Ted Reed's Gladstone collection

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know there isn't a lot known about Ted Reed out there, but I thought everyone should know that he studied with Billy Gladstone for awhile and he was an avid collector of his drums after BG died.
I studied with Ted (for about 1.5 years) back in the mid-70's when he had retired from the NY society band scene and had a teaching studio in the Brown Bros. Building in downtown Clearwater, FL.
Unfortunately, I was a cocky teen that thought I knew everything, so I missed out on a lot of what he had to offer. I could tell right away that he had tremendous ability on the set and his studio was plastered with pictures of him in clubs and restaurants palling around with all the big names in the Jazz drumming world. He also had a Deagan "Aurora II" vibraharp that he would demonstrate and practice on as well. Years later he donated his Vibraharp to the Orchestra in lieu of a tax deduction. We still use it today.
One of his favorite things was a "drop the needle test. After you learned about 3-4 basic latin beats, he would start the record player and select a tune and he insisted that you begin to play the correct beat with in about 1-2 bars. His reasoning was that someday you would be on a gig and maybe miss the name of the tune called and you needed to be able to recognize that style immediately and play. I remember he was widowed, but eventually married a woman in the Clearwater area that turned out (unbeknownst to him) to be a millionaire. A college friend of mine studied with him and eventually bought his collection long before the value exploded. Those drums are pictured below, but I'm not sure if those are all of them. Enjoy!!

Ted Reed photo.jpg
Ted's Gladstones.jpg

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know there isn't a lot known about Ted Reed out there, but I thought everyone should know that he studied with Billy Gladstone for awhile and he was an avid collector of his drums after BG died.
I studied with Ted (for about 1.5 years) back in the mid-70's when he had retired from the NY society band scene and had a teaching studio in the Brown Bros. Building in downtown Clearwater, FL.
Unfortunately, I was a cocky teen that thought I knew everything, so I missed out on a lot of what he had to offer. I could tell right away that he had tremendous ability on the set and his studio was plastered with pictures of him in clubs and restaurants palling around with all the big names in the Jazz drumming world. He also had a Deagan "Aurora II" vibraharp that he would demonstrate and practice on as well. Years later he donated his Vibraharp to the Orchestra in lieu of a tax deduction. We still use it today.
One of his favorite things was a "drop the needle test. After you learned about 3-4 basic latin beats, he would start the record player and select a tune and he insisted that you begin to play the correct beat with in about 1-2 bars. His reasoning was that someday you would be on a gig and maybe miss the name of the tune called and you needed to be able to recognize that style immediately and play. I remember he was widowed, but eventually married a woman in the Clearwater area that turned out (unbeknownst to him) to be a millionaire. A college friend of mine studied with him and eventually bought his collection long before the value exploded. Those drums are pictured below, but I'm not sure if those are all of them. Enjoy!!

View attachment 476600 View attachment 476601
Could this be the ever elusive natural maple round badge set whose existence periodically gets argued about.

afwdrums

Reaction score
This one is a gretsch Gladstone I believe. Price is nuts as well IMO...
did you read the listing man? seems pretty extensively documented as a legit Billy Gladstone drum...I can't comment on the price, any legit Gladstone is waaaaay out of my league, but this one seems to be a simple case of "try to find another one"

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Thanks for the cool info. I studied out of the syncopation book with my teacher back in the 80's and that picture of Ted Reed behind the Gretsch set brings back memories. I think I still have the book too. I'm sure Ted was heck of a player and a great teacher.

Castnblast

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
did you read the listing man? seems pretty extensively documented as a legit Billy Gladstone drum...I can't comment on the price, any legit Gladstone is waaaaay out of my league, but this one seems to be a simple case of "try to find another one"
Ya man, under features it lists the drum as a prototype. The shell is Gretsch so is the throw off. Hence, gretsch Gladstone...

afwdrums

Reaction score
did Billy make the Gretsch Gladstones himself? I was under the impression (perhaps wrongly) that he did not make those personally, and it was more like a license to use his design and name for Gretsch to build those drums...so I was making the distinction between a "legit" Gladstone as one that Billy built himself, versus a Gretsch Gladstone he did not personally build...this gold drum on ebay seems to have been personally built by Billy, hence a "legit" Gladstone...but maybe I'm wrong in these assumptions?

Castnblast

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’m no expert either, but I have owned an original Billy Gladstone since 1988, and have done my share of reading and research on these drums. I have no doubt BG made that eBay drum, so if to you, that classifies the drum as a “legit“ Gladstone, so be it. I’m just saying I don’t believe it is one of the original 50 gladstone custom snare drums that he built. (that are recognized as the original 50 he built)
The lugs, shell, throw etc are all gretsch - so that’s the only reason I call it a Gretsch Gladstone. But again, I’m no expert. The global expert on all things Gladstone is Chet Falzerano, who I believe lives in San Fran or SoCal somewhere. He would know.

I think you are correct that Gretsch built the gretsch Gladstone under licence.
I also question the selling price for this drum. $49k US seems very high for a prototype drum.

Possibly because this drums badge is personalized to Billy Gladstone and Radio City, it has more value? But I doubt it. I hope I’m wrong, maybe values have come up?

Last edited:

afwdrums

Reaction score
I’m no expert either, but I have owned an original Billy Gladstone since 1988, and have done my share of reading and research on these drums. I have no doubt BG made that eBay drum, so if to you, that classifies the drum as a “legit“ Gladstone, so be it. I’m just saying I don’t believe it is one of the original 50 gladstone custom snare drums that he built. (that are recognized as the original 50 he built)
The lugs, shell, throw etc are all gretsch - so that’s the only reason I call it a Gretsch Gladstone. But again, I’m no expert. The global expert on all things Gladstone is Chet Falzerano, who I believe lives in San Fran or SoCal somewhere. He would know.

I think you are correct that Gretsch built the gretsch Gladstone under licence.
I also question the selling price for this drum. $49k US seems very high for a prototype drum. I had my drum
”non officially” appraised from photos I sent to MAxwells drum shop in Manhattan and it was estimated at 17K US. I also have the original hand written receipt that Billy Gladstone gave to Ray Reilly. (the original owner of my drum) I bought it from Ray in 1988.

Possibly because this drums badge is personalized to Billy Gladstone and Radio City, it has more value? But I doubt it. I hope I’m wrong, maybe values have come up?
you sir, as an owner of an original Gladstone, are way more qualified/knowledgable on this matter than I will ever be, thanks for the info!