TAMA SUPERSTAR CLASSIC NEO-MOD KIT

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts on these? The sizes are amazing and the price is stoopid good, it would seem. I only wish the bass drums was 10 X 22 instead of 10 x 20. Big dudes need bigger bass drums to hide behind...

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just bought a set. Big sound for shallow drums - just swap out the heads. Top quality hardware and finish. I really like them. As opposed to the kits with the tiny bass drum, this has a great punch due to the 20” diameter, and actually takes up less real estate. The price is right, and my local shop honored a Cascio 25% off deal, so even better.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
I just bought a set. Big sound for shallow drums - just swap out the heads. Top quality hardware and finish. I really like them. As opposed to the kits with the tiny bass drum, this has a great punch due to the 20” diameter, and actually takes up less real estate. The price is right, and my local shop honored a Cascio 25% off deal, so even better.
Awesome! Which finish did you choose? Do you mic your bass drum? Did you stay with single ply batters or go with 2-ply?

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Awesome! Which finish did you choose? Do you mic your bass drum? Did you stay with single ply batters or go with 2-ply?
I am mostly using this kit for rehearsals in small rooms and will probably use it for coffe shop type gigs and small bars. Therefore, I am trying to bring the volume down, so for toms I have coated emperor batters and coated ambassador resonants - they sound pretty fat despite the shallow depth. For the bass drum I used a pinstripe batter and a ported Evans EQ3 with an Evans pillow just because I had them laying around, and again I am trying to reduce the volume a bit. The stock tom heads were poor quality but the stock bass drum heads seemed decent. When the bass was wide open and unported it had a great punch. I have not miced the bass drum but I think it would work well. I think this kit would work well for your average volume rock band situation in an average size bar. I think it would perform admirably unmiced in that setting. I just have not had the opportunity to take it out for a louder gig. I got the smoke white finish - it looks classy, and I personally dislike blue drums so the other two options were out for me. I do wish they offered more finish choices.

mtarrani

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have been eyeing one of those kits. They are definitely sizes that appeal to me. I'm a big fan of shallow bass drums. What's holding me back is I have seven kits already, and two of those have not been touched in over two years. I just cannot bring myself to purchase yet another kit ... but if I did, the Superstar Classic Neo Mod would be the one.,

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have been eyeing one of those kits. They are definitely sizes that appeal to me. I'm a big fan of shallow bass drums. What's holding me back is I have seven kits already, and two of those have not been touched in over two years. I just cannot bring myself to purchase yet another kit ... but if I did, the Superstar Classic Neo Mod would be the one.,
exactly. This would be an extremely useful kit for me. Next to the new Gretsch Broadcasters and the Yamaha Club Customs. Hard to pull the trigger..

I was talking about this kit tho with a drum salesman I trust. This would sound better with a shallow 15 floor...

hector48

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just bought this kit, and I like it.
The toms sound great. The shallow depths don't hurt the tone at all, imo.
Bass drum is a little thin sounding, but I'm used to 22" BDs.
Sure beats a 16" or 18" BD.
I also considered the DW Frequent Flyer when I bought the Tama.
All of the drums are slightly deeper in depth, and the maple is N. American.
However, the cost is double that of the Tama.
Can't imagine it sounding "twice as good".

Targalx

Reaction score
Wow! Those are impressive tom tones. I am very surprised to hear that much sound out of a kit like that. Really cool.

Latest posts