Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive- thoughts?

Malc

Reaction score
I've been looking around recently for an alternative kit to my 80's Premier Resonators, just to have something slightly different for a change,and have seen a Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive locally advertised.
The thing that draws me to them,apart from the price is the shorter toms and an undrilled BD (10/12/14/16/22), as my Premiers have rather large toms, which are quite high over the 24" BD and heavy to load in and out.
My question really is, are the short toms a bit weak ( I sit behind a rock covers band) or with decent heads do they cut through?
Talking of heads, I'd probably use G2's over G1's or is there a magic head combo out there for this kit?
P.s My Premiers won't be going anywhere either way!

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The shorter toms will have more "pop" to them than a deeper drum. Certainly they will cut through the mix, but their sound will decay quicker and it will seem as they have less resonance. When put in a band environment, I don't think you will notice the faster decay.

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had a Tama superstar hyperdrive and for me the turn off was the deep bass drum - I think 20” deep. Difficult to fit in a vehicle, takes up a lot of space on narrow stages. What I liked were the shallow toms. I always have trouble fitting 9” deep or deeper toms where I want them, so the hyper drives worked well for that. I sold my kit because of the bass drum and the Tama white wrap turned yellow. If you like shallower toms and don’t want a cannon bass drum I would recommend the Tama superstar classic Neo mod kits - the toms are shorter, and the bass drums are 20” or 22” but only 10” deep. I have found this size to be very versatile. I use them for jazz, rock, everything. A bit more expensive, but also super nice are the Inde Wayfarer kits and Twin Cities Drum Collective’s Travel Dates kits.

Malc

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and I actually hadn't figured in the deep BD.
I think I'll try and arrange a visit to look at them and see what they're like in the flesh
I've also seen a Natal original birch kit not too far away that also has quite shallow toms

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Also, if you like the fact that the hyperdrive kick is undrilled (virgin), most recent Tama tom mounts are designed so the post does not protrude through the bass drum shell. You can take off the mount from the bass drum and just plug four little holes, and voila it looks like a virgin kick. Honestly, I think the Virgin kick idea is overrated, but if it’s important to you, you can achieve the same look with most newer tama’s.

MitchLyons

Reaction score
Tama makes the most solid drums and hardware on the market in my opinion, you won't be disappointed at all. The Superstars are significantly nicer than their intermediate level counterparts with the diecast hoops and robust shell hardware. The Hyperdrive toms sound great but look a little strange for tall players like me, since I set my toms up pretty high, and I'm not a fan of the 20" deep bass drum, which is why I've never personally owned one. My good friend had a set of them for a while and it was always great to play on those drums when I could.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Tommy D and MitchLyons pretty much summed it up.

Had a set of these for a short while, got them as a gift so, I didn't mind that they weren't in the right sonic palette for most of what I play (and I didn't play much at the time). Being a shorter dude I quite liked the shorter toms, they were punchy with a focus on mids. The kick was a cannon, but I didn't like the looks of it either. But ultimately I wanted something a little warmer and fatter and with more of a vintage vibe. If you play any kind of modern-ish genre in the rock family tree, these punch above their weight for the price.

Malc

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies all.
I had a look at the Tama's today and even though they sounded good the shallow toms just looked odd over that long BD in real life to me.
Having thought a bit about it, I'm now on the look out for a smaller 20" BD to compliment my kit as well as a 10" tom,which should give me a more flexible shell bank to cover all of the types of gig I'm likely to be playing.