TAMA SUPERSTAR METAL SNARE WITH PARALLEL ACTION - INFO?

cofla

Reaction score
Hi guys, I saw today in a local store just a shell with the parallel action strainer in very good condition with the original snares in very good condition too.
This is just the shell, no lugs no hoops.
I'm a sucker for parallel action particularly because the snare extend the shell, etc., I had many years ago a Slingerland 61/2x14 TDR that was not parallel action but the snares extended, I had also a 70's Black Beauty Supersensitive and played many times on friend's Premier 2000 metal, and I liked all of this snares.

Was this a good snare? Was it steel?
Somebody know the exact distance between center of holes for the lugs, I could buy 10 lugs as long as I have the exact measurements, we measured very rapidly 1''7/8, is that the correct distance?
I have checked in one of the sites that sells hardware parts but I have not seen anything in that size, maybe I got it wrong and is 2'', thinking about tube lugs.
I have also a set of single flange hoops (brass) that I'm not presently using, I could put those.

The shell with the strainer is being sold for around $18 USD, is ridiculous so I could invest some money in the parts if the snare ends up being really nice, not that I need one more snare, I have a few and varied but..... at this price.....even if I have to add a $50 or $60 to finish it, putting my hoops.

Thanks for your info guys, I will appreciate.

E.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Are you referring to the Tama King Beat snare drum? If so, they are really nice drums! The shell is seamless steel. As to the lugs, that will be a small issue. Like Rogers Beavertail snare lugs, the center-to-center spacing of the Tama lug is also 1-15/16". Pretty much all Tama lugs for their snare drums are still 1-15/16". Still, for only $18, that shell and strainer is a bargain!

-Mark

Attachments

cofla

Reaction score
Thanks guys good info and fast, appreciate
Hey Joe, this is rounabout12 in CH, thanks, do you think it's worth the trouble finding the lugs, etc?

E..

cofla

Reaction score
idrum4fun said:
Are you referring to the Tama King Beat snare drum? If so, they are really nice drums! The shell is seamless steel. As to the lugs, that will be a small issue. Like Rogers Beavertail snare lugs, the center-to-center spacing of the Tama lug is also 1-15/16". Pretty much all Tama lugs for their snare drums are still 1-15/16". Still, for only $18, that shell and strainer is a bargain!

-Mark
Yes, it looks like your picture, do you think I can get the exact hole spacing in the lugs from some of the retailers or have to be only Tama that fits that?

Would a 2'' lug fit in the holes if I extend them a tiny bit or maybe even without extending, just within the tolerance in the building of the drum?.

E.

cofla

Reaction score
JDA said:
Look in the 81/82 Tama catalogs. Roller-type came with Superstar sets. had one.
But there were a few others that were different
http://www.drumarchive.com/
I just check the catalogs in your link and found it, in the 1982, is the model King Beat.

E.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The difference between 1-15/16" and 2" is only 1/16". It's easy to use a round metal file to lengthen each hole only 1/32". Just not sure how easy to file the Tama steel shell! I did this on a Rogers Dynasonic COB shell to accept 2" tube lugs. Very easy to file the brass shell. Here's some pictures of the Rogers drum. The cup washers easily covered up the fact that the holes were slightly lengthened.

-Mark

Attachments

cofla

Reaction score
idrum4fun said:
The difference between 1-15/16" and 2" is only 1/16". It's easy to use a round metal file to lengthen each hole only 1/32". Just not sure how easy to file the Tama steel shell! I did this on a Rogers Dynasonic COB shell to accept 2" tube lugs. Very easy to file the brass shell. Here's some pictures of the Rogers drum. The cup washers easily covered up the fact that the holes were slightly lengthened.

-Mark
Thanks, yes I have already calculate what it is metric, sizes given in Tama catalog, filing 1/32 is a very good idea.

E.

cofla

Reaction score
latzanimal said:
I put some tube lugs from All Star on my metal Tama snare. The set screw makes them adjustable without modifying the drum....
That is what I want to do, put tube lugs, but what do you mean by ''set screws makes them adjustable''?
It's only the lugs sell by All Star that have this feature or other companie's lugs would have it too?

E.

latzanimal

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Halfway between the Quads and the Windy City...
The lugs from World max are pressed on meaning they are NOT adjustable.

On All Star lugs, and probably some other companies, the tube is held by a tiny set screw that runs up through the post, using the same threads that the screw to hold it to the shell uses.. It is adjustable with an allen wrench up thru the post. the tube would fall right out of the post if these set screws were not in place. I made a jig to adjust the lugs before mounting to the shell...

If i remember in the morning, I can try and take a pic or 2. if I remember...

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
There is also a fella on VDF who figured out that house tube lugs from stdrums in Germany fit the Kingbeat perfectly, I ordered a set for one of my 8056's and they worked out great. I'll get a picture for you as well as a link to the lugs. Here is a link to a full set of Tama Mighty Lugs that will fit the snare but this set is very expensive.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/80s-Japan-TAMA-MasterCraft-High-Tension-Mighty-LUGS-Complete-Set-10-EXCLNT-/121901059872?hash=item1c61de8f20:g:lgMAAOSwB4NWyQ7s

Attachments

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
cofla said:
Thanks guys good info and fast, appreciate
Hey Joe, this is rounabout12 in CH, thanks, do you think it's worth the trouble finding the lugs, etc?

E..
No. me personally? no.
hate to say that. but no.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
latzanimal said:
I put some tube lugs from All Star on my metal Tama snare. The set screw makes them adjustable without modifying the drum....
Excellent idea! I was not aware of these lugs and will check them out.

-Mark

cofla

Reaction score
Finally I bought it today, I have also remember and found in my house that I had a pristine condition set of die cast hoops with the snare side with a gate, so that means even less expense to put it up to date, I'm ordering tomorrow the tube lugs, just cleaned up the shell and it is in great condition.

E.

PS : the badge says Imperialstar

latzanimal

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Halfway between the Quads and the Windy City...
idrum4fun said:
Excellent idea! I was not aware of these lugs and will check them out.

-Mark
Mark, for me it was a no brainer. The original lugs are prone to cracking and trying to find replacements, and then the price of them when you do.... well, fuggetaboutit..

I am also more concerned with the sound and I like the looks of those tubes...

http://www.allstardrum.com