header.nohb.html

Tashjian cymbal? Now joined by its Trans Stamp 20" big sister.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Tashian? Went looking on line to find something on this and couldn't find anything. Doesn't show up on Rob Scott's UFIP/Italian cymbal makers' page.

Somewhat similar to the early Pasha's with the golf ball like hammer marks. "A. Tashjian" inked under the bell. At least that's what it looks like to me. Similar to how the "XE Ajaha's" are scripted.
Read somewhere that Kashian, Pasha, and Ajaha may have all been made under the same roof....the same way....just for different USA drum companies. The small but tall bell on this one suggests "Klatu, Klatu."
I'd say a 40's/50's cymbal rather than 60's to 80's. 17" heavy. Approx 3-3/4" bell. Don't know the weight yet.

Wait a minute. Is this a Kashian? Kashjian? I should know what "script K" looks like as I had to write those every day for years back in grade school in the 60's.

a aa67.jpg
a aa98.jpg
a aa90.jpg

Last edited:

Bijan

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Cool! Love seeing new things cymbal-related. Definitely Italian to my eyes. Is it heavy?

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Cool! Love seeing new things cymbal-related. Definitely Italian to my eyes. Is it heavy?
I won't know the weight until tomorrow. Seller called it a heavy ride. So I'd guess 1500 gm or more. I did buy it just based on the look and description.

Soulfinger

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ha - I had one exactly like that eons ago. Same signature, same hammering, same bell shape. Mine was 16" and had a grommet installed so one of a pair or marching/orchestral cymbals. Only stamp I could find was a crescent moon with star.
Bought here in Austria on a flea market almost 40 years ago. Can´t remember what happened to it...
It was very heavy and absolutely uncrashable - but it had a really cool ride sound, very much a SCDR vibe. Sounded much bigger than it was.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ha - I had one exactly like that eons ago. Same signature, same hammering, same bell shape. Mine was 16" and had a grommet installed so one of a pair or marching/orchestral cymbals. Only stamp I could find was a crescent moon with star.
Bought here in Austria on a flea market almost 40 years ago. Can´t remember what happened to it...
It was very heavy and absolutely uncrashable - but it had a really cool ride sound, very much a SCDR vibe. Sounded much bigger than it was.

That's sort of line with how the seller described it. Almost mono-tonal with not much sustain......and dry.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Just found out the weight on that man hole cover............2000 gm......or roughly equivalent to 2300 gm for an 18". Definitely uncrashable. Hopefully, it has at least a decent ride ping.

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Maybe some cheap hats that can go with the Kashjian. Per the seller these are unmarked. They have a 60's or earlier type of Pasha or similar Italian look. For $49 delivered it seemed worth the gamble.
The green spot on the reverse of the darker one at 5:00 is usually seen on 70's or older B20 cymbals. I think that tipped the scales for me. They supposedly measure 13-1/4" which is not often seen in modern cymbals.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzznnnnsssssss (2).jpg
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzznnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnssss (2).jpg

Last edited:

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Maybe some cheap hats that can go with the Kashjian. Per the seller these are unmarked. They have a 60's or earlier type of Pasha or similar Italian look. For $49 delivered it seemed worth the gamble.
The green spot on the reverse of the darker one at 5:00 is usually seen on 70's or older B20 cymbals. I think that tipped the scales for me. They measure 13-1/4" which is not often seen in modern cymbals.

View attachment 559756 View attachment 559757
When you get them can you take a closer pic of the green spot? Is it some sort of stamp?

ChicagoDave

Reaction score
The green spot on the reverse of the darker one at 5:00 is usually seen on 70's or older B20 cymbals. I think that tipped the scales for me. They measure 13-1/4" which is not often seen in modern cymbals.

View attachment 559756 View attachment 559757
Where are these listed?

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Where are these listed?

They were listed on EBay from 2 different sellers. They should show up in the sold listings.

The hi hats had no other photos than the ones I showed above. Description was simply: "Hi Hat Cymbals Set of top and bottom 13 1/4" Medium without name brand."

They're coming in today so with luck I find something stamped on them to help ID them.

Last edited:

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Good news now that I have them all. The hi hats did indeed have stamps.

Hi hats are Vibra's. "Vibra Cymbals" stamped on them next to a crown. But I don't see F&F or Franchi anywhere. Don't know if that makes them earlier or later than the ones that are stamped Franchi. 1/2" bell holes.
The feel and sound of them is 50's to me.....635/650. They sound like smoother 602's or Trans stamps....not as gritty as the Zildjians. A tad of trashiness. They play well and can compete with any 13 inch
50's Zildjians I've had. So a nice pickup for $49 delivered. I saw some old posts by Hardbat mentioning that these could play well with old K's.....and I'd agree.

But that wasn't the all of it. The same Hi Hats seller had a 20" Zildjian ride listed at the same time as the hats. They called it a "vintage large stamp." It clearly was a smaller stamp....in fact a trans stamp type 3. And at $199 I had to buy it regardless what it might weigh. I was figuring 2050-2350 gm medium which are the more common weights.....iirc. It was flexible out of the box.....and weighs a thin 1835 gm. So another nice one at a great price. It plays very much the same as my 1775 gm trans stamp with that cool "inner bell tone." Picking up 1535 and 1835 trans stamp 20's and a 1st generation EAK 20" ride all in the same week....and Vibra's and Kashjian too. The EAK and Kashjian were from the same seller. This trans stamp had a big green spot on the back side. So when I saw a green spot on the back of one hi hat I just figured they've been together a long time and "should" be a set of quality hats. Trans stamp ride and Vibra hats make a good pairing too.

The Vibra Hi Hats were not 13-1/4" as the seller stated.....in fact 12-7/8 and 13. And the Kashjian that started this thread is full 17 inches with 4" bell. I can't say if the signature is Tashjian or Kashjian....it could be either. But it is a quality made cymbal more like an Old K Con heavy at 1940 gm. Very distinct high pitched ping but not nasty. It crashes and shanks ok for a heavy weight.....must be all that hammering. Pretty focused with a little complexity to it. I know this one can be at home in a specialty setting. I was somewhat regretting getting it the past few days. Now that I hear it.....it's a "good" cymbal and like a semi-old K Con.

IMG_6110.JPG
IMG_6111.JPG

Last edited:

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Good news now that I have them all. The hi hats did indeed have stamps. And I've yet to find a pair of vintage EBay or Reverb cymbals that didn't have stamps....despite sellers claims.
I found a large stamp hollow block 20" ride on EBay that "had no stamp." Hard to hide a 2" tall stamp but that one was hidden pretty well....took me a couple minutes to find it.

Hi hats are Vibra's. "Vibra Cymbals" stamped on them next to a crown. But I don't see F&F or Franchi anywhere. Don't know if that makes them earlier or later than the ones that are stamped Franchi.
The feel and sound of them is 50's to me.....635/650. They sound like smoother 602's or Trans stamps....not as gritty as the Zildjians. A tad of trashiness. They play well and can compete with any 13 inch
50's Zildjians I've had. So a nice pickup for $49 delivered. I saw some old posts by Hardbat mentioning that these could play well with old K's.....and I'd agree.

But that wasn't the all of it. The same Hi Hats seller had a 20" Zildjian ride listed at the same time as the hats. They called it a "vintage large stamp." It clearly was a smaller stamp....in fact a trans stamp type 3. And at $199 I had to buy it regardless what it might weigh. I was figuring 2050-2350 gm medium which are the more common weights.....iirc. It was flexible out of the box.....and weighs a thin 1835 gm. So another nice one at a great price. It plays very much the same as my 1775 gm trans stamp with that cool "inner bell tone." Picking up 1535 and 1835 trans stamp 20's and a 1st generation EAK 20" ride all in the same week....and Vibra's and Kashjian too. The EAK and Kashjian were from the same seller. This trans stamp had a big green spot on the back side. So when I saw a green spot on the back of one hi hat I just figured they've been together a long time and "should" be a set of quality hats. Trans stamp ride and Vibra hats make a good pairing too.

The Vibra Hi Hats were not 13-1/4" as the seller stated.....in fact 12-7/8 and 13. And the Kashjian that started this thread is full 17 inches with 4" bell. I can't say if the signature is Tashjian or Kashjian....it could be either. But it is a quality made cymbal more like an Old K Con heavy at 1940 gm. Very distinct high pitched ping but not nasty. It crashes and shanks ok for a heavy weight.....must be all that hammering. I know this one can be at home
in a specialty setting. I was somewhat regretting getting it the past few days. Now that I hear it.....it's a "good" cymbal and like a semi-old K Con.

View attachment 560015 View attachment 560016
I don’t know about F&F or Franchi, but I do have a great 13” with a Vibra Zanchi stamp. The ins and outs of the italian cymbal industry are a bit mysterious but most of them seem to sound great

Last edited: