Tell Me About This Drumset: Gretsch Catalina Club

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hade a little issue dialing my 12" tom in a well and I felt the Gretsch two lug suspension system that came with the kit was chocking the drum a little so I swapped it out for a regular 5 lug rims mount and it made all the difference in the world. Just a thought! I have shingle ply Remo coated ambassadors and the stock Gretsch resos on the bottoms and they tuned up and sounded great. I have coated the insides of the toms and bass drum with 5 coats of wipe on urethane as well. I can't say it changed the sound much in any perceptible amount but they look nice and higher end.
I had a similar experience. When I took off the batter head it came with (which was cratered beyond playability), put on a good one and began to put the hoops and rims mount back on, the two rods that fit on the 2-hole Gretsch rims weren't going straight in and it caused me to initially think that the bearing edge was faulty. On my second try, I pressed the 2-hole Gretsch rim closer to the drum shell because it was acting like it wanted to straighten out, which caused the issue with the rods.

Who makes a 5-lug rims mount? I think I'd prefer that to what I've currently got.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Who makes a 5-lug rims mount? I think I'd prefer that to what I've currently got.
If you can find an authentic Gauger alloy RIMS mount it suspends the drum from three adjustable points so it will work with the 5 lug design. I have one on my Renowns. The three points are spread further apart and it works very well. I've had the regular steel type full band RIMS too in the 12" 5 lug version.

RIMS® Alloy Pro Series - Gauger Percussion Inc

pkburrito

Reaction score
If you can find an authentic Gauger alloy RIMS mount it suspends the drum from three adjustable points so it will work with the 5 lug design. I have one on my Renowns. The three points are spread further apart and it works very well. I've had the regular steel type full band RIMS too in the 12" 5 lug version.

funnily enough, my 12” has a Gauger RIMS mount as well. Definitely better than the stock Gretsch.

varatrodder

Reaction score
I remember a "Bonham" sized set in anniversary sparkle at a local music store for around $800. Those were very tempting.
I did a recording session on one of those kits and it sounded AMAZING!

I did however learn that I am not athletic enough to play a 26" bass all the time. That thing is exhausting. It take a lot of energy to move air in a drum that size.

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the info; I'll have to look into that.