar RM home last weekend! It sounds amazing! I have to sort out some tuning issues with the bigger rack tom, but this is a minor issue caused by my poor skills.

The kit is in awesome condition. Just one minor scratch on the bassdrum. Even the cymbal stands are flawless

Hard to believe this was meant to be an entry level set in the 1990s.

Attachments