Tama Starclassic Maple or Gretsch renown?

joetires

Reaction score
I am playing a Tama B/B kit and looking to use a Maple kit as well. Any thoughts on Gretsch renown vs Starclassic Maple. Is the Tama warmer in tone or is the Renown have a more focused tone.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've never heard a direct comparison, but looking outside that, looking at build quality and attention to detail, I will always say Tama first.

Wxmaggot

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Opposite of Spinadude in the fact that I only have experience with Renowns (RN1, not the current model). They are certainly focused and are easily tuned. Trust me, I'm no expert on tuning. Just seems really easy to get a great sound going down or up.

I've posted about them a few times in threads like these. The build quality on mine was perfect. Edges nice and smooth. They are a little heavy, with sturdy hardware. All I can tell you is try to play them if you can. People have told me the sound very similar to USA customs. As for the newer models, I'm not sure. Good luck!

mpungercar

Reaction score
I've had both, and to my ears the two are very similar. It's pretty obvious to me Tama was aiming squarely at Gretsch when they came out with the Starclassic line. The Tamas can be had with or without "sound focus rings", so that can change the equation a bit. But all things being equal, I'd go for a Gretsch kit because... well, Gretsch. That said, all things aren't usually equal so I would pick the kit that had my preferred sizes.

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tama based on quality I have experienced with them vs. Gretsch over the year. Tama is always consistent. Students with Gretsch kits, snare, etc. regularly report odd flaws like hardware breaking on a drum, ply separation, etc.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aren't the Starclassic maples closer in price to the top of the line Gretsch kits?
I got the Renowns, but if money wasn't an issue I would have gotten Tama Starclassic maples.

joetires

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone. I am new to the forum and appreciate the info.

joetires

Reaction score
Any thoughts on the Pearl Masters Complete kits? I am maybe leaning toward the MC series.

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am playing a Tama B/B kit and looking to use a Maple kit as well. Any thoughts on Gretsch renown vs Starclassic Maple. Is the Tama warmer in tone or is the Renown have a more focused tone.
Starclassics are a professional line of drums, formerly, Tama's top of the line product. I would call Renown's Gretsch's mid-level product.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have owned both and the Tama Starclassic Maple is way more explosive and open sounding. No real comparison there. The Renowns are nice and cheaper but not in the same league.
Halldor speaks the truth . The Tama Starclassic Maples are wonderful drums . They are top of the line drums that have taken a backseat to Tama’s superb Star lines. The Starclassic Maples shouldn’t they are great drums in their own right .

bpaluzzi

Reaction score
Starclassics are a professional line of drums, formerly, Tama's top of the line product. I would call Renown's Gretsch's mid-level product.
As someone who plays Renowns, I can vouch for this. They sound _incredible_. But fit and finish isn't where it is for the Starclassics. Tension rods occasionally bind, memory locks get stripped. Little things. FWIW, I had a beautiful Starclassic B/B (in the incredible "Tigerwood" finish) that I purchased with intent to replace my Renowns, and when I got them in person, I preferred the sound of the Gretsch. But the Tama were gorgeous, and absolutely immaculate.

joetires

Reaction score
I can't say enough about my Tama B/B. I agree explosive and warm almost dark but huge sounding. Thanks!

kromerser

Reaction score
From personal experience, Tama stands behind their products.
I bought a Tama Starclassic Maple kit three years ago and unfortunately the bass drum was damaged by USPS and my dealer and Tama replaced it without any issues.
A year after that, I purchased a Broadkaster kit in a Gloss Finish from the same dealer which also arrived with multiple bass drum cracks and after a month of going back and forth with the dealer and the Gretsch factory they decided they would not do anything about it.
By the way, my bass drum jinx came to an end when I purchased my 3rd kit. :)

Last edited:

joetires

Reaction score
I bought a Tama Starclassic Maple kit three years ago and unfortunately the bass drum was damaged by USPS and my dealer and Tama replaced it without any issues.
A year after that, I purchased a Broadkaster kit in a Gloss Finish from the same dealer which also arrived with multiple bass drum cracks and after a month of going back and forth with the dealer and the Gretsch factory they decided they would not do anything about it.
By the way, my bass drum came to an end when I purchased my 3rd kit. :)
By the way, my bass drum came to an end when I purchased my 3rd kit. :)
Thanks! Tama has always been great. My only issue is with my 1978 Original Octaban stands that both wore out at the angle adjustment. Tama was not able to replace the stand. One stand I was able to have a machinist drill out with a new kind of bolt but I can not adjust it. I am able to play one set.