Tama Spotted Gum vs Brady/Evetts

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Many of the slp line are just flat out incredible deals.. much because of the components.. solid brass lugs and Tama's new modern original design strainer.. The value is just incredible IMO.

HalldorL

DFO Master
Reaction score
The SLP strainer is my favorite on the market along with the one Mapex uses.

The linear strainer? The SLP drums can come with at least two different types. The Linear strainer (as on the Spotted Gum) was first introduced on the Star series drums. It’s a great one.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The linear strainer? The SLP drums can come with at least two different types. The Linear strainer (as on the Spotted Gum) was first introduced on the Star series drums. It’s a great one.
Yeah that’s the one. It has the adjustment knob on both sides.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which is great for switching them out as a lefty. Just like the old Yamaha and Brady snares.
What are you switching out?

I just keep the strainer to my left as I’m a lefty, too. But I’ve also had them on the right.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Sounds like I may eventually try the Tama. Seems the reviews are all overwhelmingly positive

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
And thanks for all the contributions on this thread! I really, really don't need another snare in my life. But Australian timber seems like it's gonna be hard to resist

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hard rock Maple is around 1450 on the Janka hardness scale, Spotted Gum is 2470. Harder than Jarrah (1910 on Janka).

And yes, this drum does not lack bottom end.

Using it live is fun; the FOH usually puts the snare volume fader up and scratches his head. Sound is ready. And I’m talking wide open drum with Ambassador heads. Perfect. Same happened with my Brady’s.

East Indian Rosewood - 2440
Santos Rosewood (Pau Ferro) - 1970

Those are my 2 hardest timbers right now, but one is a solid steambent shell, and the other is a 4 ply with 4 ply rings. I was gonna say it will be interesting to see how they differ, but they're completely different shell makeups. Not much comparison to be able to do.

Reaction score
What are you switching out?

I just keep the strainer to my left as I’m a lefty, too. But I’ve also had them on the right.

I switch the strainer part out to the right as that is the hand that is mostly free.

The only snares where I didn’t do this are my DW’s as the 5p butt end gives more options the strainer itself.

The Texan

Reaction score
I had a Brady Jarrah block snare and sold it. I also had an Evetts spotted gum snare and sold it. They both were nice snares, however I only liked them in the higher tuning range. For me they did not work well tuned low to medium low, medium. The Evetts was a little disappointing because it did not sound like the video to me. Not that is sounded bad, just not like the video. I know a lot factors come into play compared to video demo