header.nohb.html

Taylor Hawkins - More Tribute News

dsop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Coroner said his atherosclerosis due to cocaine abuse is what killed him, not pesticides.
If he "abused" cocaine he wouldn't have been able to maintain the schedule of sessions that he did at his level. His cocaine use had to have been minor compared to many other people. His heart had issues which made him more susceptible to the effects of it over time.

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
There are mega memorial concerts for Taylor Hawkins because as the world's last true rock star, Dave Grohl has the weight (and more importantly, friends) to do whatever he wants for his dear friend who tragically died. That's basically it.

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If he "abused" cocaine he wouldn't have been able to maintain the schedule of sessions that he did at his level. His cocaine use had to have been minor compared to many other people. His heart had issues which made him more susceptible to the effects of it over time.
Are you a doctor?

DrummBumm89

Reaction score
A couple points.

Logistics are a ton easier in 2022 then in the past.
Dave Grohl is the biggest face of modern rock music today.
He has an amassing amount of friends in the industry and has been in two of the biggest rock bands in the past 50 years.
Taylor also appears to be quite the popular person in the drumming community/industry. I have yet to hear a single bad story about him. I cannot say the same about Neil, Keith, John or Jeff.
Zeppelin and The Who weren't active for a 20 year period touring stadiums across the world. They also died decades ago.

Neil was also an introvert and even traveled alone on tour. Honestly it doesn't seem like he'd want the attention.

Porcaro died due to drug/substance abuse as did John and Keith. The overall drug comments are also unnecessary for one. The person is still gone.

Taylor hasn't had any confirmed cause of death. What was said to be in his system are things that doctors can order.

You have people moving around flights/tour dates, and people showing up to perform unrehearsed (while getting criticized for being unrehearsed which I think is completely missing the point of the memorial) leaving them open to criticism.
Wolfgang playing VH songs when he's been pretty vocal about not wanting to live in his father's shadow.
Alex and Geddy playing Rush when they've been adamant about not continuing without Neil.
The James Gang playing together.
Soundgarden without Cornell.
Members of ACDC and Metallica playing music together. Quite possibly the two biggest rock bands of all time.
Enjoy the show or don't stream.
It's the closest thing we've had to a modern Live Aid in a long time without the political stuff.

It irks me when you see people nitpicking all these trivial things when it's 50+ musicians coming together to have fun with little/no rehearsal or likely even discussion.
Point proven with The Darkness Singer being asked by Brian Johnson to sing impromptu.
Does it matter if Danny slipped up? He's playing with one of his idols.
Omar not fitting the style? Whoopdidoo.
Lars playing Back in Black and everyone loses their mind over feel/no feel.
Travis doing Travis fills at the end of a song.
Taylor's 16 year old son rushing through the song.
I would like to see anyone here be able to go onto either of those stages and perform like that. Everyone looked like they were having fun and enjoying themselves.

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
A couple points.

He has an amassing amount of friends in the industry and has been in two of the biggest rock bands in the past 50 years.
Taylor also appears to be quite the popular person in the drumming community/industry. I have yet to hear a single bad story about him. I cannot say the same about Neil, Keith, John or Jeff.
Zeppelin and The Who weren't active for a 20 year period touring stadiums across the world. They also died decades ago.

Neil was also an introvert and even traveled alone on tour. Honestly it doesn't seem like he'd want the attention.

Porcaro died due to drug/substance abuse as did John and Keith. The overall drug comments are also unnecessary for one. The person is still gone.

Taylor hasn't had any confirmed cause of death. What was said to be in his system are things that doctors can order.

You have people moving around flights/tour dates, and people showing up to perform unrehearsed (while getting criticized for being unrehearsed which I think is completely missing the point of the memorial) leaving them open to criticism.
Wolfgang playing VH songs when he's been pretty vocal about not wanting to live in his father's shadow.
Alex and Geddy playing Rush when they've been adamant about not continuing without Neil.
Members of ACDC and Metallica playing music together. Quite possibly the two biggest rock bands of all time.
It's the closest thing we've had to a modern Live Aid in a long time without the political stuff.

It irks me when you see people nitpicking all these trivial things when it's 50+ musicians coming together to have fun with little/no rehearsal or likely even discussion.
Point proven with The Darkness Singer being asked by Brian Johnson to sing impromptu.
I would like to see anyone here be able to go onto either of those stages and perform like that. Everyone looked like they were having fun and enjoying themselves.
Right here! Get over it, folks.

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Neil died about a year ago, didn't he?

When was Rush’s height of popularity?

Don’t get me wrong, Neil should be celebrated but for one reason or not he hasn’t. Hopefully this is the new era of celebrating the musicians we lose.

goodcat1337

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Honestly, what does any of this even matter? You're the only one in this thread complaining about this. Like others have said, Dave decided he wanted to do some tribute shows to his bandmate of 25 years, the other drummers' bands didn't do that. That's the reason why. If you think Bonham and Keith Moon and Peart and all the rest deserve tribute shows, then feel free to start a go fund me or try to start a campaign yourself to get a show together. I just don't understand the sour grapes here.

spaeth

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Or is important to keep in mind his whole persona and not just his drumming. When you hear these musicians talk of him many of them say they looked forward to talking with him almost daily. That is a lot of phone calls.

If you look at his side projects you can tell he absolutely loved and lived music enthusiastically. Rock and roll in particular but all music really.

It takes a pretty special person to touch that many peoples lives that deeply, especially when those people are very busy famous rock stars. When you listen to others talk of him it sounds like he was important to them and not just someone they kind of knew.

Someone told a story of him and Dave regularly going into their local Guitar Center and hanging out. At one point the manager thought that someone had stolen Taylor’s credit card as there were a ton of odd charges in the drum department. He called the drum manager and he said there was no problem but Taylor would regularly buy kids the equipment they were looking at. He would do it without telling anybody. Pretty cool.

Seemed like a good guy and if he has friends willing to fly form all over the globe to honor him there must be something special there.

paulwells73

Reaction score
When was Rush’s height of popularity?

Don’t get me wrong, Neil should be celebrated but for one reason or not he hasn’t. Hopefully this is the new era of celebrating the musicians we lose.
There is a concert coming up in St Catherines being organized by Neil’s family. It’s been postponed and rescheduled a couple of times, I believe. Travel restrictions in Canada were causing some issues as well. It doesn’t look like it’s going to be a star-studded event like the Taylor tributes, but it’s main goal is to raise money for various Pearl-family charities, which is something that Rush have always been heavily (and quietly involved in.)

mkelley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There is a concert coming up in St Catherines being organized by Neil’s family. It’s been postponed and rescheduled a couple of times, I believe. Travel restrictions in Canada were causing some issues as well. It doesn’t look like it’s going to be a star-studded event like the Taylor tributes, but it’s main goal is to raise money for various Pearl-family charities, which is something that Rush have always been heavily (and quietly involved in.)

Both tributes will be reflective of the individual being celebrated. Taylor’s is more star studded because he was a giant fan boy for all the 80’s and classic rock and he became friends with all of those folks.

Dave Grohl mentions that everyone said they spoke to Taylor everyday and that was around 125 people.

Neil was far more stoic and his memorial will probably be deeper and probably more personal than the Taylor memorial, I’ll gladly tune in to either one.

JazzyJeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A couple points.

In my book, everyone else can be unrehearsed, and play for the event to celebrate. Not for Rush. Not playing those parts. Either nail it (know it so well/rehearse enough that you don’t screw it up) or sit it out/ get criticized.
Sorry not sorry.

Jay-Dee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
We can never know unfortunately, but with the admiration that other musos appear to have for Taylor Hawkins there's a pretty good chance that Neil Peart would have come out of retirement to play with Rush at those couple of tribute concerts.

I'm not sure about the US, but I'm pretty sure the pandemic officially started in March 2020.