Tama Spotted Gum vs Brady/Evetts

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm not looking at buying another snare soon, more so just curious. My next snare (if I do) though, will likely be an Australian wood, looking mostly like Spotted Gum.

The Tama SLP is getting rave reviews from what I've seen. At 1k and up for the Evetts and Brady models, is there really much of a difference in these?

The exotic finishes on the Evetts and Brady do look amazing, but if they sound close being the same wood, I think the slp would work.

Thoughts?

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm not looking at buying another snare soon, more so just curious. My next snare (if I do) though, will likely be an Australian wood, looking mostly like Spotted Gum.

The Tama SLP is getting rave reviews from what I've seen. At 1k and up for the Evetts and Brady models, is there really much of a difference in these?

The exotic finishes on the Evetts and Brady do look amazing, but if they sound close being the same wood, I think the slp would work.

Thoughts?
Following as I have the same question.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been super impressed with the whole SLP line.
Same here. I've got the 8x14 black steel snare and the Spotted Gum. Had the Fat Spruce for a minute, liked the thump it produced a lot, but it was too close to the steel drum, which can tune in several ranges better.

I don't have enough experience with Brady to compare, but I'd think the Brady would be nicer. How can a snare that costs 1.5x less be just as good?

Reaction score
I don't have enough experience with Brady to compare, but I'd think the Brady would be nicer. How can a snare that costs 1.5x less be just as good?
Sometimes it actually can.

High pricing usually comes froma plethora of things that doesn’t have anything to do with the result when you would setup the same but different priced things next to each other.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometimes it actually can.

High pricing usually comes froma plethora of things that doesn’t have anything to do with the result when you would setup the same but different priced things next to each other.
Well, if it sounds like a Brady then there is no contest in price. I'm very happy with the Spotted Gum and if Tama ever made another Aussie wood SLP, I'd grab it in a second.

DB-66

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t speak to the Tama or Brady models, but I have a spotted gum Evetts and the build quality is exceptional. The edges and shell construction are flawless. It feels like a wood drum but has many sonic qualities of a metal one.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
I can’t speak to the Tama or Brady models, but I have a spotted gum Evetts and the build quality is exceptional. The edges and shell construction are flawless. It feels like a wood drum but has many sonic qualities of a metal one.

I've wanted an Evetts for a while now, but man 1k price range isn't an option at the moment unfortunately. They look a absolutely phenomenal

patrickwitherow

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't have a Brady Spotted Gum, but I do have 2 Brady block snares (Jarrah and York Gum). Phenomenal sounding instruments with nothing but quality and detail in the build. Those Aussie timbers certainly have something special about them.

DB-66

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've wanted an Evetts for a while now, but man 1k price range isn't an option at the moment unfortunately. They look a absolutely phenomenal

I didn’t pay that. But here’s one that should be grabbed:

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score

I wish it was a 6.5 or I would have already lol

Skyrm

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Never heard of them until today. That is one sexy snare drum. :)

Reaction score
Tasty drums them Evetts.

HalldorL

DFO Master
Reaction score
I’ve owned a few Brady’s and now own the Tama Spotted Gum. The SLP is very reminiscent of the Brady Jarrah ply I had. Full bodied, moderately controlled and “just right” in every respect. My guess is the SLP will be very sought after 10-15 years from now. It’s a beast of a drum.

Of the Brady’s I had the 12x7” SheOak block was a standout.

Here are a couple of video’s I shot on a Zoom Q4, no sound processing. One video with music, one without. Remo Ambassador heads.

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Impressive snare this Tama SLP. Just opened the box and tuned it up. Gumwood is hard and dense
260168810_3142173102773267_440516323839447523_n.jpg
260392610_3142173036106607_5544432939608875863_n.jpg
man...you can feel it under the stick. Very articulate , sensitive , on the drier side but still has bottom. Like Halldor said above, everything feels just right about this drum. Inside is as beautiful as outside.
I wish I had the other snares mentioned here to A/B/C them but no luck. But this snares holds its own in every way.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Impressive snare this Tama SLP. Just opened the box and tuned it up. Gumwood is hard and dense View attachment 532058 View attachment 532059 man...you can feel it under the stick. Very articulate , sensitive , on the drier side but still has bottom. Like Halldor said above, everything feels just right about this drum. Inside as as beautiful as outside.
I wish I had the other snares mentioned here to A/B/C them but no luck. But this snares holds its own in every way.

That's gorgeous!

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve owned a few Brady’s and now own the Tama Spotted Gum. The SLP is very reminiscent of the Brady Jarrah ply I had. Full bodied, moderately controlled and “just right” in every respect. My guess is the SLP will be very sought after 10-15 years from now. It’s a beast of a drum.

Of the Brady’s I had the 12x7” SheOak block was a standout.

Here are a couple of video’s I shot on a Zoom Q4, no sound processing. One video with music, one without. Remo Ambassador heads.

Mine sounds pretty much exactly the same. Tama must be consistent, then.

I'll note that with a coated, CS reverse dot, the drum dries up even more than that.

Your concert toms are great sounding! Made me think of Phil Collins.

HalldorL

DFO Master
Reaction score
Gumwood is hard and dense.

Hard rock Maple is around 1450 on the Janka hardness scale, Spotted Gum is 2470. Harder than Jarrah (1910 on Janka).

And yes, this drum does not lack bottom end.

Using it live is fun; the FOH usually puts the snare volume fader up and scratches his head. Sound is ready. And I’m talking wide open drum with Ambassador heads. Perfect. Same happened with my Brady’s.

Last edited: