Teaching setup: drumset for younger students?

TheArchitect

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Never taught kids that young on a kit. They were still doing rudiments on a pad at that age

OrganicBeets

Reaction score
For students that young, I go to their houses.

I also insist the parents be present for the lesson and understand the lesson, because no 5yr old in the world will remember 3 minutes of that. This also puts the burden on the parents to purchase a special kit for the kid, which there are, but again, it's on them. Not me.

There are some really cool teaching systems for younger kids out now as well, as far as notation (they use graphics instead of notes).

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
OrganicBeets said:

. This also puts the burden on the parents to purchase a special kit for the kid, which there are, but again, it's on them. Not me.
I like this idea.^^^

The only other thing I could think of is if you had an electric kit. You could lower the rack that the kit is on down to the height of a younger student and then raise it back up for a taller student.

Michael Beechey

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
currently sweating in Duncan,Vancouver Island, Can
cworrick said:

. This also puts the burden on the parents to purchase a special kit for the kid, which there are, but again, it's on them. Not me.
I like this idea.^^^

The only other thing I could think of is if you had an electric kit. You could lower the rack that the kit is on down to the height of a younger student and then raise it back up for a taller student.
good point and excellent justification for getting another kit!....take that Revenue Canada/wife!

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My studio has a Yamaha DT5 which I can set up low enough for a child. Since the snare and HiHat pads share the same arm, I can slide it down without too much trouble. That should be enough to get a 5 year old started.

You might also check out my "Joel Rothman" post in this section...he has books geared to this age group.

Slippy

a.k.a "slow feet"
Reaction score
i have never given lessons to someone that young, but my son is about to turn 6 and he plays my set all the time. He cant reach the pedals but he can sure swing them sticks.

KoopaS

Reaction score
Even if you could find appropriately sized kits and hardware, full-kit practice is probably premature for a 5-year-old. Can they even tie their shoes at that point? :)

Rich Redmond is publishing a drumming curriculum for 5-10 year olds (http://fundrums.wordpress.com/) that might help you out. He uses hand drums to teach rhythmic feel and note value. I think those are a good compromise between basic rudimental practice and four-way drumset independence.

dave.robertson

Reaction score
I have a set-up being used by a five year old. She uses a 10 inch snare drum, 12 inch tom for a low tom, and a 16 inch floor tom as the mini-bass drum. One ride cymbal. No ride tom yet. I cut the legs down on a stool to get her thighs more or less parallel to the ground. I will get some photos showing how everything was brought lower to the ground.

dave.robertson

Reaction score
"How do other teachers manage a drumset setup for very young students?...ex 5 yrs old."

This is set-up for a five year old. (...First, I will admit to not being a "real" teacher. So, I do not have to deal with business or economic or teaching studio considerations of a professional. I do these lessons as a favor. A labor of love.)

She uses her pink Vic Firth kid sticks with this rig during a lesson:
  • 10 inch snare drum on a Gibraltar RIMS-style universal mount attached to a stand, which happens to be a snare stand. (But nothing mounted in the basket for now.)
  • 16 inch floor tom as a mini-bass drum. Ludwig fold-out spurs which fit the floor tom mounts.
  • Ludwig bass drum pedal with a Dixson riser
  • 16 inch cymbal for a ride cymbal
  • 12 inch tom for a low tom, mounted on the cymbal stand.
  • Nothing for the left foot; three limbs is enough for now
  • She sits on a low stool with thighs parallel to the floor. Everything is low and within reach.

DSCN1569.JPG

DSCN1571.JPG

DSCN1574.JPG

DSCN1576.JPG

DSCN1575.JPG
When I need the fold-out spurs or the Dixson riser for another use, I use this Danmar for the mini-bass:
DSCN1577.JPG

DSCN1580.JPG

B.A.Baracus

Reaction score
dave.robertson said:
"How do other teachers manage a drumset setup for very young students?...ex 5 yrs old."

This is set-up for a five year old. (...First, I will admit to not being a "real" teacher. So, I do not have to deal with business or economic or teaching studio considerations of a professional. I do these lessons as a favor. A labor of love.)

• 10 inch snare drum on a Gibraltar RIMS-style universal mount attached to a stand, which happens to be a snare stand. (But nothing mounted in the basket for now.)
  • 16 inch floor tom as a mini-bass drum. Ludwig fold-out spurs which fit the floor tom mounts.
  • She sits on a low stool with thighs parallel to the floor. Everything is low and within reach.

DSCN1569.JPG

DSCN1571.JPG

DSCN1574.JPG

DSCN1576.JPG

DSCN1575.JPG
When I need the fold-out spurs or the Dixson riser for another use, I use this Danmar for the mini-bass:
DSCN1577.JPG

DSCN1580.JPG
Creative set-up!

Michael Beechey

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
B.A.Baracus said:

DSCN1569.JPG

DSCN1571.JPG

DSCN1574.JPG

DSCN1576.JPG

DSCN1575.JPG
DSCN1577.JPG

DSCN1580.JPG
Creative set-up!
nice....btw do you have any autistic students?

Michael Beechey

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
bigbonzo said:
Never taught kids that young on a kit. They were still doing rudiments on a pad at that age
This.
i learned on a windowsill, which I shredded with 3S sticks, to my parent's chagrin and then a pad, and then a remo pad set, but that was 53 yrs ago....ever since MTV and Sesame st style edutainment kids want instant gratification...difficult to bring that horse back to the barn..although I do know teachers that use cheap pad sets only.......I use moderation...i put Aquarian Superpads on a real kit, so at least the kids see visually that they're playing a real set of drums.

dave.robertson

Reaction score
Michael Beechey said:

DSCN1569.JPG

DSCN1571.JPG

DSCN1574.JPG

DSCN1576.JPG

DSCN1575.JPG
DSCN1577.JPG

DSCN1580.JPG
Creative set-up!
nice....btw do you have any autistic students?

Michael Beechey:
No, I do not have any autistic students.

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I do, one.

He has been with me for several years and has Asbergers, which, I am told, is a specific form of autism. He is far and away my best student...excellent reader and takes on open handed playing with ease. I already have him in the New Breed book.

He seems to connect with drumming. I know that he has issues in school and such but I don't allow him to bring those things into our lessons. His family went through some financial difficulties and I did not charge them for lessons for 6 months...for him the drums are his path to the real world and I didn't want him to loose that.

Michael Beechey

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
gwbasley said:
I do, one.

He has been with me for several years and has Asbergers, which, I am told, is a specific form of autism. He is far and away my best student...excellent reader and takes on open handed playing with ease. I already have him in the New Breed book.

He seems to connect with drumming. I know that he has issues in school and such but I don't allow him to bring those things into our lessons. His family went through some financial difficulties and I did not charge them for lessons for 6 months...for him the drums are his path to the real world and I didn't want him to loose that.
you have a wonderful spirit of service...lucky boy! my student brings his defiance and drama big time...I have asked him a few times what happens at school or his karate classes when he acts that way...he said that he does a time out in karate, and they send him to the principal's office at school....sad...

gwbasley

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My son is a special ed teacher and we have had discussions about autism and how to deal with it... so I can share a few key things:

Autistic kids can appear detached emotionally...some more than others. They also tend to take what you say literally, so you have to tailor your speech somewhat.

They are more likely to respond creatively to imagery or something that they can visualize, so I use words like "picture this..." or describe a song as "warm and sunny"...

When he was first learning to read I handed him a sheet of paper saying "this is a whole note, now tare it in half and these are half notes..." etc....(you get what I was doing)...he picked up reading right away!

I've had some other students who were not diagnosed, but I suspect they had some kind of learning disability, and I've tried this visualizing with them with positive results.

I hope this is helpful...it has worked for me.

George

Michael Beechey

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
gwbasley said:
My son is a special ed teacher and we have had discussions about autism and how to deal with it... so I can share a few key things:

Autistic kids can appear detached emotionally...some more than others. They also tend to take what you say literally, so you have to tailor your speech somewhat.

They are more likely to respond creatively to imagery or something that they can visualize, so I use words like "picture this..." or describe a song as "warm and sunny"...

When he was first learning to read I handed him a sheet of paper saying "this is a whole note, now tare it in half and these are half notes..." etc....(you get what I was doing)...he picked up reading right away!

I've had some other students who were not diagnosed, but I suspect they had some kind of learning disability, and I've tried this visualizing with them with positive results.

I hope this is helpful...it has worked for me.

George
I met with his worker for an hour...she gave me some tips....I was surprised that praise doesnt work...outside approval is less important than other carrots like getting what HE wants....so I give him that when he gives me some of what i ask for...repetitive stuff like practicing rudiments is just about impossible

Latest posts