Tama Superstar Natural Maple 1979

singleflammedmill

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here's my latest acquisition.
It's a 1979 Tama Superstar Natural Maple.
The dimensions are 22X14, 12X8, 13X9, 16X16.
It goes pretty well with my vintage Tama Bell Brass.

singleflammedmill

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
bellbrass said:
Holy Moley, what a beautiful set and snare. I have committed the sin of coveting my neighbor's Tamas!
Thanks!

EvEnStEvEn said:
Looks like a satin finish?
Man, those sure look clean.
Beauts!
Yes, it's a satin finish.

RickP said:
Very nice kit. I love the lug design on those.
Thanks!

ian.thomas said:
Thanks!

bonzoleum said:
Nice! Does it have re-rings?
Thanks!
It doesn't have re-rings, it has 6 ply, 9mm shells.

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wow! Beautiful drums. I would love to have a set of those. The Bell Brass snare ain't half bad either :)

singleflammedmill

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
High on Stress said:
Wow! Beautiful drums. I would love to have a set of those. The Bell Brass snare ain't half bad either :icon_smile:
Thanks!

Halldor L said:
Gorgeous kit!
Thanks!

towndog said:
That is back when the Superstars were a good kit..
I heard that the new Superstars are pretty good kits for the money, but I strongly prefer the vintage ones.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!! What a trip down memory lane!

I saved up everything I could as a kid and had this exact same finish imported in 1979 as well! Mine was the Superstar 7C Outfit #9677 as found on page 17 of the 1978 catalog!! See, I told you I had fond memories!!!

If I may give you a word of advice, BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU REMOVE THE LUGS... Tama lugs from this period are incredibly fragile after 40 years. I know very little of the die cast process, but I have read that it was a high silica content in their mixture that resulted in the weakness over time. Whatever the cause, the threaded legs that pass into the shell to receive the screws brakes off very easily. So if you remove the lugs, take care not to over tighten the screws on reassembly.

And with that said... WHOOHOOO! What a cool kit, congratulations!

Ward

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
If I may give you a word of advice, BE VERY CAREFUL IF YOU REMOVE THE LUGS... Tama lugs from this period are incredibly fragile after 40 years. I know very little of the die cast process, but I have read that it was a high silica content in their mixture that resulted in the weakness over time. Whatever the cause, the threaded legs that pass into the shell to receive the screws brakes off very easily. So if you remove the lugs, take care not to over tighten the screws on reassembly.
+1 on that... I recently got some 1989 Tama Rockstars and a few of the threaded legs were already broken and a couple broke when I checked them for tightness. Luckily, I'm not using the 13 so it became the donor drum.

Anyway, they look fantastic.

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
Beautiful!!! I would swap out the mounts with INDE mounts. No harm to the value and likely no need for drilling .

Targalx

Reaction score
Love this kit. Everything about that setup is beautiful. (The only thing I hated when I had that generation of Tama kit were the weak bass drum legs, which Tama greatly improved down the line.)

But it definitely lives up to its name, it IS a Superstar, indeed.

singleflammedmill

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Fat Drummer said:
OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!! What a trip down memory lane!

I saved up everything I could as a kid and had this exact same finish imported in 1979 as well! Mine was the Superstar 7C Outfit #9677 as found on page 17 of the 1978 catalog!! See, I told you I had fond memories!!!

And with that said... WHOOHOOO! What a cool kit, congratulations!

Ward
Great story!
Thanks for the advice.

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Congratulations singleflamedmill, my finish is Super Mahogany but the Natural Maple looks sweet too for sure. Fat drummer is right on point, if someone is a Tama owner from the late 70's-early 80's they had better own a little box of spare lugs. I shutter to think how much of my life that I have dedicated to Tama lugs. Just looked at your snare collection on Flicker, your 6.5" Cordia is very nice.