Tama Starclassic Performer Birch 2000

Rossymac

Reaction score
Hi folks. Recently got my kit out of storage after 10 years and all the internal screws & washers are corroded. Snare Tom's and kick drum all need replacing. Trouble I am having is sourcing the correct size parts. Tama catalogue is vague at best. Can anybody help me to obtain the correct sizes. Amy help would be greatfull appreciated.
Cheers.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You can always take the fasteners to the hardware store or an industrial supplier and get the matched or measured for their metric sizes. Sometimes Tama isn't too good in getting these replaced or even offering them. And they tend to be expensive from some suppliers....like 50c per screw....that's nuts. But the Starclassics are still recent drums. So between Tama, DFD, Gibraltor, McMaster Carr, etc. those should be out there. Buying in bulk (we're talking hundreds) is your best value if you can find ways to sell the rest to others in the same boat. I'm not sure what the finish on those is. My 2005 SC BP were either painted black or powder coated black. I wouldn't have thought powder coated ones could corroded that easily. When storing drums try to bag them or at least plug the vent holes to minimize humid air exchange. Been there - done that - on both sides. It's not fun. Even with uncoated plain fasteners, you could have them painted black very easily.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'd soak em in that solution that prevents Boats from rusting; will turn all the screw black Or rub em all out by hand.
I'd not replace them; they can be cleaned sprayed or sprayed then cleaned... cleaned spray then sealed..
unless they rusted to dust

Rossymac

Reaction score
You can always take the fasteners to the hardware store or an industrial supplier and get the matched or measured for their metric sizes. Sometimes Tama isn't too good in getting these replaced or even offering them. And they tend to be expensive from some suppliers....like 50c per screw....that's nuts. But the Starclassics are still recent drums. So between Tama, DFD, Gibraltor, McMaster Carr, etc. those should be out there. Buying in bulk (we're talking hundreds) is your best value if you can find ways to sell the rest to others in the same boat. I'm not sure what the finish on those is. My 2005 SC BP were either painted black or powder coated black. I wouldn't have thought powder coated ones could corroded that easily. When storing drums try to bag them or at least plug the vent holes to minimize humid air exchange. Been there - done that - on both sides. It's not fun. Even with uncoated plain fasteners, you could have them painted black very easily.
Cheers for the reply. They were all stainless screws inside and all corroded. They were all cased and kept in a warm part of the house but never thought about plugging the vent holes. Looking at a few options now. Will keep you posted.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Tama has never used stainless fasteners on any of their drums.

Rossymac

Reaction score
Well you learn something new everyday. Thank you.
Thank you everybody who took the time to offer some assistance. Tama wanted upwards of £130 plus tax and delivery for a full set. Was speaking to my mate who suggested a local manufacturing company. Took in what I needed, and left 15 minutes later with x200 pieces of each component (600 pieces in total) for a touch over £17. What an absolute bargain.
Admittedly they are stainless and not zinc plated as stated earlier in the thread but for that price I'm not going to argue.
So thanks again for all the help folks. Stay safe.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not to rain on your parade but mixing Stainless steel screws with Zinc lugs will end badly. Mixing dissimilar metals will cause galvanic corrosion. Zinc and stainless is one of the worst combinations. What this means is that they will react with each other and start corroding. Eventually you will not be able to get the fasteners lose. Given enough time the screws may split the part of the lug where the screws screw into. Yellow is bad in this chart. Red is the worst.

Rossymac

Reaction score
Not to rain on your parade but mixing Stainless steel screws with Zinc lugs will end badly. Mixing dissimilar metals will cause galvanic corrosion. Zinc and stainless is one of the worst combinations. What this means is that they will react with each other and start corroding. Eventually you will not be able to get the fasteners lose. Given enough time the screws may split the part of the lug where the screws screw into. Yellow is bad in this chart. Red is the worst.

Thanks again thin shell for the words of wisdom. It's taken 21 years to get to this point so I'm gonna take a punt that I can get a few more years out of the kit b4 I finally retire her.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Another warning. It's very possible that same corrosion made it to the interior of your lugs. If those lug internals are not chrome plated, and just unfinished zinc, I almost guarantee that problem is festering inside. Had to do that to a set of 80's superstars. Every lug came off and was treated and neutralized. If only they had plated or powder coated those lug internals. Even a light layer of clear coat, oil or some other protectant would have been better than nothing. I suggest removing at least one lug and checking it.

Rossymac

Reaction score
Another warning. It's very possible that same corrosion made it to the interior of your lugs. If those lug internals are not chrome plated, and just unfinished zinc, I almost guarantee that problem is festering inside. Had to do that to a set of 80's superstars. Every lug came off and was treated and neutralized. If only they had plated or powder coated those lug internals. Even a light layer of clear coat, oil or some other protectant would have been better than nothing. I suggest removing at least one lug and checking it.
All checked b4 rebuild and no corrosion that I can see. Applied a little Vaseline to them which will help. Thanks for your concern.

unregisteredalien

Reaction score
Thanks again thin shell for the words of wisdom. It's taken 21 years to get to this point so I'm gonna take a punt that I can get a few more years out of the kit b4 I finally retire her.
Your drums, your call, but I have birch Starclassics of that vintage and I like them enough to go back and pay another 17 quid for the zinc-plated versions of those fixings! Surely they'd be available...

I also had my set in storage for about 12 years and thank the drumming gods that I didn't get corrosion like yours, just some pitting on the tom arms which I suspect weren't stored properly.

Last edited:

Latest posts