Tama Superstar Maple shell...smoking gun....

mudjacker2

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Attachments

mudjacker2

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Dean said:
I saw that, and in the wake of the Yellow Camco, Way investigation I almost brought it up myself, I know its been smashed around , here and on other sites, but hopefully it will get a healthy revisit. There is also a set in MD on ebay that has the same claim.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310899396191?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648
Yes...those are listed by Richard King too(same guy). Im certain these are legit and RK is a very reliable seller.....BUT, wth, these are coming out of the wood work????? Here is yet another person making the same claim....but I dont trust this one. Way too much out of whack........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ca-1985-Tama-Superstar-kit-Rare-5-ply-USA-Keller-shells-EC-/151245366130?pt=US_Drums&hash=item2336ed2372

67Mopar

God Speed Jerry
Reaction score
Mudjacker2 said:
I saw that, and in the wake of the Yellow Camco, Way investigation I almost brought it up myself, I know its been smashed around , here and on other sites, but hopefully it will get a healthy revisit. There is also a set in MD on ebay that has the same claim.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/310899396191?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648
Yes...those are listed by Richard King too(same guy). Im certain these are legit and RK is a very reliable seller.....BUT, wth, these are coming out of the wood work????? Here is yet another person making the same claim....but I dont trust this one. Way too much out of whack........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ca-1985-Tama-Superstar-kit-Rare-5-ply-USA-Keller-shells-EC-/151245366130?pt=US_Drums&hash=item2336ed2372
Funny when i typed the reply I typed anther guy in NC, (these have been on for a while) then when I went to get th elink, I saw it was MD, so yea those as well. Is there any time lag after the sale, I thought DW got the inventory and Tama got the name, which explaines the that tamco style set Hoshino thingy. It give me a heeadache, but I always hope some new user will chime in and say, they know something on this subject first hand.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
looks like birch to me.

They made birch superstars with rerings on the first generation superstars. Noting out of the ordinary there.

It also has the angled seam. That was a Tama thing. Camco never did that.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Mudjacker2 said:

those are all birch first generation superstars. Nothing out of the ordinary.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A Camco shell would have a straight seam, methinks. All the latest eBay "camco" Tamas are the early birch Supes with re-rings. I did see a snare that looked to be a straight-seamed Camco shell some time ago.

FWIW, I don't hear bad things about the early re-ringed Superstars.

Dan

imthebeat

Reaction score
I agree with Thin, matte finish birch shells, 9600 Series, 4 ply 6 mm shell with reinforcing rings, Tama angled seam. 1977- to early '79
The Mega8 snare was the only maple shell with a Tama badge in the late 70's, no re-rings, vertical seam

67Mopar

God Speed Jerry
Reaction score
yep yep yep, the slanted seam gives it away, good eye Thin Shell

mudjacker2

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ok....I did see the angled seam and dwelled on that for a sec. But boy, that tom pic that I posted really looks a lot like maple. So, if your telling me thats birch, then so be it. Out of all the Superstar kits Ive had, still never got one with these rings....But, since ImTheBeat has one right there, I will trust what you guys are telling me.....so the mystery continues.....or not.

The second kit threw me, as he said it's a 1985, which would be like 10 years too late(for a keller shell kit).....Now, I see the shells are older 70's, but much of the hardware has been replaced with 80's stuff. So, without looking real close the first time, I just decided it was an 80's kit and the seller was full of hot air.....

Thanks for the info fellas

SlingaLud

Reaction score
The 1978/79 Tama Superstar shells were a Birch and Maple blend as stated in the 1978 catalog. Even the interiors all look like birch in the pre 1980 drum shells.
If you want L.A. era Camco shells, DW was making their drums from the left over shell stock that Keller had pre-made on hand and in stock designated for Camco. Tama had purchased the blueprints and design rights to the Camco shells so DW was able to utilize the left over shells that Keller had made and that were designated for Camco by changing the depth and the bearing edges of the drum shells. I think they call it circumvention... Which they did, I have one of the 1st snare drums that DW made and it's identical in every way to my mid 70s 6.5x14" L.A. era camco snare drum with the exception of the depth and the bearing edges...All the 1st and second year drum kits were made up of these shells and all having a shell diameter of 3/16" to 1/4" smaller than standard sizes. Dws sizes were 16x22,16x24" 17x16", 17x18" 10x12" etc etc..Orangeme was the second owner of one of DWs 1st year drum kits and even the photos of the exteriors one can see the tension rod splay from undersized shells.
The question, "What happened to the left over L.A. era Camcos shells" has been asked for years and has gone unanswered... I believe we were all looking in the wrong places, and assuming these shells were already at the Camco facility and pre-cut to the depth size. Evidence points to the facts that the shells that were all pre-made (6ply Maple shells with 6ply Maple re-rings that were 1/4" to 3/16" smaller than standard) and designated for Camco were at The Keller factory and had not yet been cut for depth or shipped out.

tamadrm

DFO Master
Reaction score
imthebeat said:
I agree with Thin, matte finish birch shells, 9600 Series, 4 ply 6 mm shell with reinforcing rings, Tama angled seam. 1977- to early '79
The Mega8 snare was the only maple shell with a Tama badge in the late 70's, no re-rings, vertical seam
+1.Those shells were 100% birch,the finish was called "super maple"or "natural maple",however,there was NO maple used in their construction,The same is true of super mahogany and custom walnut.They were just the name of the finish,and neither walnut or mahogany was used in their construction.The 9600,9700 and 9800 series were 100% Japanese birch,and maple was NOT used in their construction.The mention of maple being used in superstar shells,was a printing error.

Steve B

SlingaLud

Reaction score
tamadrm said:
+1.Those shells were 100% birch,the finish was called "super maple"or "natural maple",however,there was NO maple used in their construction,The same is true of super mahogany and custom walnut.They were just the name of the finish,and neither walnut or mahogany was used in their construction.The 9600,9700 and 9800 series were 100% Japanese birch,and maple was NOT used in their construction.The mention of maple being used in superstar shells,was a printing error.

Steve B
I stand corrected, I assumed the 78 catalog was correct. Thanks Steve, and Thin. Excellent drums for sure and seriously at close to, or at the top of the list for the best sounding drums that were available in 78 & 79. One of my few bucket list kits in Natural Maple finish. If I can ever find a 1978 ( 24",13",16",18" ) and lucky enough to get a matching 6.5x14" SD.

drums147

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So . . . were there maple shelled first generation Tama Superstars or not? Sorry, you kind of lost me . . . I had always been told if they had reinforcing rings they were maple, but the grain on the kit on eBay certainly looks like birch (looks like the old natural Premiers).

If there were first generation maple were they Camco shells . . . I know Tama did produce some Camco kits . . .

Is there a way to tell maple from birch (sometimes it is difficult to tell the difference in the grain unless you have both woods to compare). What about plys . . . how many plys in shell . . . in re-ring . . . what else?

I love these early Superstars and would someday like to find a kit . . . when I bought my first professional kit they were my Rogers Sunburst, BUT I had a mahogany stain Superstar kit on order (with money down), but the small shop I was working with kept getting back-ordered . . . when I found my Rogers I fell in love with them, canceled the Tamas, and purchased the Rogers.

I am now a Rogers nut, but I wonder what my interests and influences might be today if I had got the Tamas instead . . . you know it's kind of goofy, but my whole life would be different if I had . . . seriously . . . all the friends I have made because of my obsession with Rogers drums and American drums . . . people I meet because they came up and admired the Tobacco Sunburst finish on the Rogers . . . amazing when we start thinking about how something as simple as the brand of drums you buy could change your whole life . . .

Well enough about me . . . sorry to get off track . . . . tell us more about the early Tama Superstars and educate us on the early, early maple shells (if there really were any) . . . thanks . . . NAD

imthebeat

Reaction score
The maple vs. birch Superstar discussion comes up on another forum devoted exclusively to Tama drums, from an expert (not me)

" That catalogue is generally considered to be stretching the truth :)

The only maple Tamas prior to Artstar I BEM were a snare called the MEGA8 Maple, which were old Camco shells. They are easy to tell from others as they have a straight seam as opposed to the typical Tama diagonal seam."

full topic here:
http://forum.tama.com/yaf_postst12230_Tama-Mastercraft-from-POLAND---HELP-PLEASE.aspx