Tama Superstar Classic recording

bleen

Reaction score
I wanted to show what was possible with a sub-$1k kit; proper heads make a huge difference over the stock ones. Improvised with no forethought and one take.

Do yourself a favor and watch it on YT instead of the embedded 360p.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Agree, Dan. That was some sweet stick swinging there.

bleen

Reaction score
Thanks, gents! It was a blast to have a quick bash like that.

Chunkaway

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nice playing, Don. This is not meant in an offensive manner, and I do realize the Classic Maple kit costs more, but I prefer the sound of the blue CM kit you used to have. If I'm honest I also prefer the sound of the Ludwig Standard kit you had, but that is probably due to my preference for vintage sounding kits in general. I do think this Tama produces clear, articulate notes though. And I agree, for the price, this is a nice sounding kit.

bleen

Reaction score
Chunkaway said:
Nice playing, Don. This is not meant in an offensive manner, and I do realize the Classic Maple kit costs more, but I prefer the sound of the blue CM kit you used to have. If I'm honest I also prefer the sound of the Ludwig Standard kit you had, but that is probably due to my preference for vintage sounding kits in general. I do think this Tama produces clear, articulate notes though. And I agree, for the price, this is a nice sounding kit.
No offense taken! It's definitely a "modern" sounding kit. I really just wanted to show that a 7pc kit, including a snare, for under $1k could still be a viable option for folks thinking they need to spend megabucks to get something decent.

Chunkaway

DFO Master
Reaction score
bleen said:
No offense taken! It's definitely a "modern" sounding kit. I really just wanted to show that a 7pc kit, including a snare, for under $1k could still be a viable option for folks thinking they need to spend megabucks to get something decent.
I also just wanted to let you know, I go back every so often and watch the Ludwig videos just because I love the playing and the sounds. I'm definitely biased, but I did enjoy this Tama video as well. Please keep posting more videos.

Ukboy

Reaction score
Really nice playing and sound.
What heads did you put on the kit?

bleen

Reaction score
Ukboy said:
Really nice playing and sound.
What heads did you put on the kit?
Thanks! Toms have G2 batter/G1 reso, kick is an EQ4 batter and the Tama logo head the kit came with. Snare is G1 batter/Hazy300 snare side.

Ukboy

Reaction score
Thanks for the info'.
I forgot to mention, I also really like the video with you playing
the JM kit. The vocals, song and drums all sounded really good.

bleen

Reaction score
Ukboy said:
Thanks for the info'.
I forgot to mention, I also really like the video with you playing
the JM kit. The vocals, song and drums all sounded really good.
Awesome - thank you! We actually released that song and have since released another if you would like to hear a more finalized version than the one in the video: https://gaillion.bandcamp.com/

JulianFernandez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sounds great... You could have tons of views doing How To youtubevids... Recording drums, mixing drums, general approach. Just and idea! ;)
Thanks for sharing...

bleen

Reaction score
JulianFernandez said:
Sounds great... You could have tons of views doing How To youtubevids... Recording drums, mixing drums, general approach. Just and idea! ;)
Thanks for sharing...
Thanks, Julian! You've been a good inspiration to me to keep making these and even making my first tuning one a few years ago. I still think about taking it further, but have limited time and after being in the studio all day for my job, it's sometimes hard to muster the energy to be in there longer and do more.

Not ruling it out!

Ukboy

Reaction score
Thanks for the Gaillion link Don, you guys have a great sound, I enjoyed listening.

bleen

Reaction score
Ukboy said:
Thanks for the Gaillion link Don, you guys have a great sound, I enjoyed listening.
Thanks! They were my band back in high school and we've started making music together again. Pretty crazy!

JulianFernandez

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
bleen said:
Thanks for sharing...
Thanks, Julian! You've been a good inspiration to me to keep making these and even making my first tuning one a few years ago. I still think about taking it further, but have limited time and after being in the studio all day for my job, it's sometimes hard to muster the energy to be in there longer and do more.

Not ruling it out!
Thanks... You´ve been an inspiration for upgrading my game and keep recording... I remember the tuning vid! It was great! :D

Cheers!

Drum Gear Review

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This video looks excellent, the drums sound spectacular, and your playing is outstanding. Subscribing to your channel.

What's your camera?

bleen

Reaction score
Drum Gear Review said:
This video looks excellent, the drums sound spectacular, and your playing is outstanding. Subscribing to your channel.

What's your camera?
Thanks so much! The front camera was a borrowed Canon T3i with a Tamron wide-angle; the side camera is my Nikon D7100 with an old Nikkor lens.

Latest posts