header.nohb.html

Tama Starclassic question

TeeBop

Reaction score
Do either of you know the reason for yellow being on this badge? Time period stamp or something else? I can't find any information on the internet that relates specifically to this badge.
Thank you

Attachments

• Star Badge.jpg
    Star Badge.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 120
  • Star Kick.jpg
    Star Kick.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 112

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Do either of you know the reason for yellow being on this badge? Time period stamp or something else? I can't find any information on the internet that relates specifically to this badge.
Thank you
@TeeBop - regarding your pictures
that's the top top top end series Starclassic were available in either all-birch or all-maple. the wood trim around air vent. introductory series. the "badge" lacquered over
Starclassic 1994-95
Back To The Basics is the catalog
there was even a VHS that went along
with the series introduction
good times
(in the vhs Bill Bruford's little talk and section about the drums has him playing a beat I never heard anywhere else Great stuff) yes I have the catalog and the vhs. The Starclassic was a big deal in the drum world at the time.
Simon Phillips, Kenny Aronoff, Lenny White, Joel Rosenblatt, Bill Bruford, Rayford Griffin are all in the catalog. 1994.
under "90s" https://www.tama.com/usa/support/catalogs/
paper catalog PDF is here:
the VHS is rarely seen

Last edited:

Skins_in_the_game

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you

Yes, I bid on those drums as well. You can thank me for telling them to include the stands for the Toms in the lot as they had them in a separate lot with a bunch of other stands. I'm here local where they are and they are nice drums.
Was the bass a 24, and what was the size of the snare, a 14 or 13? I could not tell from the pics, and they did not allow previewing them in person.

If you are going to keep them, Precision Drums will cut those power toms down for $25 a drum. At 300 for a 5 piece kit you got a great deal and worth getting modified to modern sized depth.
classics.jpg

Last edited:

TeeBop

Reaction score
Wowser, what a coincidence .Thank you for responding. .. my fear is the packaging and shipping. The auction company is swamped and said they can't do anything with shipping the kit until next week. Nikki is the one handling the project and this will be her firs time shipping drums. aaahhh!!!! and thank you for the stands. haha .. I did notice they were a later add on. so I'm not sure at all of the drum sizes. It is a big kit and I am excited to see it, if I ever do . lol

Ted

TeeBop

Reaction score
@TeeBop - regarding your pictures
that's the top top top end series Starclassic were available in either all-birch or all-maple. the wood trim around air vent. introductory series. the "badge" lacquered over
Starclassic 1994-95
Back To The Basics is the catalog
there was even a VHS that went along
with the series introduction
good times
(in that video Bill Bruford's little talk and section about the drums has him playing a beat I never heard anywhere else Great stuff) yes I have the catalog and the vhs. The Starclassic was a big deal in the drum world at the time.
Simon Phillips, Kenny Aronoff, Lenny White, Joel Rosenblatt, Bill Bruford, Rayford Griffin are all in the catalog. 1994.
under "90s" https://www.tama.com/usa/support/catalogs/
paper catalog PDF is here:
the VHS is rarely seen

thank you so much for the response .. this is an exciting moment for me. I have an 80's Tama 8 x 14 snare I really like. Hoping these drums will deliver the same joy .. I've heard the birch shells aren't for everyone. this will be my first

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I wouldn't necessarily cut those toms; it's part of the fusion-vibe of the era

167579838_727021307973862_5437838422231007911_n.jpg

find a 10"

:D

(did you buy them? are they on their way?..
@TeeBop

Last edited:

TeeBop

Reaction score
Thank you ..here’s the snare

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 43

TeeBop

Reaction score
I wouldn't necessarily cut those toms; it's part of the fusion-vibe of the era

167579838_727021307973862_5437838422231007911_n.jpg

find a 10"

:D

(did you buy them? are they on their way?..
@TeeBop
yes I bought them .. hopefully see them next week. Wow, that is a beautiful kit .. is that what you have?

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
oh heavens No.. that was back in the day from the catalog

Does "your" set have one mounted and two Floors? what is the out fit dimensions +_/-
@TeeBop

TeeBop

Reaction score
oh heavens No.. that was back in the day from the catalog

Does "your" set have one mounted and two Floors? what is the out fit dimensions +_/-
@TeeBop
This is how they appeared when I bought them. there's one odd ball drum upside down.... this photo and a few more is all I have to go by .. I'm hoping for the best when they arrive next week.

Attachments

• black starclassics.jpg
    black starclassics.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 43

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score

Skins_in_the_game

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had looked at the original photos as best I could and I could see two mounted toms and the matching floor tom with leg brackets, but no legs, Then there is that odd floor tom (concert style) with the re-rings. Makes sense because there are only two tom stands in all the pics of the stands that they were selling.

TeeBop

Reaction score
thanks for your input .. you guys are amazing with your wealth of knowledge. I just received the drums today and here are the measurements .. snare is 7 x 14, toms are 12 x 12, 14 x 14 and 16 x 16 and the kick is 22 x 16 .. really nice drums and in pretty good shape. his is my first full TAMA kit and excited to get it up and running. The hardware is in great shape, no rust or pitting but a few knicks and dings on the drums shells. I'm interested to see if anyone knows about signatures on the serial number sticker inside the drum? Anything special or common for all TAMA drums??

Attachments

• TAMA SC snare.jpg
    TAMA SC snare.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 44
  • SC mounting system.jpg
    SC mounting system.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 46
  • starclassic logo.jpg
    starclassic logo.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 44
  • TAMA SC badge.jpg
    TAMA SC badge.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 52
  • TAMA SC Snare serial number.jpg
    TAMA SC Snare serial number.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 46

HalldorL

DFO Master
Reaction score
The signature is the name of the inspector of the drums. I visited the factory in Japan back in 2017 and it’s the guy who inspects and puts the sticker inside.

Your drums are very early Starclassics, most likely from the year they first came out, 1994.

TeeBop

Reaction score
Thank you halldorl. That must have been a treat touring the TAMA factory. Were you there for endorsement, buying, picking up a free drum kit?

HalldorL

DFO Master
Reaction score

TeeBop

Reaction score
The 16" floor tom is missing the legs .. I'm searching if anyone has spares and wondering if the 1994 floor tom legs are different from the later versions of starclassic legs?