Tech idiot requires help - Roland TD-17 TM-2

hubbledrums

Reaction score
Hello all

Please excuse this question from a complete and utter tech idiot

I have a TD-17 module with the two additional aux ports being used for a 2nd crash cymbal and fourth tom

This module is connected to a Roland PM-10 for sound

I have two spare CY-12 cymbals that I would like to use for splash and china and was hoping that .......

1. Buy Roland TM-2
2. Connect the Cymbals
3. Connect the TM-2 to the TD-17 via midi cable

and thats it ....... I can now use the two extra cymbals

Now ...... is the correct or am I missing something - or does someone have a better solution?

Kind regards

Ian

electrodrummer

Reaction score
MIDI is not relevant here as the TD17 is very limited and has no MIDI in, so you can't use the TD17 to create the sound from external units.

So, going on your TM-2 suggestion, you can connect the cymbals to the TM-2 then mix the TM-2 audio with the TD17.

Thus:

extra pads --> TM-2 --> TM-2 audio out --> audio cable(s) --> TD17 mix in --> TD17 --> cans / PM10 / whatever

Or use an external mixer thus:

pads --> TD17 --> TD17 audio out --> audio cable(s) --> Mixer
AND
extra pads --> TM-2 --> TM-2 audio out --> audio cable(s) --> Mixer
AND
Mixer --> cans / PM10 / whatever

Whitten

Reaction score
The TM-1 is cheaper I think and slightly better specced.
It has two sounds per kit, two trigger ins and an app to save your sounds and drop them on to the triggers.
So it seems better suited to your needs I think.

electrodrummer

Reaction score
The TM-1 is cheaper I think and slightly better specced.
It has two sounds per kit, two trigger ins and an app to save your sounds and drop them on to the triggers.
So it seems better suited to your needs I think.
2nd user TM2s are £100 here in Blightly, new £150 or $150 in the US. Support 4-pads, have MIDI IN and out (for expansion - the issue the TD17 caused) and a proper display for playing with and easy adjusting. So, different animal, but to my mind a much more flexible beast.
Having MIDI also means the TM2 could be triggered from the TD17 for, say, layering extra sounds.
Other options could simply any old module (but you'd lose the sample playing)

Whitten

Reaction score
Brand new TM-1 is only about £135. The original question was about two extra triggers, which is why I recommended the newer and cheaper TM-1.