Tell me about DW 5000 kick pedals

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I like chain drive pedals and the DW 5000 is wonderful in my book. It's just right, adjustable from heavy to light, and whatever angle, etc., I want. It works in all genres I play from rock to blues. I don't experience any heaviness unique to the pedal. I did switch out the stock beater to an old school Gibraltar round felt one, which I've always preferred to the newer style options. I don't like to fight the momentum of a heavier beater with every stroke. It's been mentioned before that this may be what some of you who call the pedal too heavy are experiencing rather than the action of the pedal itself, and I agree with that. The only thing I could call a con would be its actual carrying weight and inability to fold up, but the build quality and feeling of stability make up for that. To those of you who say these pedals feel "too heavy", try changing out the beater and then playing around with the tension. If I remember right, both my DW's came with weird tensions out of the box and I had to dial them in to feel right.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
latzanimal said:
I have broken the screw that holds the chain to the pedal and the bracket that holds the double chain on the newer ones....

But I am probably the exception to most...
You probably remember Slipknot1 from the Pearl forum. He used to roadie for Skynyrd and also worked at a NY Guitar Center when off the road. He swore by the Iron Cobra and Pearl pedals but by comparison the DW pedals had a lot of returns.
I do remember him. My guess is that at the time, DW pedals out sold the other 2 brands...

He had more problems with DW in general. He had pictures of broken footplates. Now I don't know how you mange to break a footplate, but it was a problem the other two big sellers didn't have.

theEZV

Reaction score
I have an old single chain 5000 double pedal (even pre Delta-hinge) I picked up used online from Guitar Center for $100, actually in pretty good shape. I break it out every now and then to change things up. The DW beaters are ridiculously heavy however, I just use Yamaha felt beaters on my all pedals.

dangermoney

Reaction score
Fun 2 Drum said:
I like chain drive pedals and the DW 5000 is wonderful in my book. It's just right, adjustable from heavy to light, and whatever angle, etc., I want. It works in all genres I play from rock to blues. I don't experience any heaviness unique to the pedal. I did switch out the stock beater to an old school Gibraltar round felt one, which I've always preferred to the newer style options. I don't like to fight the momentum of a heavier beater with every stroke. It's been mentioned before that this may be what some of you who call the pedal too heavy are experiencing rather than the action of the pedal itself, and I agree with that. The only thing I could call a con would be its actual carrying weight and inability to fold up, but the build quality and feeling of stability make up for that. To those of you who say these pedals feel "too heavy", try changing out the beater and then playing around with the tension. If I remember right, both my DW's came with weird tensions out of the box and I had to dial them in to feel right.
I quickly dumped the stock rubber/felt tipped beater for the DW medium felt beater after seeing Steve Smith using one. Made a world of difference in the feel of the pedal for me ...

premierplayer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a 5000 and a 7002, haven't pedal shopped in over a decade. To me, they are the baseline. One of these days I'll hit the lottery and get a 9002 :laughing6:

brya0125

Reaction score
Seems to me like they keep on getting better. I had a vintage one from the nineties in horrible condition. The hinge had broken so I bought a DW replacement for $14. It felt great after that.
I was browsing on the Guitar Center Used list and I saw one of the newest 5000 series turbo pedals in great condition for only $50! I bought it and it showed up in perfect shape with only some dust. It was heavier and sturdier, but seemed just as fluid as the old 5000 I had. I changed the beater as well. They have so many adjustments, and the tri-pivot toe clamp is a nice touch.

Tedd

Reaction score
I'm another from the "heavy feeling" choir. I returned one about 2 years ago because I just didn't care for the "weightiness" when playing it. I also have an older single chain 5000 that I converted to a strap drive. It's definitely a bit lighter in feel than the modern ones.
What parts are needed to convert a DW6000 single chain pedal to a strap drive? And where did you get the parts?

flamthrower

Reaction score
I guess when everyone is discussing the 5000, they're referring to the turbo, not the accelerator, which has an even heavier feeling and can really slam the bass. I gigged with an accelerator for 25 years, no problems. I prefer the turbo though with a more natural feel and have an old 7000 which is now the 3000 which I highly recommend. I prefer the 7000 turbo over the 5000 accelerator. I currently also have the Mapex Falcon which I guess is considered a medium weight pedal although I use it without the beater weights. It has a foot board that's in between a long and short board. I've sometimes got a busy and heavy foot which seems to me can get a little loud at times so I'm considering a light pedal such as the speed cobra. I've always preferred a heavier pedal but things change.

Dave H.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have owned several DW 5000, A real Camco & a Floating Action plus the 9000 that I am using now. I just love the basic design of the pedal and have no problem using any of them though I really like the 9000 series bass pedals & Hat stands the best.

Slawman

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Much difference in feel between the double and single chain (6000) models ?

Really temped to try a 5000 or 6000 as I've never played a DW before and they are so highly regarded.

The 5000 looks like a heavy hunk of metal so that kind of puts me off it a bit as i tend to go for lightweight gear.

Always played cheaper Yamaha pedals (FP-7210A) for as long as i can remember, I'm very tempted to try an accelerator model, should i expect something very different in feel from the yamaha ?

Does anyone know the weight of the current 5000 ?

Last edited:

dwdave

Groovinator
Reaction score
I've been playing Yamaha pedals for my entire adult life. Recently a friend lent me one of his DW 5000 pedals. It's one of the newer ones with the tri pivot toe clamp. I found that I was able to perform certain figures with a little more clarity and snap, eg. Bonham triplets.

Who among you plays this venerable pedal? Likes/ dislikes? Accelerator or Turbo?

Thanks y'all!!!
I have a few.... I prefer the Turbo, I just like the feel of the round cam. There is an expensive but well worth it mod. Canopus makes a bearing that eliminates the triangle and plastic roller. It makes the pedal smoother and even more bullet proof.

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Whats the deal with the the big chunky heel plates on some of these pedals, don't get it, anyone like em ?

NickCesarz

Reaction score
I don't find my DW5000 to be heavy, rather SOLID. I have the single pedal variant, love it. :happy2:

However, I did have the DW3000 double pedal and toured with it for three years. The bolt holding the chain to the pedal snapped multiple times. Hoping the 5000 will not suffer the same issue.

SteveB

DFO Master
Reaction score
I too have owned 5000's since the mid 80's. A word to the wise; unless it makes a real difference to you get the 3000 instead. Its basically the same pedal as the 5000 with a black paint job. You'll save $150. Mine are all sprocket style. I've just grown with the original Ippolito pedal, which was the first chain drive/Camco conversion that I had seen. Also still use SpeedKings once in a while.

That said I tried a number of new pedals and for the most part they had no resistance at all. The DW still has a good amount, especially if you set the rocker back a bit, putting the beater at about 60 degrees...feels better to me that way....more like what I'm used to with the Ludwig.

michaelg

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Pearl eliminator with strap + red cam looks like it would play very similar to the 5000 strap, anyone compared them for feel ?

Also I've noticed The 6000 pedals do not have the aluminium hex shaft that comes on the 5000's, i would imagine this is going to change the feel somewhat.

Shame the 5000 strap is no longer in production.

Last edited:

1up2dn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Pearl eliminator with strap + red cam looks like it would play very similar to the 5000 strap, anyone compared them for feel ?

Also I've noticed The 6000 pedals do not have the aluminium hex shaft that comes on the 5000's, i would imagine this is going to change the feel somewhat.

Shame the 5000 strap is no longer in production.
I just bought a new 6000 strap pedal (6000nx) and with a felt beater (85gr) vs the stock DW beater (105gr) this pedal feels like my old camco gretsch strap pedal...which was what i was hoping for since I've had that gretsch camco since 1974! I also have the tama camco chain pedal, a gibraltar strap pedal and an IC 900....love them all...

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love my 5000s. The heavier feel definitley comes from the beater IMO. I replaced the stock beaters with a Creative Percussion Elite Cherry wood beater and it's a beautiful feeling pedal.