Tama Starclassic Maple snare issue

fuzzbomb

Reaction score
That is very disappointing to hear. Maybe look for a local wood working person that might have an interest in being challenged? When I was in Junior High School we had shop. We had metal class and we had woodworking class. Maybe talk to a shop teacher and see if they are looking for a project?
I may try something low-tech like just putting a little something to take up space on the inside of the drumhead collar at the "dented in" spot so that it doesn't slide anymore.

Or I may just harvest the hardware and buy a shell to use it on.

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would try installing a re ring yourself then or finding a drummer on here who could if gc and precision said not fixable

Piggpenn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I would try installing a re ring yourself then or finding a drummer on here who could if gc and precision said not fixable
Would you presume a seasoned shell maker could re-round that by steam bending?

If it could safely be softened without harming the outer finish and a ring inserted to force pressure on all sides I would think it would succumb to the outward pressure and resolve itself.

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Would you presume a seasoned shell maker could re-round that by steam bending?

If it could safely be softened without harming the outer finish and a ring inserted to force pressure on all sides I would think it would succumb to the outward pressure and resolve itself.
Possibly? I’m not to sure to be honest. Me personally I would try a rering before anything. It could end up being costly. Could cost more to fix then you paid for it and the. You have to ask yourself is it really worth putting that kind of money into? Or try and sell as is and chalk it up as a loss? I’ve take. A old 14” shell and made a rering out of it and fixed a couple out of round drums that way. There’s a few videos on you tube.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If the head is getting stuck on the shell, then the shell is out of round. If the head fits the shell without a problem and you are still having uneven tuning, then your bearing edge isn't flat or your hoop is bent. Since the hoop has been replaced and I'm sure another head has been tried, I would say you need a new edge cut and that's really simple to do.

ThomasL

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If the head is getting stuck on the shell, then the shell is out of round. If the head fits the shell without a problem and you are still having uneven tuning, then your bearing edge isn't flat or your hoop is bent. Since the hoop has been replaced and I'm sure another head has been tried, I would say you need a new edge cut and that's really simple to do.
Did you have a look at the pics?

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if you would do something like this to force it back into shape, and then add a re-ring.

90440206_833665503778359_544791286673329313_n.jpg

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Did you have a look at the pics?
Ah, didn't see there were photos. Yeah, that shell looks fubar'ed. Is there any cracking on/in the shell? It may have been dropped on that side. I'm quite sure Tama didn't sell this drum new in this condition.