Tama Starclassic Maple snare issue

fuzzbomb

Reaction score
Hey DFO,

I have this Made in Japan Starclassic Maple snare that I bought used. It has kind of an odd problem I wanted to see if anyone had any insight on.

On the batter side, I noticed that the head was getting slack around two lugs. No problem, not unusual after playing a bit on a new head.

Re-tuned it. Saw wrinkles develop again after a few minutes. After a little closer examination I realized the hoop wasn't making good contact with the head collar. Almost like the hoop had been stretched out a little.
Took the hoop off, looked at it carefully. Came to the conclusion that the hoop was warped.

Okay...used drum, not that big a deal I guess. Order a new Tama hoop.
Put it on. Same thing. Okay, maybe it wasn't the hoop.

Maybe the drum shell itself is out of round?
It doesn't look like the lugs are crooked or loose, but I'm going to take a closer look...that might make the tension rods pull unevenly I guess.

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Try putting some Teflon tape on the tuning rods to see if they quit backing out.

fuzzbomb

Reaction score
Try putting some Teflon tape on the tuning rods to see if they quit backing out.
That's the thing, the tension rods are not backing out. The entire hoop is off-center so it's not putting pressure on the collar of the head under those tension rods. I ended up tightening the tension rods down until they bottomed out before I realized. I initially thought they were backing out or the head was defective.

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You sure it's not the head?
I bought a brand new Remo ambassador a while back and it was actually warped.

fuzzbomb

Reaction score
You sure it's not the head?
I bought a brand new Remo ambassador a while back and it was actually warped.
Unfortunately it's not the head, either. Two different heads, same exact thing.

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check to see if the shell itself is out of round. Also check to see if the bearing edges are level.

Reactions: egw

Piggpenn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not sure this is scientific or me making something up.

Do you have the same issue on the bottom side? If the shell is warped/out of round, it should be duplicatable on the snare side.

fuzzbomb

Reaction score
Not sure this is scientific or me making something up.

Do you have the same issue on the bottom side? If the shell is warped/out of round, it should be duplicatable on the snare side.
Hey that's a good question. No, the bottom has no issues and has maintained proper tension all the way around the head.

fuzzbomb

Reaction score
Check to see if the shell itself is out of round. Also check to see if the bearing edges are level.
Ah thanks, I'll get it on a genuinely flat surface and see if I can find any bearing edge issues.

Not sure how to check if the shell is out of round...but perhaps it'll be obvious to the eye in this case.

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Is the hoop out of round? I noticed a couple of my snares did this and it was the hoop being out of round switched it and it solved the problem

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its easy to bend or unwarp a hoop. Any update? All good advice above. Put the drum edge on a counter - does it lie flat? Are you tuning it evenly? Finger tighten one lug, the the opposite lug, then skip 2 over then that one, the opposite, and so on (starting at 12:00, the numbering going clockwise would be 1, 7, 4, 10, 5, 2, 8, 3, 9, 6). Once all are finger tight, do a full turn on each. Once done maybe another full turn to get it medium then hit it. Still have issues? Is the bottom head even and tight?

fuzzbomb

Reaction score
Okay, after taking the head off and carefully checking it on a flat surface. The bearing edge seems fine but I can see that the shell is slightly out of round.
Just the top though...the bottom seems okay. If the bottom's warped, it's not enough to see and not enough to make any difference with tuning.

Here's a pic, I put a clear snare side head on the top and you can clearly see where the shell is out of round.

So I guess the next question is...does anyone know if this is fixable? Does Tama do out-of-warranty work for a price?

Attachments

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like the shell is slightly caved in at that one lug. I've only seen that happen on marching drum under super high tension.

I would contact Precision Drum. It might be a case of working the shell back into round, and then adding a reinforcing ring to prevent it from happening again.

fuzzbomb

Reaction score
Yeah I have to wonder what whoever owned this before me did to the poor thing.

Piggpenn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I wonder if you could make a "slug/blank" the inside diameter of the shell and gradually force it into the opening and perhaps re-round the shell? I'm no wood worker so not sure if that makes sense or is doable. Maybe there are easier ways?

At least you've discovered the issue.

fuzzbomb

Reaction score
I wonder if you could make a "slug/blank" the inside diameter of the shell and gradually force it into the opening and perhaps re-round the shell? I'm no wood worker so not sure if that makes sense or is doable. Maybe there are easier ways?

At least you've discovered the issue.
Unfortunately, I don't have any sort of woodworking skills so I'm not gonna attempt any DIY on it.

fuzzbomb

Reaction score
Unfortunately Precision Drum didn't think it was fixable.

Tama USA said they couldn't help and Guitar Center said they wouldn't do anything since it was both used and purchased > 45 days ago. So, thanks GC for selling me a defective item and taking $300.

Piggpenn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Unfortunately Precision Drum didn't think it was fixable.

Tama USA said they couldn't help and Guitar Center said they wouldn't do anything since it was both used and purchased > 45 days ago. So, thanks GC for selling me a defective item and taking $300.
That is very disappointing to hear. Maybe look for a local wood working person that might have an interest in being challenged? When I was in Junior High School we had shop. We had metal class and we had woodworking class. Maybe talk to a shop teacher and see if they are looking for a project?