TD30: tuning bass drum to sound like Lar's in "Nothing Else Matters".

Shayder

Reaction score
Can anyone help me tune it to something close? Any suggestions are appreciated.

pgm554

Reaction score
I doubt you can as it's pretty much the recording mix in the bass drum.
Compression reverb,gating,etc.

Browny

Reaction score
Try messaging Ross Garfield through his 'Drum Doctor' facebook/instragram accounts. They're his drums and he tuned them.

Shayder

Reaction score
I doubt you can as it's pretty much the recording mix in the bass drum.
Compression reverb,gating,etc.
Thanks, I was monkeying around with the settings and I was able to EQ it to what I think is close but my high end hearing is shot so it probably sound terrible to those with good ears.

Shayder

Reaction score
Try messaging Ross Garfield through his 'Drum Doctor' facebook/instragram accounts. They're his drums and he tuned them.
Woah, whoa, whoa! No need to get the adults involved here! I would be embarrassed to ask plus it's the Roldan td30kv so not even an acoustic.

wolfereeno

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're not going to switch to triggering VTS's or using VTS effects, I recommend getting an external compressor and reverb. Even cheap ones are a huge improvement to the fairly thin Roland sounds. And these are much better than the internal effects.

You can get an old Lexicon reverb for < 150.
For compressor, I love the RNC: https://reverb.com/p/fmr-audio-really-nice-compressor-rnc-1773

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I made a Black Album kit on my TD-30 module. With the exception of the snare (Which I now know more tricks to layer sounds and could possibly mimic it) its a pretty good overall kit that mimics the Black Album's drums.

Shayder

Reaction score

Shayder

Reaction score
I made a Black Album kit on my TD-30 module. With the exception of the snare (Which I now know more tricks to layer sounds and could possibly mimic it) its a pretty good overall kit that mimics the Black Album's drums.
You willing to sell me the digital file? :)

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here is the file:

Download the file, load it on to a usb, plug it in to your TD-30 and load the kit on there. Dont forget to tell it you want the EQ and compressor settings loaded as well. I think all the ambience and room settings come with the kit as well.

I don't know if you wire your pads to different inputs, or split inputs, like I do but this kit is set up to work pretty well with a standard TD-30 configuration.

Hope this helps.

Shayder

Reaction score
Here is the file:

Download the file, load it on to a usb, plug it in to your TD-30 and load the kit on there. Dont forget to tell it you want the EQ and compressor settings loaded as well. I think all the ambience and room settings come with the kit as well.

I don't know if you wire your pads to different inputs, or split inputs, like I do but this kit is set up to work pretty well with a standard TD-30 configuration.

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much for this! I really appreciate the time and effort.

Take care.

Jack

Shayder

Reaction score
Let me copy the kit file for you. You should be able to download it on a USB and load it on to your TD-30 module.

Here is a video with me playing over some black album songs with the kit:
Sounds great and you play great too!

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thank you so much for this! I really appreciate the time and effort.

Take care.

Jack
No problem. Hope it all loads properly. It's been a while since I have shared my Roland files, so I cant remember if all the different settings come with the kit. Like, I dont know if room ambience or master compressor/EQ settings go through. But thats the jist of the kit.

Shayder

Reaction score
Hi Tommy,

For some reason I couldn't get it to load. I had a old USB that would show the file in the list of kits but when I hit execute it gave me a "USB Error". So I tried a new usb stick and used the td30 brain to format it and the kit wouldn't show up.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Let me try saving it directly off my TD-30. I took that off my old computer. Maybe it doesnt like that.

Shayder

Reaction score
I wonder if it has to do with a firmware update? I haven't done that in at least 3 or 4 years..... not sure if there is a new one?

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Try this link:

I saved it directly off my TD-30. It looks like you need to create a folder on your usb and name it Roland. Then create another folder inside the Roland folder and name it Kit. Then drop this file in that Kit folder. This should let the TD-30 know where to find the file.

Shayder

Reaction score
Thanks, Google says I need access to that folder. you will receive a request for access from me.