Tama Star Series kits

NobleCooleyNut

Reaction score
Hey Folks - anyone on the forum own a Tama Star Series kit in any shell type (Bubinga, Maple or Walnut ) ? What made you choose the shell type you purchased ? What are you impressions of it so far ?

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Hey Rick, Check with Halldorl. He's a Tama endorsor and has a Star kit.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
While I have not played them and I am not an owner, all three of these drum shell types in the Star Series line are out of this world impressive. I have listened to the 3 way shootout many times and I walk away really liking all three sonically. I think that it might be tough to really hear the differences unless you are in the room playing them for yourself. From the video, I think that I just love the look of the Gloss Sycamore kit and I probably like the sound the best. Looking at the shell construction, I just love the look of the bubinga when they open it up and show you the edges and the reinforcement hoops...wow! Is Tama just knocking it out of the park with this line or what? I would love to hear from an owner as well...

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have two;
Tama Star Walnut 22”bd 10”12”14”toms 16”18”floor toms 6.5x14” matching snare in Smoky Natural Mist
Tama Star Maple in 18”12”14” Sunny Yellow. 16”ft and 22”bd on the way

I dearly love both kits and they are quite different sounding. Both kits have that addictive feel to them; it’s hard to stop playing them once you sit down behind them.

The Walnut has this pre-eq’d feel, punchy, rich and a sweet dark tone. That’s why I chose it.

The Maple kit has more volume potential. Open, dynamic tone with a lot of warmth.

Build quality is second to none. If you have the chance to check out a kit, do it.

Walnut:

DA0257E1-7924-469C-BEB6-733E1324037B.jpeg

Maple:

DEBCB1B0-0114-48F5-BB7D-A77D00F3E418.jpeg

Inlays inside and outside:

C573C604-3A68-41CF-9EE5-F60BC915591C.jpeg

drummaman1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had the chance to buy a Star Bubinga 8x14 snare without the center inlay (was made for an endorser). The feel on this drum is so fantastic, I can't stop playing it.

Also the build quality of all of the Star drums is flawless. Like, the inside of the drums look just as nice if not nicer than the outside. Don't bother looking for flaws because there are none.

A worthy investment!!

Latest posts