Tell me about your modern Ludwig Classic Maple Snare drum? I am considering a 6.5x14 CM Ply snare drum.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here's mine....

LS403TD50_001_sml.JPG

It's a LS403TD which is an "Exotic Birdseye Maple" veneer. I ordered this about a year after getting my 100th Anniversary BB, which I don't think was too long after they started offering the "exotic" veneer snares (the veneers are certainly in the 2009 catalog). I didn't want the standard brass hardware so I went the custom order route and went with chrome hardware. Took just over 5-months to get and I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't as "freckled" as the catalog models, and the areas that had the most "freckles" unfortunately had the most hardware (i.e., the throw-off), I was also expecting it come with the vintage "Lyra" badge, but it came with a B/O badge. So I put it in the closet for about 7-years and just some months ago dug it out and put it on the stand because I wanted to have a bit different sound than my trusty Coliseum or hammered bronze.

When I pulled it out of the box again, I was surprised that it took on that slightly deeper amber tone that I really liked with my 80's Coliseum. Also, I noticed the B/O badge, which is numbered, shares the same last four digits as the Coliseum (nice odd-ball coincidence I think).

This model is a 10-ply version (Exotic shell plys: 2009 = 8-ply; 2010 = 7-ply; 2011 = 10-ply). It has been the only snare on my stand for at least the last 6-months. I'm really happy with the sound.
I even used the out-of-box-tuning for a couple of months, however I wanted a bit better stick response than the stock low-pitch tuning so I pitched it up bit and I like the stick response better and also like the slightly higher tone (and it's got more room if I want to go higher). I find the snare versatile enough for my needs... it's responsive to light/heavy input; the rimshots are extra crisp with the DC hoop; has a variety of sounds on/off center and I can even get it to honk a bit if I want to go a bit 'Nawlins on it. I'm still using the stock heads, and will go Remo when it's time for a new batter head.

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have the LS403 and the LS401. Great drums. I use the 6.5 for everything: Jazz, rock, blues, big band and it never lets me down. I prefer the Weathermaster coated heavy head and the Ludwig snare side, too. I stocked up on Ludwig heads when they announced they would no longer make them. Die cast hoops, too.
4B599368-0708-48B8-8D65-3C0A5C6BC8C2.jpeg

Last edited:

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I had a 6.5 twisted salesman snare and while it didn’t sound bad, I ended up selling it. When I think of Ludwig snares I think of Supra, Black Beauties and Acrolites. For my money when it comes to ply maples snares you could probably do better than Ludwig. Currently I’m using a 7” Magstar that surpasses other ply snares I’ve played.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
I absolutely love mine. It stays on the stand on my Beauford replica kit 99% of the time currently. It's so warm, sensitive, and just pure perfect tone. A keeper of a snare.

It was the only snare not used on my band's latest record though. The others all beat it out surprisingly.

20180119_085449.jpg

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love my Classic Maple so much when I read this thread I had to go out to the garage to sneak a shot of some Saturday Night Sexy Snare Cleavage:

0300D312-157D-4FEA-A45F-889A458F8F75.jpeg

Mine is a 5 incher but I’ve been closely watching CL for a local 6.5.

This drum has a nice open tone that works well with a Vintage Ambassador, for just a tad more control. I tune it a little high for crack and it has excellent projection and maneuverability. No reason for a CM to not be your All-Rounder. Really is clean at different volumes, too. It’s the only wood snare I take on a gig.

I think this same drum in a 6.5 would be like honey in Darjeeling with a touch of cream: sweet and brisk with smooth body.

(Mine is a 2017 and the hardware and build is excellent.)

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here's mine....

View attachment 433137

It's a LS403TD which is an "Exotic Birdseye Maple" veneer. I ordered this about a year after getting my 100th Anniversary BB, which I don't think was too long after they started offering the "exotic" veneer snares (the veneers are certainly in the 2009 catalog). I didn't want the standard brass hardware so I went the custom order route and went with chrome hardware. Took just over 5-months to get and I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't as "freckled" as the catalog models, and the areas that had the most "freckles" unfortunately had the most hardware (i.e., the throw-off), I was also expecting it come with the vintage "Lyra" badge, but it came with a B/O badge. So I put it in the closet for about 7-years and just some months ago dug it out and put it on the stand because I wanted to have a bit different sound than my trusty Coliseum or hammered bronze.

When I pulled it out of the box again, I was surprised that it took on that slightly deeper amber tone that I really liked with my 80's Coliseum. Also, I noticed the B/O badge, which is numbered, shares the same last four digits as the Coliseum (nice odd-ball coincidence I think).

This model is a 10-ply version (Exotic shell plys: 2009 = 8-ply; 2010 = 7-ply; 2011 = 10-ply). It has been the only snare on my stand for at least the last 6-months. I'm really happy with the sound.
I even used the out-of-box-tuning for a couple of months, however I wanted a bit better stick response than the stock low-pitch tuning so I pitched it up bit and I like the stick response better and also like the slightly higher tone (and it's got more room if I want to go higher). I find the snare versatile enough for my needs... it's responsive to light/heavy input; the rimshots are extra crisp with the DC hoop; has a variety of sounds on/off center and I can even get it to honk a bit if I want to go a bit 'Nawlins on it. I'm still using the stock heads, and will go Remo when it's time for a new batter head.
Your drum is absolutely gorgeous! Thank you for taking the time to provide such a beautifully detailed review...much obliged.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I absolutely love mine. It stays on the stand on my Beauford replica kit 99% of the time currently. It's so warm, sensitive, and just pure perfect tone. A keeper of a snare.

It was the only snare not used on my band's latest record though. The others all beat it out surprisingly.

View attachment 433150
Beautiful drum, Adam. I was hoping you would chime in because I know that you have a really good one. I remember you going through quite a few snare drums before settling on this gorgeous Rosewood exotic veneer CM snare drum. Did the drum come with die cast hoops? I am a fan of die cast hoops on snare drums, even though it seems most here on the DF don't care for them. Thank you, again! Rob

johnlamond

Voiceover guy
Reaction score
Love, love, love my Ludwig Classic Maple snare in green sparkle. Mine has the P86 strainer. Our band has been doing a lot of gigs in restaurants where you have to be very volume conscious. This snare allows me to get the sound I want with a very controlled volume. I have been using the Ludwig almost exclusively for most of our indoor shows with my Sawtooth Bop Kit. The Sawtooth btw, is one of the best kept secrets in the drumming world right now.

Here's the Ludwig snare I am using:

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
Beautiful drum, Adam. I was hoping you would chime in because I know that you have a really good one. I remember you going through quite a few snare drums before settling on this gorgeous Rosewood exotic veneer CM snare drum. Did the drum come with die cast hoops? I am a fan of die cast hoops on snare drums, even though it seems most here on the DF don't care for them. Thank you, again! Rob
Yes, Santos Rosewood finish. It did indeed come with cast hoops.

I got this drum for my replica after seeing Carter use the Ludwig AVH rosewood. This snare looks exactly like it. I just absolutely love this drum. I added 42 strands to mine as well and it's just gorgeous sounding. Video below.

When I was backstage at dmb in 15, Carter's tech had one of these classic maples as a backup to his rosewood in the road case. This was before he had 2 AVHs. He said Carter didn't know the difference between the 2, so he'd throw the CM up for backup. I found them their backup AVH 2 weeks later and they've used it since!

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes, Santos Rosewood finish. It did indeed come with cast hoops.

I got this drum for my replica after seeing Carter use the Ludwig AVH rosewood. This snare looks exactly like it. I just absolutely love this drum. I added 42 strands to mine as well and it's just gorgeous sounding. Video below.

When I was backstage at dmb in 15, Carter's tech had one of these classic maples as a backup to his rosewood in the road case. This was before he had 2 AVHs. He said Carter didn't know the difference between the 2, so he'd throw the CM up for backup. I found them their backup AVH 2 weeks later and they've used it since!

That's awesome!

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
WFLKurt has a fantastic Classic Maple with quartersawn Macassar Ebony outer veneer that hopefully he will chime in on . It is a great snare drum

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a Ludwig Classic Maple Snare drum (6.5x14 10 lug drum) that is a ply drum with an interesting finish. I haven't owned a CM ply snare drum, EVER. I mostly gravitate towards Solid Shell snares or Cast Metal drums, but I really want to try one. Please tell me how much you love yours. I know that there are many fans out there. Please share your thoughts and how they compare to your other snare drums.
I just bought this 6.5” from a forum member. Really great tuning range, tunes medium high...great crack, really sensitive. I’m bias, I love Ludwig snare sounds in general but I’ve owned DW, Gretsch etc. and there’s something about Ludwig snare I love. Have a BB, Copperphonic and a Supra
914B686B-0261-4F43-8520-6940D22FC225.jpeg

dangermoney

Reaction score
I'm a long time Ludwig player so I am a bit biased. In over 40 years, the only non-Ludwig snares that I have ever played was a Yamaha SD-065D snare back in the 80s and a Nashville Slingerland Radio King on several select gigs. So, I don't really have much to compare them too. However ...

I played my 5 x 14 CM snare for 10 years and never had any problems with tuning, sound, or it staying in tune. It has a wide tuning range and the sweet spot yields a nice clean pop that sounds great when mic'd. It has been dependable and I've never had it fail on me in any way.

Last summer, after an over year long quest of looking at many different maple snares, I decided to buy my 6.5 x 14 CM snare to use for my rock band. I have not been disappointed. So far, it has been just as reliable as my trusty 5 x 14 but with more body and has been my go to snare for when I want that big deep woody sound.

I consider both of my CM snares to be work horses for use in any venue setting, from bars to clubs to festivals and anything else in between and they have been there many, many times.

But as you already know, the best thing is to get one, play around with it, and judge for yourself ... :)

1585499953349.png

1585500630189.png

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm a long time Ludwig player so I am a bit biased. In over 40 years, the only non-Ludwig snares that I have ever played was a Yamaha SD-065D snare back in the 80s and a Nashville Slingerland Radio King on several select gigs. So, I don't really have much to compare them too. However ...

I played my 5 x 14 CM snare for 10 years and never had any problems with tuning, sound, or it staying in tune. It has a wide tuning range and the sweet spot yields a nice clean pop that sounds great when mic'd. It has been dependable and I've never had it fail on me in any way.

Last summer, after an over year long quest of looking at many different maple snares, I decided to buy my 6.5 x 14 CM snare to use for my rock band. I have not been disappointed. So far, it has been just as reliable as my trusty 5 x 14 but with more body and has been my go to snare for when I want that big deep woody sound.

I consider both of my CM snares to be work horses for use in any venue setting, from bars to clubs to festivals and anything else in between and they have been there many, many times.

But as you already know, the best thing is to get one, play around with it, and judge for yourself ... :)

View attachment 433193

View attachment 433194
Unfortunately, this one is sight unseen... No chance to play it. Very nice drums you have, BTW!

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I just bought this 6.5” from a forum member. Really great tuning range, tunes medium high...great crack, really sensitive. I’m bias, I love Ludwig snare sounds in general but I’ve owned DW, Gretsch etc. and there’s something about Ludwig snare I love. Have a BB, Copperphonic and a Supra View attachment 433192
You have such a unique finish on your drum. I really like it! Do you have an entire kit in this finish?

Latest posts