Tama Woodworks 6.5x14 Poplar Snare Review.

NoMotivationDrummer

Reaction score
Today I am going to review the TAMA Woodworks 6.5x14 Poplar snare.

I bought this snare on sale for $109.99. It usually goes for around $129.99. I bought the natural zebrawood wrap. It is a very nice snare for the price, the black TAMA hardware looks great with the wrap and compliments it nicely.

The sound:

This snare has a very wide tuning range and sounds great at any tension. I brought this snare to a band rehearsal and I love it to bits. It sounds very rich and woody. The rimshots on this snare sound AMAZING. It sounds like you are playing a 14x8 snare when you hit that perfect rimshot. It sounds very deep and has a nice crack once you get the snares adjusted.

Pros:
-Great sounding!
-Great price!
-Nice looking wrap!
-Hardware is of TAMA quality.

Cons:
-Very loud (obviously)
-Snares come loose sometimes due to throwoff adjustment knob loosening (this may just be a problem with my unit.)
-Heavy (5-10 Pounds)

Freewill3

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw this snare at my local Guitar Center, didn't have time to play it that day. The zebrawood wrap looks great in person as well as the black hardware. There's a dark red version of this snare that'd match my Gretsch satin cherry red finish but is only available in South America and/or Europe. Have you had any luck with the throw off? With the wires unattached from the throw side, tighten the tension knob all the way tight then back off about 10-12 turns then reattach the wires. I've noticed sometimes that tension knob is just barely engaged from the factory.

NoMotivationDrummer

Reaction score
Have you had any luck with the throw off? With the wires unattached from the throw side, tighten the tension knob all the way tight then back off about 10-12 turns then reattach the wires. I've noticed sometimes that tension knob is just barely engaged from the factory.
Yeah, the throwoff is working fine now. It just happens to come loose easier than most throwoffs. I have to adjust it every once in a while.