Tell me about DW 5000 kick pedals

bob

DFO Master
Reaction score
i have played a dw 9000 ... really liked it too , that will be my next pedal

Castnblast

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I bought a 5000 (no base plate) in 84 and used it forever, replacing parts as required and not too often.
Great pedal. I just joined the speed cobra camp a few weeks ago.
Would have bought another 5000, just felt like I was missing something with the long board etc

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have two single DW 5000s. Great pedals. They have a great reaction speed and they never feel heavy or sluggish to me. I've had one for over 16 yrs and the other for about 12.

Sequimite

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Gretsch Floating Action was the first pedal I loved. I got an early 5000 and thought it a worthy successor. It's been my main pedal for three decades. I also have a 1939 Martin Fleetfoot, the pedal design Camco bought. Looking across this range the main difference from the Martin to the 5000 is the plate that stabilizes it.

Heavy? Yeah, I have a size 14 foot and the optional longboard footboard so I feel the heaviness with my hands but not my foot.

I have just changed to an Axis XL because the wider footboard feels good to me.

audiochurch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
bought one new years ago. loved it! used it for punk/indie rock and it delivers a thump!! it is a tank that will last an entire career with regular minor maintenance.

as my career evolved to mostly lower volume playing, i sold it for the simple bulkiness of it. this is NOT a knock on it. i just drifted towards lower lines of Tama and Yamaha pedals due to their simple, light function.

Oh, the price of my one dw5000 single pedal was the same as 4 used Tama and Yamaha pedals im using today.

jbonzo1

DFO Master
Reaction score
cplueard said:
The heavy feel came from the beater to me. Swapped the beaters for something lighter and it's got the best control and throw of any pedal I've played. I play 9000 extended board pedals that have that same throw and control but gives more feel with a longboard. I've found that the vater poly beaters are phenomenal on these pedals as well because they've got the weight of a standard beater but the superb balance on them makes them feel light.
I use a regular hard felt or wood beater on my DW pedals. Never cared for the two way plastic/felt beater.

Thumper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I had single and double varieties, replaced them with Yamaha pedals. They performed fine except the beater rebounded sufficiently to hit the top of my foot. May have been the adjustment though I've never had that issue with any other pedal.

gezz

DFO Master
Reaction score
I now own 3 dw pedals the single chain 5000 lighter model with two bars instead of solid base plate, a 5000 (new) and a 9000 ...Amazing!!BUT I use my heavier(new) 5000 just now as it just feels perfect..

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
gezz said:
I now own 3 dw pedals the single chain 5000 lighter model with two bars instead of solid base plate, a 5000 (new) and a 9000 ...Amazing!!BUT I use my heavier(new) 5000 just now as it just feels perfect..
If you ever need the part, those two bars are called a Radius Rod

Balance

Reaction score
Has anyone worn out the teeth on the cams? Have read on some forums people having done this, just curious.

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Balance said:
Has anyone worn out the teeth on the cams? Have read on some forums people having done this, just curious.
As I said earlier mine is 20 years old and I checked the teeth after reading this and they look brand new. I guess I'm an average size man (170lb) and don't have a heavy foot because my pedal has alomost no wear after probably 1000 gigs in that time. I always read with intrest the other forum members that have stated they broke this piece or that piece. I guess I'm just not anywhere near that heavy footed or big enough to break it, it just seems fool proof in its design. But that is just me.

dangermoney

Reaction score
backtodrum said:
As I said earlier mine is 20 years old and I checked the teeth after reading this and they look brand new. I guess I'm an average size man (170lb) and don't have a heavy foot because my pedal has alomost no wear after probably 1000 gigs in that time. I always read with intrest the other forum members that have stated they broke this piece or that piece. I guess I'm just not anywhere near that heavy footed or big enough to break it, it just seems fool proof in its design. But that is just me.
I agree. I have one that's 15 years old with over 1000 gigs on it. It has always been super reliable, has never failed, and is holding up just fine. I have never even changed any parts, not even the springs. But like you, I am not heavy footed.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
latzanimal said:
I have broken the screw that holds the chain to the pedal and the bracket that holds the double chain on the newer ones....

But I am probably the exception to most...
I did that on the older of my two pedals. It was easy enough for me to fix by buying a new screw and nut.

gezz

DFO Master
Reaction score
jaymandude said:
If you ever need the part, those two bars are called a Radius Rod
Thank you hahaha I never knew that.. Now I do, you learn something everyday... :)

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have three 5002's, two single chain and one double chain. Before getting my first 5000 I played a pair of Swivo-Matics for about 30 years. I use a pair of Sound Percussion acrylic beaters on my gigging set, and have never found the pedals to feel heavy.

I tried a 9000 shortly after they came out, but never could get comfortable with it, and sold it at a serious loss. With the tension spring between the support post and footboard my feet wound up often rubbing the spring. That didn't work for me.

I got the double chain model several years ago from GC, where it had been returned. Got it for about $200, which seemed fair, and I've gigged it ever since. The single chains pedals stay on my home set and the set at my big band leader's house, so the both see regular work, too.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Curious as to whether any of you have experimented with changing the position of the strap drive cam on the hex pivot axle. I never liked the cam in the stock position (sticking straight out towards the head with the pedal at rest) ..... I was too used to my Swivo that Id used for years. I re-phased the cam by retarding it 60 degrees (see pix below); this required disassembly of the axle - not too big a deal, but you have to remove one of the bearings from the post. Now the cam points nearly upwards with the pedal at rest. I like the whip action this gives me, plus the added power at the strike on the batter. The physics of this config makes much more sense to me ......

Mike

Attachments

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
latzanimal said:
I have broken the screw that holds the chain to the pedal and the bracket that holds the double chain on the newer ones....

You probably remember Slipknot1 from the Pearl forum. He used to roadie for Skynyrd and also worked at a NY Guitar Center when off the road. He swore by the Iron Cobra and Pearl pedals but by comparison the DW pedals had a lot of returns.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used to pay the DW 5000 in the late 80s - 90s and the 5002 in the early 90s. I thought they were great pedals. I did manage to break a hinge on one of my single pedals, but the current design is much better. I've been playing Pearl pedals since the late 90s and they are very good, but the 9000s are really nice. My buddy set one up right out of the box, no adjustments and it blows me away every time.

latzanimal

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Halfway between the Quads and the Windy City...
Bri6366 said:

You probably remember Slipknot1 from the Pearl forum. He used to roadie for Skynyrd and also worked at a NY Guitar Center when off the road. He swore by the Iron Cobra and Pearl pedals but by comparison the DW pedals had a lot of returns.
I do remember him. My guess is that at the time, DW pedals out sold the other 2 brands...

Latest posts