Tell me about your modern Ludwig Classic Maple Snare drum? I am considering a 6.5x14 CM Ply snare drum.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a Ludwig Classic Maple Snare drum (6.5x14 10 lug drum) that is a ply drum with an interesting finish. I haven't owned a CM ply snare drum, EVER. I mostly gravitate towards Solid Shell snares or Cast Metal drums, but I really want to try one. Please tell me how much you love yours. I know that there are many fans out there. Please share your thoughts and how they compare to your other snare drums.

J

jaymandude

I’m going to be the naysayer here. Everyone loves this line of drums, but I ran into 2 Backline CM kits in February and I just didn’t understand all the praise. Maybe I’m not that familiar with them, I see a lot more Yamaha and DW, but neither myself nor the other drummer ( I don’t want to out him, he plays his butt off with a hot shot guitarist ) could really figure it out. Floor toms in particular had so much basketball. We couldn’t tune it out

there was actually one night where I came on after him and he said “ watch out for the snare drum, when it detunes it gets really strange “. He was right, it detuned after a while and the whole drum sounded like it was out of phase. Weird weird stuff. I mean, Ive dealt with detuned drums for 20 years or more, but it was predictable. This was like “ what happened?” This was a 5x14 btw. New coated heads all around

I’m sure guys while chime in how they love their drums. I know some local
players with new kits who love them. But man, these drums just don’t do it for me.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I read your review while doing a search on this topic where you said the same thing. I don't doubt you at all. However, I have found that I don't love the heads that Ludwig used to ship these drums with. I know that a lot of guys here have a love for Ludwig heads, but I can't stand them. I know you mentioned that they had new heads... But, do you think that the bottom reso heads were spent? I did a bunch of backline gigs for a number of years and I found that while they replaced the batter heads, the reso heads could be really crappy, old, original heads that were either cranked up, too lose, completely unevenly tensioned. At any rate. I appreciate you chiming in on this one. I also hoping to hear from someone who has had positive results with Ludwig CM snare drums.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I really want to hear from drummers that love their Ludwig CM snare drum too!

J

jaymandude

after 18 shows in 21 nights I can't remember. I don't think the bottom heads were spent...Usually when we got a decent drum set from a real backline place all the heads were pretty good. All I can add on the negative is that the guy from Layayette was more meticulous about tuning than I, and he tunes loose, more rock. And I tune medium, more jazz. And on each Ludiwg night the tech guy said "yeah the other guy was having a problem tuning that drum as well".

I'm sure guys will chime in, it's a popular line around here :)

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
after 18 shows in 21 nights I can't remember. I don't think the bottom heads were spent...Usually when we got a decent drum set from a real backline place all the heads were pretty good. All I can add on the negative is that the guy from Layayette was more meticulous about tuning than I, and he tunes loose, more rock. And I tune medium, more jazz. And on each Ludiwg night the tech guy said "yeah the other guy was having a problem tuning that drum as well".

I'm sure guys will chime in, it's a popular line around here :)
Jay, I appreciate your insight, brother! I get it...the drums sucked! :cool: When you play a lot of kits, especially backline kits, you get a feel for what can sound good quickly. I have mostly played a variety of Yamaha backline kits. I always have a sense of relief when I see one sitting up there, but even those can sometimes suck. It really depends.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I know that there are a lot of you who have these drums...please, chime in!

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
I gigged one almost eclusively for a few years back in the 90's and can remember no fault in this drum at all . It was a 5 incher .

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I haven't owned one, but I've played a set on a 14x6.5 CM with a coated Emperor (or maybe a CS dot) at a low/medium rock tuning and it sounded good to me. I'm not a fan of Ludwig stuff overall, but that's due more to their lugs/hardware than sound.
Are you just looking to try something different or going for a particular sound?

Eyedrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Rob my brother, I have had two CM 6.5x14” Maple snare drums (an 8 lug and 10 lug model) and I thought they were both excellent sounding! One was a silver sparkle wrap, with 10 lugs and the other was an 8 lug cherry lacquer kit. In my opinion, the snare drums were the jewels if
of both kits. Ditch the stock heads for Remo CS over Amb and you’re golden. Compared to the same model in a Yamaha Maple Absolute, the Ludwig is a little wilder not as dry or controlled but every bit as sensitive and will a nice spread across the head.

The Ludwigs don’t have the tune locking inserts like a SONOR, Noble & Cooley or Yamaha but I don’t remember de tuning being an issue. With the improved Ludwig strainer it’s an even better drum than what I owned. The wires are generic but serviceable.

You know what I play buddy and I wouldn’t hesitate to own another CM Maple snare drum and the 6.5x14” is killer. Oh yeah, I had a WMP 5x14” too and it was also and excellent drum but prefer the 6.5” models.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I haven't owned one, but I've played a set on a 14x6.5 CM with a coated Emperor (or maybe a CS dot) at a low/medium rock tuning and it sounded good to me. I'm not a fan of Ludwig stuff overall, but that's due more to their lugs/hardware than sound.
Are you just looking to try something different or going for a particular sound?
It actually would match one of my kits. I generally don't care, but this one might be cool. I just don't have any experience with them other than taping on a couple at the Chicago Drum Show. Thank you for your insight.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I love my 6.5". Very sensitive, plenty of body. Agreed, lots of sustain. I use Tight Screws at a few lugs, including on the reso side under my rimshot area, and they do not de-tune.

View attachment 433107
Hi Amy,
Thank you for chiming in on this one. I know that you have this one and a deeper 8x14 (I believe) version and I really value your opinion with all things Ludwig. That green is just the best!!! Too bad about the Chicago Show (and the rest of the world melting down...). Hopefully next year!

Heyleuck

Reaction score
I have a 14x6.5 CM with the new p88 throw off in Mod Orange. It's my absolute favorite. Mine has a huge tuning range and just does it all for me.

I find that I only ever want to use a single ply head with it, two ply really seems to choke it.

Carter Maclean just started playing a CM kit and the videos sound great as usual. The tuning video he put out really shows the range they have.