Tama Star Snare Stand

Scottie15

Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience with the Tama Star Snare Stand? I'm looking for something to replace the DW9300 (can't stand the offset basket) and this looks it could get the job done. That being said, I'm slightly concerned about the omniball holding the entire weight of the snare. I'll be mounting a cast bronze snare so I need that durability.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m using one for over three years now and no issues with my 3mm thick Bell Brass snare on that stand, ever. The omni ball feature is what I love about Tama high end snare stands. I also have an older Tama stand for 10 years at least, never an issue.

Last edited:

Phantomlimb777

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve had mine for about three years, and it’s never budged. All kinds of weight has been put on it

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have two of them. Sturdy and stable. I've put copper and brass snares on them (my wooden drums are lighter) and they've been rock solid and incredibly flexible. Only downside, is that they're not rated to hold anything under a 12" snare. I still haven't put that to the test yet, but as the only downside I could see, I wanted to make mention of it.

If you're looking for a lightweight stand, the Yamaha Crosstown is designed the same way with a center mounted ball. I haven't messed with it much, but it seems very strong as well.

Scottie15

Reaction score
Thank you both! My DW9300 (not airlift) is sturdy stand. I just hate the fact that the basket is so offset, which makes it difficult to center between the pedals. Aside from that, adjusting the tilt and angle is much tougher due to the memory locks and the fact that you have to twist this random plastic handle. Perhaps it's better suited to mount a tom.

Neilrush88

Reaction score
Thank you both! My DW9300 (not airlift) is sturdy stand. I just hate the fact that the basket is so offset, which makes it difficult to center between the pedals. Aside from that, adjusting the tilt and angle is much tougher due to the memory locks and the fact that you have to twist this random plastic handle. Perhaps it's better suited to mount a tom.
I had the same problem with DW stand, the basket too offset from the center and difficult to get the right position without obstructing the legs with the pedals and hihat stand. I changed it for the Pearl serie 2000.

Scottie15

Reaction score
I had the same problem with DW stand, the basket too offset from the center and difficult to get the right position without obstructing the legs with the pedals and hihat stand. I changed it for the Pearl serie 2000.
Glad I'm not the only one. Seems like all of the DW 9000 snare stands are geared towards double bass drummers. I do use a double kick, but don't need an offset snare to make up for it.

bpaluzzi

Reaction score
I position mine so that the "boom" of the snare basket is pointing towards me (so that the feet are farther away from me than normal, not farther right / left)

MBB

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The offset is why I sold my dw 9000 series snare stand and picked up the Tama star stand. No issues at all. Really solid well designed stand.

Scottie15

Reaction score
The offset is why I sold my dw 9000 series snare stand and picked up the Tama star stand. No issues at all. Really solid well designed stand.

Bingo. That's exactly what I'm talking about and what I'm doing.

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had the Tama Star snare stand. It's solid, but I don't like the omni tilter thing. I prefer a tilter that moves along one axis at a time. I prefer the next lower line Tama, with the basket that has an offset arm.

Scottie15

Reaction score
I had the Tama Star snare stand. It's solid, but I don't like the omni tilter thing. I prefer a tilter that moves along one axis at a time. I prefer the next lower line Tama, with the basket that has an offset arm.

Interesting. What is the reason that you don't like the omni tilter and prefer the other option? How does the offset basket affect your playing?

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What is the reason that you don't like the omni tilter and prefer the other option? How does the offset basket affect your playing?
The omni ball tilter makes it harder to get to the exact spot I like. With a tilter going in one direction only, I can make tiny a tiny adjustment, then sit up and see how I like it, then make another tiny adjust if necessary. With the omni ball, the basket moves all over the place and it just takes longer to find the right angle.
The Roadpro stand has an offset arm so that a snare with ten lugs fits without one arm butting up against a lug. The whole basket can be rotated too, after find the right angle.