Tama Walnut Birch

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone started a thread...but has anyone played them? What do you think? I always liked the Starclassic maple stuff, but wondering how these sound.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone started a thread...but has anyone played them? What do you think? I always liked the Starclassic maple stuff, but wondering how these sound.
Yes. They sound very good, they're supposed to replace the B/B's, but that tone is not quite there. That doesn't mean you wouldn't like them better.
I've spent 6, or so hours playing em, trying different heads, and tunings.
They are impressive.

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Do the toms sound really short? Not sure where I was getting that impression. I know they have die cast hoops, which is going to be more of a Gretsch vibe. Curious to see how they stack up to the plain ol’ maple version. I know that Tama puts very high quality into all of their lines, including the less expensive stuff. I’m not in the market at this point, but I do like much of the Tama products.

Last edited:

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Do the toms sound really short? Not sure where I was getting that impression. I know they have die cast hoops, which is going to be more of a Gretsch vibe. Curious to see how they stack up to the plain ol’ maple version. I know that Tama puts very high quality into all of their lines, including the less expensive stuff.
They have a fairly wide range, depending on tuning, but they never rang out much on me. They may not have the warm B/B tone, but I thought they were real versatile, with a nice attack. Most GC's have 1 set up. Of corse you'd want to check them out for yourself, but I really liked them. I believe the bass drum was 16x22, and pack some punch. I can see the combo becoming very popular. Esthetically, they're very nice looking (inside, and out). A solid kit

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just got through playing on one for about 45, so keeping your OP in mind, I paid better attention. Yes, they are quick, but not warm at all.
I like the build, hardware etc, but the sound is ultimately what matters.
I'd much rather play any of my maple kits, as the birch/nut may have a real good attack, but that's it. I didn't find it very musical. They're trying to replace the B/B's, but that kit doesn't come close.
The best sounding, most versatile kit I've ever owned was a Maple/Mohagany/ Maple Pearl kit, from the late 80"s
It was a gift, and to this day I don't know, or remember what model it was?
I'd buy that kit in a sec, if I can find it again.
I kind of stayed there