Tell me about DW 5000 kick pedals

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've been playing Yamaha pedals for my entire adult life. Recently a friend lent me one of his DW 5000 pedals. It's one of the newer ones with the tri pivot toe clamp. I found that I was able to perform certain figures with a little more clarity and snap, eg. Bonham triplets.

Who among you plays this venerable pedal? Likes/ dislikes? Accelerator or Turbo?

Thanks y'all!!!

RyanR

Underaged Curmudgeon
Reaction score
They're fine pedals. Real ground breakers in the old days. Of course, it was based on more Camco designs they appropriated.

I used to have one and a HH stand. I don't think they're that special anymore. A basic Gibraltar does just as well now. The industry has caught up.

-Ryan

R

RickP

I have owned a few DW 5000 pedals and I just find them too heavy feeling . I can see the attraction for some players that need that feeling . I just prefer pedals with a lighter feel and I also prefer direct drive or strap drive pedals to chain drives.

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
RyanR said:
They're fine pedals. Real ground breakers in the old days. Of course, it was based on more Camco designs they appropriated.

I used to have one and a HH stand. I don't think they're that special anymore. A basic Gibraltar does just as well now. The industry has caught up.

-Ryan
I would agree with what Ryan has stated... I have both! I will say that my DW5000 double pedal is going on 20 years in age and 1000s of gigs and other than regular maintnance it has never had a single malfuntion or issue. My single Gibralter pedal is only 4 years old and feels just a smooth and nice but I dont know how it will hold up in 20 years. It's really well made however so I would suspect it will hold up just as well. As far as feel goes that is such a subjective thing that it's hard to comment on becuase everyone has their own likes and dislikes.

Murat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I liken the 5000 to a nice diesel car versus the 9000 to a Ferrari :icon_smile: It is solid, reliable, maybe a little sluggish at the beginning but once you get it going, solid as anything. 9000 on the other hand just flies right off the bat.

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I too have also found them "heavy" feeling. But me having a heavy foot - as I said - was able to perform some figures more accurately on the 5000 vs. my DFP 9500.

I will def. check out the Gibraltar!

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm another from the "heavy feeling" choir. I returned one about 2 years ago because I just didn't care for the "weightiness" when playing it. I also have an older single chain 5000 that I converted to a strap drive. It's definitely a bit lighter in feel than the modern ones.

jbonzo1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Along with the 9000's, it's the best pedal I've ever played.
Super smooth and easily adjustable. Also, pretty much bullet-proof.

anthony marquart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If you really like a powerful stroke on the BD head the 5000 is a great choice. I used to play one and loved it for many years. These days I'm a speed cobra guy,.. so when I play a 5000 these days, yeah, it feels really heavy... but you can really put a smack to the BD with it.

If you like them it's good cause there are used DW5000's hidden in every corner of ebay and craiglist for real good prices.

cplueard

Reaction score
The heavy feel came from the beater to me. Swapped the beaters for something lighter and it's got the best control and throw of any pedal I've played. I play 9000 extended board pedals that have that same throw and control but gives more feel with a longboard. I've found that the vater poly beaters are phenomenal on these pedals as well because they've got the weight of a standard beater but the superb balance on them makes them feel light.

zenghost

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I own five or six, acquired at a low cost typically and immediately converted to strap drive with the offset cam if need be - parts are plentiful.

Love the pedal and though I have tried others, Ive never found It to be the weak point for me in playing the bass drum.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
My go to pedal, I have 5 or 6 of them, all using strap drive. In that configuration they are basically a heavier duty, more adjustable version of the original Camco/Gretsch Floating Action pedal. I have a 9000 too but it always felt too heavy to me...your results may vary.

Grooovepig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
"The heavy feel came from the beater to me. Swapped the beaters for something lighter and it's got the best control and throw of any pedal I've played. I play 9000 extended board pedals that have that same throw and control but gives more feel with a longboard. I've found that the vater poly beaters are phenomenal on these pedals as well because they've got the weight of a standard beater but the super balance on them makes them feel light."

I agree with this. When I borrowed my friend's 5000 I put on a regular round felt beater and liked it better over the stock. Perhaps using a Danmar beater (2.7 oz.) and a strap would be a winning combo.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have a 5000 bass pedal - sturdy, well made, no wobble and feels great. Not the greatest pedal for jazz, though, as it doesn't bounce back. But I can see why it is (was) the standard. The 3000 and 6000 are also nice. I have a PDP double chain pedal that is heavy and also very nice quality. My 5000 HH stand is not so great. Nice, but I can't get it adjusted to pull tight and crisp (the pedal is spongy to me- definitely could be my inability to adjust it!).

I have Pearl and a Yamaha bass pedals - not as nice, cheaper, but they are simple chain driven pedals that work for jazz as they are light on the foot touch.

I have a set of DW 9000 double pedals. It's like upgrading from a Toyota to a Ferrari.....I just don't need or use them for jazz......

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I went from speed king to DW5000 When they first came out. I still use a single 5k for gigs and had a 5k double pedal until I replaced it with the DW 9k. Both are solid pedals that never fail...I have tried various other pedals which were good but kept going back to the DWs. I do agree that the 5k does tend to feel a bit on the heavy side but with some tweaking, canopus bearings, beaters, you can get the feel you want. I also use the turbo model for a linear feel. May try a MDD next...

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't really understand this heavy feeling some call the 5000. I've got 3 set up for all kinds of gigs, jazz, funk, pop. Medium to light spring tension and danmar felt beaters and I get as much control as I need. I've sat in on 2 pedals that feel lighter, the JoJo and a speed cobra, but there's no punch in them, I'm not talking power or volume, but the ability for MY foot at least, to play dynamically. From a feather to a slam.

Anyway, I'm a big DW 500 fan. Older, no baseplate. There's a new name for that. 6000? The best for me is the Limited edition Titanium footboard tho. I LOOOOVE mine...

cornelius

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think Ive been using 5000s longer than any other piece of gear (mid 80s). Durable and lots of adjustability...

Slippy

a.k.a "slow feet"
Reaction score
I played the 5000 for about 5 years, I loved the feel I tend to like resistance in my pedals. I use the weight all the way up on the beater to get the max whip feel. I got a chance back in 2012 to pick up the 9000 and wow what a great feeling pedal all the stuff I liked bout the 5000 but with a smoother feel to it. All my pedals are double pedals just for reference. 6 months ago I picked up the trick proV1 double pedal I will never own another pedal again in my life!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think it feels "heavy" to me because it is solid and heavy metal to begin with. The Pearl pedal I have is thin and light and just barely tapping it with the ball of my foot moves it. The DW needs more weight to push the weight of the pedal itself. If I loosen/adjust the load of the DW to have a similar feel/touch, it's too loose and doesn't rebound well.........just my $0.02.....

Latest posts