Tama Star - Walnut or Maple?

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fusseltier the PHX is made in the Hamamatsu factory in Japan . They a very small crew that hand crafts the PHX drums there . I am a former owner of a PHX kit . I am also friends with Sean Browne the International Marketing Manager for Yamaha and he told me about them prior to my purchase

Reaction score
Fusseltier the PHX is made in the Hamamatsu factory in Japan . They a very small crew that hand crafts the PHX drums there . I am a former owner of a PHX kit . I am also friends with Sean Browne the International Marketing Manager for Yamaha and he told me about them prior to my purchase
As a matter of fact,

The PHX has always been made there too.

There is no reason to question that statement Fusseltier.

fusseltier

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
All PHX series drums are made at a Yamaha factory in Japan, and the Absolute Hybrid Maple, Live Custom, Stage Custom Birch and Gigmaker are all made in China – with the Absolute Hybrid Maple and Stage Custom Birch being made in the brand new Yamaha Factory in China.
But when were the PHX made or did they start making them again recently? When I was looking for a new set Yamaha told me that only traditional Japanese instruments were made in Japan several years ago.

Reaction score
They always have been making them since their release in 2008.

There was a short stop last year, because the ash supplier went bankrupt due to covid, but they have found a new supplier and continued building again per this month.

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Stage Custom Birch being made in the brand new Yamaha Factory in China.

This is not true...... Yamaha Drum manager Jim Haler.. or "DrumNHands" on this forum.... has confirmed over and over that it is a Contractor that builds the Stage Custom Birch for Yamaha .....

If you don't believe me.... here is Jim himself to answer any questions: https://www.drumforum.org/members/drumnhands.7075/

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
They always have been making them since their release in 2008.

There was a short stop last year, because the ash supplier went bankrupt due to covid, but they have found a new supplier and continued building again per this month.

They never stopped making the Yamaha PHX with the maple outer veneer option just the Ash veneer option while they sourced a new supplier .

NobleCooleyNut

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back to the topic we originally started discussing . DCP just got in a gorgeous Star Maple kit in Ocean Blue curly maple finish . Might be the nicest finish I have ever seen .

fusseltier

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score