Tape residue removal

Tilter

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've never used it on vintage cymbals so I don't know if it'll remove the patina, but I remove sticker/adhesive residue from everything (including cymbals) with this:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/t.a.-emerald-performance-plus-4-motor-spray-tae4200/p254393?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI34qW-ruC1wIVAl6GCh0cXgEwEAQYASABEgIUzfD_BwE

One of my hobbies is RC Car modeling and I've been using this particular motor spray for over 12 years. It's similar to an electronic contact cleaner and has never harmed any surface that I've used it on. It's also great for removing that subtle slime left behind from Moon Gel type dampers.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Goo Gone, patience, and the edge of an old credit card or something like that in case it has to be scraped some. I often use my fingernail but that's probbaly not the smartest move.

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Any cleaner will remove patina. Is what it is if you want it gone. The adhesive remover I use on anything (vintage wrap, metal, brass) is non-abrasive. Ive removed duct tape residue like yours before with the product. Like Mike said, patience. Just took adhesive off an Acro yesterday into today. I had to keep coming back to it but it worked perfectly.

Attachments

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I tired like hell to remove duct tape form an old Zildjian rock ride...while it faded with goo gone it was still visible. Will try some of the suggestions here as well.

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Plain ethanol works well for most types of duct tape. Mineral spirits (or Goo Gone if you prefer a citrus smell) works on most types of tape residue. If the residue has been there for awhile (years), soaking it for a few minutes in the solvent will make it softer and slightly easier to remove. None of the solvents will harm the cymbal metal but the scrubbing action removing the residue might remove some of the patina. Also, the amount of patina under the tape may be less than on the rest of the cymbal so there will likely be a visible "ghost" of the tape on the cymbal after cleaning it. Good luck with your cleaning project.

slapstick

Reaction score
cigarette lighter fluid.....i guess it's the same stuff in the u.s.a. as in the u.k..,,,,.leave for a couple of secs then rub

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
CSR said:
Careful about smoking while doing this,or doing it near a water heater.

You'll make an ash of yourself.
Excellent! ; ) Dry as a desert.

rculberson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good ol' gasoline does the trick for me, and doesn't affect the patina.

mattmalloy66

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I can highly recommend a product that hasn't been mentioned yet.
3M Tape and Residue Remover. The product # is 35975.
We use it on our airplanes, because it doesn't affect the paint or metal underneath.
I have used it to remove some very old duct tape residue from Zildjian cymbals that had a lot of patina, and the residue came off without affecting the patina at all.
It's a paste, so it stays put as long as you need to leave there, and not as smelly or hazardous as gasoline or acetone.

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Goof Off (probably the same as Goo Gone), WD 40, lighter Fluid (which is mainly Naptha), Mineral Spirits, Gasoline, Kerosene, will all work well. Acetone, Lacquer Thinner and Alcohol dry up too fast to make an easy job of it, but they will still work.

You want to stay away from anything acidic or caustic...those chemicals will permanently stain the cymbal finish.

Personally, I like Goof Off because it is easier to find (Home Depot, Lowes...etc.) than my old favorite stand by...lighter fluid.

andrewro

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you can get it off with one of these methods, but it may take effort as noted, and it may mess with the patina.

I'd honestly try and sell as is, and leave it as "buyer's choice" so at least if the finish is uneven after cleaning it wouldn't impact the sale price. I'd hate to end up with shiny spots and the patina has a value of its own.

Not everyone will agree with me but I was joking recently "always clean Paiste, never clean Zildjian" lol.

LeedyGuy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I can't not clean it. I want to sell it and the tape/residue is affecting the sound and i want you make a video of it and have it be clean.

LeedyGuy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Trying acetone today Just because it's what I have in the house! I think I have mineral spirits too but I'd rather not....I think

Latest posts