Tangerine Gretsch Progressive resto help!

gaskeg

Reaction score
Found a couple of round badge tangerine shells 20 and 12" with wrap notched out about half inch down from the edges. Heads still fit very tight so unfortunately that surgery seems to have been pointless... It's a shame.

Bass notch is about the length of the bottom wrap piece and Tom is about 5 inches on one edge and a little less on the other end. With heads on you would never see these gaps.

So the question is, in terms of long term value should I replace those sections? I have a piece of bottom bass wrap that is a bit brighter condition that could be used so there are several options:
1) use the full piece and replace entire bottom bass piece (color difference would be noticeable)
2) cut the pieces and fit to all those edge sections
3) do neither, use the extra wrap for inlay that I don't have or just get some from Precision ?

Can't post pics from iPad safari, will try once I get to a PC.

Thanks guys!

mellotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not sure but I think if you put the wrap back it will even make it harder to get heads on. Did the kit come from the same guy on ebay that sold a matching 4x14 snare last night? I had my eye on it.

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'd leave it alone. What's done is done. They aren't original anymore. Anything you do to them will make them even more molested.

gaskeg

Reaction score
Good advice, there's more risk in messing about any more with these I think. Mello, agreed with you on the tight heads issue as well, so I will try some american vintage heads or cut some gaps in the metal hoops of the head to give them some flexibility per other forum suggestions.

mellotron

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used this little hacksaw to cut through the aluminum channel of the drumhead:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_198280-930-324HF25N_0__?productId=1057097

Put a little masking tape around the outer edge of the blade so it doesn't mar up the drum head from sawing. Cutting the channel opens it up and gives you a little wiggle room. The epoxy holding the drum head inside the rim is strong enough to hold it all together.

Then I took a dremel sanding block and sanded down the inside bump of the weld where they joined the head together. Then I removed material from the whole inner circumference of the drum head channel. I then used some emory cloth to smooth everything down. After it was really smooth, I waxed the inner channel so it wouldn't scuff the shell. OCD, yall.

My heads weren't as tight as yours though so you might not be able to use anything other than the American Vintage heads. I love Ambassadors so I finally got exactly what I wanted. I'm not sure how all this works on other heads.

gaskeg

Reaction score
Thanks for the step by step! I've tried fitting heads to the Bass and one side went ok but could probably benefit from some hoop chopping, the other is a rough go altogether and definitely needs help.

Latest posts