header.nohb.html

Tama Star - Walnut or Maple?

fusseltier

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
P
Which great drum factories switched from Taiwan to China ?? ..... Pearl Pro level is still Taiwan. ...... Tama and Yamaha primary pro level are in China.. but moved from Japan..... and the china stuff is as good as anything out there IMO.. Go examine a Yamaha Absolute Hybrid shell up close.. but don't compare it to anything American so you don't embarrass us Americans.. LOL
I'd never buy a Yamaha set since they aren't making them in Indonesia anymore. And I don't care what kind of quality you might get lucky with on a Chinese set, if I want a set I want it made where the company is from, not slave labor or funding the military expansion in my region.
Yamaha only makes traditional Japanese instruments in Japan and pearl higher end models are still made in Taiwan.
I'd only want a German Sonor, Taiwan Pearl, US Ludwig or Gretsch, Japanese Tama, British Premier. Etc. Keep the company and employees in business in their home country. I always try to not buy anything from China, but sometimes there is no choice and you have to.
I've never had Nike shoes and I was given an iPhone and never used it.

Mapex Always

Reaction score
P

I'd never buy a Yamaha set since they aren't making them in Indonesia anymore. And I don't care what kind of quality you might get lucky with on a Chinese set, if I want a set I want it made where the company is from, not slave labor or funding the military expansion in my region.
Yamaha only makes traditional Japanese instruments in Japan and pearl higher end models are still made in Taiwan.
I'd only want a German Sonor, Taiwan Pearl, US Ludwig or Gretsch, Japanese Tama, British Premier. Etc. Keep the company and employees in business in their home country. I always try to not buy anything from China, but sometimes there is no choice and you have to.
Respect on the “Nike shoes” comment …. As for build quality , @Steech , @Rhyma Hop , hope your both well , I’ve had countless American built kits with never a problem , and always special ….. many excellent China kits as well , always fantastically built …. The best set I ever played was built in Taiwan.

Point is , there is great exceptional build quality from everywhere …. Drums today , especially , are built top notch.

Right now with the 4 sets being built that I’m waiting on … America , Germany , Taiwan , Japan … I anticipate the “build quality” to be exceptional on each , and if I had another China kit on order , I would feel equally the same ,, past experiences have conditioned me for that.

Drum Mer

DFO Master
Reaction score
P

Each to each own, but Yamaha has had factories outside Japan for decades.

Including Taiwan, (Great Republic of China), the UK, and Indonesia (hardware and the earlier Stage Custom series).

The upgrade and expansion of their China located operations didn’t wasn’t new in itself.

All their factories, training of employees, work conditions, build quality, and traditional way of building are to Yamaha Japan’s standards and has always been, regardless demographic.

fusseltier

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
T
Each to each own, but Yamaha has had factories outside Japan for decades.

Including Taiwan, (Great Republic of China), the UK, and Indonesia (hardware and the earlier Stage Custom series).

The upgrade and expansion of their China located operations didn’t wasn’t new in itself.

All their factories, training of employees, work conditions, build quality, and traditional way of building are to Yamaha Japan’s standards and has always been, regardless demographic.
That depends on the day, like the days the factory inspection representatives are actually at the factory. When the inspector is away the mice will have lower motivation or incentive.

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
P

Just an FYI - the Yamaha PHX kits are still made in Hamamatsu Japan .

Drum Mer

DFO Master
Reaction score
T

That depends on the day, like the days the factory inspection representatives are actually at the factory. When the inspector is away the mice will have lower motivation or incentive.

I don’t know where you got that wrong information from, but that is clearly not the case (also it is a multi bilion company, not a school with teenage kids).

If it was like that, you would here about quality issues weekly from stores these kast decades or even the last 11 years the new dedicated factory has since been crafting instruments.

Last edited:

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know where you got that wrong information from, but that is clearly not the case (also it is a multi bilion company, not a school with teenage kids).

If it was like that, you would here about quality issues weekly from stores these kast decades or even the last 11 years the new dedicated factory has since been crafting instruments.
Agreed. I can’t imagine Yamaha allowing those kinds of slip-ups to happen in any of their factories, including the ones in China. And if it were to happen once it would be corrected immediately.

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Respect on the “Nike shoes” comment …. As for build quality , @Steech , @Rhyma Hop , hope your both well , I’ve had countless American built kits with never a problem , and always special ….. many excellent China kits as well , always fantastically built …. The best set I ever played was built in Taiwan.

Point is , there is great exceptional build quality from everywhere …. Drums today , especially , are built top notch.

I hear you.. I've had alot of american kits as well , and I never had anything completely horrible..... but my other kits were just a little better .. a little cleaner build.. in the extreme details. ..... I see the same thing in vehicles.. in the attention to detail.

Drum Mer

DFO Master
Reaction score
Agreed, although it wasn't an option, they sound rediculous, especially the snare

This was the Star Bubinga finished in Indian Laurel, I was contemplating a few weeks ago.

It was one sale for 3800,- and sounded delicious.

1642712995132.png
1642713186927.png

1642713071090.png

fusseltier

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's the way its always been in Chinese factories unless they have a company rep there to monitor production.
It used to be the days the reps are there the quality was better than the days the reps weren't there.
Unless things have changed for the better and they are adhering to the quality standards all the time, but they didn't in the past.

Drum Mer

DFO Master
Reaction score
That's the way its always been in Chinese factories unless they have a company rep there to monitor production.
It used to be the days the reps are there the quality was better than the days the reps weren't there.
Unless things have changed for the better and they are adhering to the quality standards all the time, but they didn't in the past.
I can ensure you at least Yamaha does (and has done so in the past).

I can't speak for other companies.