Kit is in decent shape

Goes well with the paiste 3000

Have coated ambassadors on it
Seems like the best choice

Attachments

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The layup will be easy to tell if you take off a head and check the shell. I'm guessing they are 3-ply (maple/poplar/maple or maple/poplar/mahogany) with solid maple reinforcing rings. I've attached a picture of my Super Classic from late 1970, showing the shells.

-Mark

Attachments

gretschdrummer

Reaction score
Sorry a little about it

22/13/16

That’s an acrolite
Powder coated red

I have the 12 but someone decided to put a second Tom mount lug on it. Yuk

coated ambassadors all around
So tomorrow I’ll check the interiors

Wrap is pretty tight still nice

Any one have one these and thoughts on them

I got them really inexpensive
They do sound very low pitched
Great for rock

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Most likely they are mahogany/poplar/maple shells but might be maple/poplar/maple. Generally wrapped drums of that era had a mahogany outer ply but sometimes they were maple. Inner ply was pretty much consistently maple from 1968 onward, at least up to the time they started spraying granitone on the interiors.

That is not factory placement of the double tom mount base plate on the bass drum, which would have been centered on the shell between the heads. It also looks like it might be the early style cast aluminum version besides. So this was probably not a Hollywood outfit but rather a Super Classic or Deluxe Classic that someone turned in to a five piece set. Is there any evidence (extra holes) of having once had a rail mount? No matter, the drums were all the same regardless of what outfit they might have come with.

Looks like a nice set.

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Hollywood name came first. Later renamed Big Beat. Essentially, the same kit.
If you wanna know how old it is, look inside and tell us what the ink stamp says.
It can take many forms, so it may not make sense to you, but it will to someone.
Sharp points on the badge indicate 60's/70's manufacture. I think they rounded off the tips on that badge in '78 or '79.
I agree with the points that KO brought up....would explain why the 12 has a different mounting bracket.
It is a nice kit. Noticing a lot of Red Sparkle kits being posted lately....must be coming back. =)

Elvis

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hollywood and Big Beat were the same drums with the Big Beat having heavier duty hardware provided. In either case ( or with any of the other double mounted tom catalog sets) the base plate would be centered on the top of the bass drum. That rear oriented placement with no extra holes is a bit of a puzzler. Some of the bigger drum stores would order sets without the mounting hardware installed and then install whatever type of hardware the buyer wanted in whatever position he wanted it. That's a possibility I guess. Might have originally been part of a bigger set with double bass drums, which were usually "virgin" as far as tom mounts. More pictures might give us more clues.

As I mentioned above all the drums were the same regardless of what configuration they came from. The outfit names just referred to a particular combination of sizes and hardware. There were no distinct Hollywood or Downbeat drums, just the one 3 ply shell design used for everything, including Club Dates and Standards.

gretschdrummer

Reaction score
Here’s some pics

Does this give a better clue?

Attachments

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Shell appears to be (inside to outside) maple/poplar/mahogany, which was typical at the time.