Taming a hand hammered 6.5x14 brass luddie

dimag333

DFO Master
Reaction score
dan I sent you an email, got something coming your way

Shedboyxx

Reaction score
I just put a Controlled Sound X on a cheap older steel, 6.5 x 14 Tama snare at a church I play at.

After tuning it up, that completely transformed the drum and I think it sounds like a much more expensive snare.

Thing is, I would not put that head on my Ludwig Hammered Bronze 6.5 x 14. But I might try it on a brass version. Maybe. :)

I think there a few different heads to try but it will matter on what kind of environment the drum will be played in most regularly.

The right head and judicious adjustable dampening (if needed) will at one point give the best result.

Jim

ludwigfire

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There are some great responses here and I am not trying to be a smartass, but try the ludwig coated heavy instead. I use one on my 6.5" worldmax knockoff black nickel brass drum, my 5" hammered bronze, and all of my other snares for that matter.

The coated medium is Remo diplomat weight (very thin) and is reacting accordingly. The heavy is ambassador weight and with Ludwig's coating, might tame the drum to the sound you are looking for. Just my $0.02

Clay

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well,I played my first gig with my new Ludwig hand Hammered Brass snare. I also put die cast hoops on it and a coated Evans Reverse Dot. With one piece of moog Gel, it did the trick. Loved it with my Petty band. Tuned to a medium tension, the drum had a lot of character.

Attachments

Boomer

DFO Master
Reaction score
I tried this tuning method yesterday on my 5.5x14 HH Brass Black Panther. It more than tamed it; now it purrs!

Last edited by a moderator:

jmpd_utoronto

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Boomer said:
I tried this tuning method yesterday on my 5.5x14 HH Brass Black Panther. It more than tamed it; now it purrs!
Huh. That seems to go against all the "keep the drumhead level" stuff that most manufacturers tout (e.g. Evans' "Level 360"). Sounds pretty good in the video though. Wonder what (if any) processing there was on that snare sound.

Boomer

DFO Master
Reaction score
jmpd_utoronto said:
Huh. That seems to go against all the "keep the drumhead level" stuff that most manufacturers tout (e.g. Evans' "Level 360"). Sounds pretty good in the video though. Wonder what (if any) processing there was on that snare sound.
Mine now sounds like the one in the video with NO processing.

MonkeyGrass

Keystone Addict
Reaction score
Boomer said:

Huh. Is that a desirable snare sound? It sounded choked and lifeless UNTIL he turned those 3 t-rods back up at the end (around the 8 minute mark), and then it started to sound like a snare drum I would want to actually play with. With no mic'ing, that muffled popcorn "blat" will carry about as far as I can throw my bass drum. Good for FX or a studio track, but no way I would take my drum to a gig sounding like that!! What's the point of having a nice brass/bronze/upper-line snare if you're going to suck the life out of it and make it sound like a piece of Sunluck Cardboard. I could make any $40 snare drum sound like that.

This also seems like a recipe for warped triple flange rims and short drumhead life. De-tuning the 3 lugs right where you lay into a backbeat or a rimshot removes the tension and that head isn't going to last very long with one side cranked and the other wrinkled.

Weird.

Doosh

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Skyrm said:
I remember an old Modern Drummer article where guys were sticky Maxi-Pads inside the shell. Have you tried that? :)
it works! much less overring when i tamp on it.

elcid

drum czar
Reaction score
Am also surprised how a recently aquired 6 1/2" hand-hammered super-sensitive Black Beauty snare drum "rings." It came with a new medium weight Ludwig batter head, which will be changed for an Aquarian batter head (don't know which yet) in the near future...

-elcid

Drumbelly

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
supraphonic said:
I've got a coated emperor on mine with a 80's twin channel
Die cast hoop on top. It seems to have tamed it nicely but
Not too much. I took the bottom die cast off and went with
The original steel hoop.
image.jpg
I have some of those twin Channel hoops too, and I use one on the batter side only of my 6.5x14 HB as well. The only difference is That I currently have an Ambassador on it instead of the Emperor. I am becoming fond of the Ambassador X heads on my snares. Those older Ludwig die casts really work like magic on that drum.

MagnusNordén

Reaction score
FWIW, Remo Skyntone batter on my 6.5 Ludwig Hammered Bronze Supra gives a very controlled, almost calf like sound. Good for jazz stylistics.

/Magnus