Teardrop Sonor 18/12/14 sets, anyone?

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
They're super rare. Maybe even special order. The only pic I've ever seen of an 18/12/14 teardrop set was a magazine ad featuring the jazz drummer Ray Mosca, and I'll bet he had them custom built.

I played a couple teardrop sets over the years. They were the typical 20/12/13/16. They were wonderful, but when I got into small group jazz, I wanted smaller sizes.

When Sonor changed to the Phonics, they made 18/12/14 sets, but the drums were very heavy, very thick shells. Completely different sound.

If anyone has an actual teardrop bop set, post a pic so I can drool.

Frank Godiva

Reaction score
Rare yes. Special order no. They are listed here in the 1972 price sheet available in all finishes. I tracked 2 kits last year that came up last year in the US and one is up on the bay in the EU. I got to go back and dig up the FB posts and can get you some pics. I almost pulled the trigger but have 4 drops already and a Phonic Rosewood bop and a Lite Bop so I passed. Will get you some pics.

Frank Godiva

Reaction score
The occasion siting in these parts

tkillian

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those are the old ones. Look at the date of the video. Its from a 1994 concert. So that is 25 years ago.

I saw Brian play this drum set live. They were amazing. Killing.

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Those are the old ones. Look at the date of the video. Its from a 1994 concert. So that is 25 years ago.

I saw Brian play this drum set live. They were amazing. Killing.
I missed the date on the video.
Yeah, they sound amazing. I wonder where he found those drums.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
For some reason, my browser blocks access to that web site.
Here I Copy and paste- text then pictures- because you have to see them:

"
A friend has asked me to help sell his Sonor Teardrop Bop Kit. The kit has a super rare 12x18 bass drum, 8x12 and 14x14 Floor Tom, all original Sonor hardware, including cymbal arm (minus one wing nut on the bass drum spur) but it is in perfect working order. The drums are in amazing shape and sound phenomenal.

He's looking to get $5000, but willing to entertain offers. please message with questions or request for pics!!"

My comments: Looks like my Gretsch Red Wine Pearl and 2) as Ringo said you know "it" don't come (5000) easy.. ;)

AaronLatos

spang spang a lang
Reaction score
I've seen a couple come up in my area (NYC metro). I've got a late Champion bop in natural beech (verified original finish, bought from the first owner). Great drums. Super woody sounding, like wood blocks with heads. Not a single stay overtone in the toms.

royal ace

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My 18,12,14 Premier set, purchased in 2009 from Bill Maley via ebay. In my estimation, they're equal in quality to Sonor teardrops in build as well as tonal quality. I paid $1,650 for 3 drums, (w/o snare)

Latest posts