Taye drum specs?

Sun shy

Reaction score
Looking at a set of Taye drums that are about 15 years old. They don’t have a model on the badges. Waiting to get a pic of the badges. Any way to tell specs without any model written on them?
532F65BB-1604-4657-B90A-A07D019D7A5A.jpeg

Last edited:

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I know Taye drums pretty well, but without a pic it's pretty hard to say. They had quite a few lines that used the same lugs.

Sun shy

Reaction score
I know Taye drums pretty well, but without a pic it's pretty hard to say. They had quite a few lines that used the same lugs.
Thanks for chiming in. Here are a couple more pics.
3BC63011-A2CC-4E0F-955B-E5911EF07B62.png

5FDBAD44-19C0-44F9-9419-7C0996A27162.png

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
These are the inexpensive Taye drums. Most likely poplar or similar wood. I purchased a similar kit for a friend quite some years ago, also maybe 15 years! The inexpensive, cheap, wraps really bubble up in daylight. They're OK for a beginner "beater" kit, but that's about it. I'm not at home right now, so can't attach pictures. Should be able to later tonight.

-Mark

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Those look like the Orbitone series. Entry level drums. OK but nothing to get excited about.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I have an Orbitone tom and it says right on it, "..."by Taye".
The kit in question is from the SPOTLIGHT series.
As someeone else mentioned, entry level drums.
...another Hunnert-Dolla kit.

Does that make it bad? Not neccessarily. My Orbitone is "serviceable".
If everything's in good shape and he doesn't want too much money for it, you could gig it (thus, saving your really nice and EXPENSVIE kit at home where its safe and sits ready for any recording work you'd like to do).

Elvis

Sun shy

Reaction score
Thanks for the info and insight. I will make him an offer. My experience with Taye has been pretty positive.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
If he includes the hardware shown and the rug, I don't think $300 would be out of the question, but if its just the drums, maybe 1/2 that much....maybe....

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
That might have been a $299 kit including hardware and cheap cymbals when new. I wouldn't offer any more than $150. Frankly, I would put that money towards a kit the next level up. I think that line is a stencil kit made for Taye rather than by them.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Considering the fact that Taye is a SE Asian company, chances are very good they DO make the "stencil kits" you refer to.

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Considering the fact that Taye is a SE Asian company, chances are very good they DO make the "stencil kits" you refer to.
I sold a decent amount of Taye drums about the time those were made. I talked to my sales rep at Taye and I think those were drums made by another company for them because they were looking for a less expensive entry level kit than what they were making themselves, and it was cheaper to buy them than to invest in the tooling to build them themselves. Even at that time there were quite a few SE Asian drum companies, so it is equally likely that they did NOT make those kits themselves.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
NOW we get the whole story....thanks for your insight, ARGuy.