Taylor Hawkins interview

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It confirms my belief that Dave Grohl is one of the most decent humans on earth.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I enjoyed that, though I thought he was a little harsh on the first Foo Fighters drummer, William Goldsmith. He could have just not commented rather than say the guy got red light fever when the studio "recording" sign was turned on.

Tornado

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I enjoyed that, though I thought he was a little harsh on the first Foo Fighters drummer, William Goldsmith. He could have just not commented rather than say the guy got red light fever when the studio "recording" sign was turned on.
But he did mention that he had it himself, so it wasn't really singling him out. I think it was just about the reality of the situation with that first record that they had very little time to get it done in, and Dave had to step in and save the day. Taylor mentioned that he got some hand holding from Dave in the studio to make his recording work, but they had a bit more time and budget when it was his turn. It sounded like Goldsmith just couldn't get over it, which is a shame since he didn't get fired. Hell, even Kenny Aranoff didn't get to play on the first JCM record because he didn't know how to play in the studio.

PaulD

Reaction score
That was a good interview. I've never been a FF fan but always thought Dave Grohl was a good guy. I also never really listened to Hawkins' drumming but it seems like he has some pretty good feel and a lot more chops that I would have guessed.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I started watching that last night but didn't get a chance to finish yet. Maybe tonight after the kiddo goes to sleep.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'll preface this with, I love the Foos and think Dave Grohl is the best songwriter of the nineties and early 2000's, but Goldsmith was not some newb coming in to the studio. The guy had several recordings under his belt with Sunny Day Real Estate and others before and during. Dave just didn't like what he played and instead of communicating re-recorded all the tracks on Colour and the Shape with out letting Goldsmith know. It was a crappy move.

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I might have mentioned this before. I'm pretty sure I did.

I was doing a gig in Santa Fe, I used to live in New Mexico ( now Austin ). Really great classic rock trio. First rate band.. And I see this guy walking around and i think, " Man, that mf looks just like Taylor Hawkins". And of course, when someone looks JUST like a celebrity, chances are really good it's that person.

Long story long.. He sits in. And sounds ....... GREAT. Killer. Bad Ass. And totally friendly..

Much much respect. He's a good dude.

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Such a gorgeous drum. A few questions come to mind.

1. Do you have a preferred tuning?
2. Do you use this only for certain genres, or use it in all styles?
3. Do you wear a back brace when taking it to gigs?
1. Medium - medium high but it sounds great in ANY tuning. Never chokes, always great.
2. All styles. Incredibly versatile.
3. No, but I do wear one of my wifes bra’s ;-)

Last edited:

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'll preface this with, I love the Foos and think Dave Grohl is the best songwriter of the nineties and early 2000's, but Goldsmith was not some newb coming in to the studio. The guy had several recordings under his belt with Sunny Day Real Estate and others before and during. Dave just didn't like what he played and instead of communicating re-recorded all the tracks on Colour and the Shape with out letting Goldsmith know. It was a crappy move.
If you watch interviews with Grohl about the subject he clearly states he handled it poorly and wishes he could go back and handle it differently. It was his first outing as a band leader instead of drummer as well. I am sure that has a learning curve to it as well.

Mackermanesq

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've met Dave a couple of times and he was wonderful. We have mutual friends and they all say good things. That said, I'm also friends with Franz Stahl, and I think even Dave would admit he didn't handle Franz's dispatch that well either. And that was well after William was dispatched. I think Dave has a very clear vision of what he wants, and when he doesn't get it, he makes moves to get it and those who stand between what he has and what he wants get pushed out of the way. I'm not sure if there's anything wrong with that either--it's his band after all so he's entitled to get what he wants in terms of creative vision.

Latest posts