Tell me about your modern Ludwig Classic Maple Snare drum? I am considering a 6.5x14 CM Ply snare drum.

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You have such a unique finish on your drum. I really like it! Do you have an entire kit in this finish?
it’s vintage oyster, no don’t have a kit yet. The next one I buy will be a CM in that finish. It just worked out that it was for sale and I was looking for it. Fate?

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
it’s vintage oyster, no don’t have a kit yet. The next one I buy will be a CM in that finish. It just worked out that it was for sale and I was looking for it. Fate?
I think it is fate! :) Can you imagine an entire drumset in that amazing oyster finish? Wow, is the word that comes to mind. I really love oyster finishes!

GeneZ

DFO Master
Reaction score
Grew up in NY.. now, Georgia -NW of Atlanta
I am considering purchasing a Ludwig Classic Maple Snare drum (6.5x14 10 lug drum) that is a ply drum with an interesting finish. I haven't owned a CM ply snare drum, EVER. I mostly gravitate towards Solid Shell snares or Cast Metal drums, but I really want to try one. Please tell me how much you love yours. I know that there are many fans out there. Please share your thoughts and how they compare to your other snare drums.
I have sat behind drum sets where no matter what snare was there it sounded like crap. Beautiful snare otherwise.

Its the drummer that makes the drum sound as it does. We all need to learn that. The drum does not make you. You must make the drum you, as long as its well made by a reputable manufacturer. Ludwig is top tier.

In other words.... Ludwig Class Maple snares are excellent maple shelled drums. Its up to the drummer to make it known.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I love my classic maple. It's odd because when I got the whole set in 2012, I sold off a 2003 gold sparkle set to fund the purchase. The 2003 set sounded fantastic but it had a few cosmetic things that bugged me. When the 2012 came in and I gigged them the first time, I got really nervous because I just wasn't digging them that much and I was worried I made a big mistake. I'd say after a month or so they drums really settled in and now after over 35o plus shows on them, they are the best sounding set of drums I have ever owned. The snare in particular is a favorite and I have had more compliments on that snare then any snare I have ever owned. I ordered the whole set to have a 70's vibe with B/O badges and the snare is like a classic maple jazzfest with eight lugs and a p-85. None of the drums have mufflers.

IMG_1104.JPG

Radio King

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love my classic maple. It's odd because when I got the whole set in 2012, I sold off a 2003 gold sparkle set to fund the purchase. The 2003 set sounded fantastic but it had a few cosmetic things that bugged me. When the 2012 came in and I gigged them the first time, I got really nervous because I just wasn't digging them that much and I was worried I made a big mistake. I'd say after a month or so they drums really settled in and now after over 35o plus shows on them, they are the best sounding set of drums I have ever owned. The snare in particular is a favorite and I have had more compliments on that snare then any snare I have ever owned. I ordered the whole set to have a 70's vibe with B/O badges and the snare is like a classic maple jazzfest with eight lugs and a p-85. None of the drums have mufflers.

View attachment 433411
Beautiful set. Classic setup. I'd be right at home on those.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a Ludwig Classic Maple Snare drum (6.5x14 10 lug drum) that is a ply drum with an interesting finish. I haven't owned a CM ply snare drum, EVER. I mostly gravitate towards Solid Shell snares or Cast Metal drums, but I really want to try one. Please tell me how much you love yours. I know that there are many fans out there. Please share your thoughts and how they compare to your other snare drums.
My 9 ply 13x3 is pretty cool now.
I had issues with a harsh raspy-ness to the sound of the drum and it took me a while to figure out where it was coming from.
The 13's come with narrow snares.
The 3" has a 12 strand and the 6" has a 16 strand.
I was contemplating a set of Puresound Super 30's for a while, but then I got a deal on a Tama Stagestar, which is also a 13" snare drum.
The Tama was fine, but it was always kinda cold and lifeless. It worked, but lacked character.
Then one day I was looking at it and noticed it had a 20 strand snare...
....the wheels began to turn....
I figured, what the hell, so I swapped the wires between the two drums.
At first I didn't noticed any change.
Considering it a failed experiment, I set the drums aside and got on with my life.
A couple of weeks later, I decided I should swap the snares back, but decided to screw around with them one last time before I pulled them apart.
What a difference a couple of weeks made!
The Ludwig lost all of its harsh raspy sound and the snare sound itself smoothed out very nicely.
It also dried out the snare drum a bit and that helped the tone of the shell to shine through a little better.
The 12 strand also benefitted the Tama, as it gained a mellower, fatter sound. Much more enjoyable to play now.

....anyway, you asked about CM snare drums, so there you go. My whole kit has a great colourful tone, snare drum included.
Your 14x6.5 should be a very nice drum to own.

Ludwig_ClassicMaple_ME_13x3.jpg

Elvis

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
My 9 ply 13x3 is pretty cool now.
I had issues with a harsh raspy-ness to the sound of the drum and it took me a while to figure out where it was coming from.
The 13's come with narrow snares.
The 3" has a 12 strand and the 6" has a 16 strand.
I was contemplating a set of Puresound Super 30's for a while, but then I got a deal on a Tama Stagestar, which is also a 13" snare drum.
The Tama was fine, but it was always kinda cold and lifeless. It worked, but lacked character.
Then one day I was looking at it and noticed it had a 20 strand snare...
....the wheels began to turn....
I figured, what the hell, so I swapped the wires between the two drums.
At first I didn't noticed any change.
Considering it a failed experiment, I set the drums aside and got on with my life.
A couple of weeks later, I decided I should swap the snares back, but decided to screw around with them one last time before I pulled them apart.
What a difference a couple of weeks made!
The Ludwig lost all of its harsh raspy sound and the snare sound itself smoothed out very nicely.
It also dried out the snare drum a bit and that helped the tone of the shell to shine through a little better.
The 12 strand also benefitted the Tama, as it gained a mellower, fatter sound. Much more enjoyable to play now.

....anyway, you asked about CM snare drums, so there you go. My whole kit has a great colourful tone, snare drum included.
Your 14x6.5 should be a very nice drum to own.

View attachment 433443

Elvis
That's a really beautiful drum, Elvis! Thank you for taking the time to write your experiences regarding the drum. Very interesting, indeed! Sometimes drums just need to sit and settle a little with their heads, wires, and tuning. Thanks again!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words Treviso.
I'll have to get a new pic of that drum.
The finish is Cherry Lacquer and its much more red than the picture shows.
Good luck with your 6.5x14! =)

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words Treviso.
I'll have to get a new pic of that drum.
The finish is Cherry Lacquer and its much more red than the picture shows.
Good luck with your 6.5x14! =)
Thank you!

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
Beautiful set. Classic setup. I'd be right at home on those.
Thanks! I t's my favorite kind of set up. I would have gone keystone badge but in 2012 Ludwig was still only offering the large keystone that they made from 1985 on. The other issue is that Ludwig puts all the badges on toms up towards the top. That looks perfect for a B/O badge but I hate the way it looks with a keystone badge. I much prefer to see the badge centered like the old days. I also tried to get the badge on my bass drum moved to the audience side and it was a no go from my dealer. It might be all doable now but in 2012, Ludwig wouldn't budge on badge placements. It sounds silly in the big scheme of things but it's just a preference for me.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks! I t's my favorite kind of set up. I would have gone keystone badge but in 2012 Ludwig was still only offering the large keystone that they made from 1985 on. The other issue is that Ludwig puts all the badges on toms up towards the top. That looks perfect for a B/O badge but I hate the way it looks with a keystone badge. I much prefer to see the badge centered like the old days. I also tried to get the badge on my bass drum moved to the audience side and it was a no go from my dealer. It might be all doable now but in 2012, Ludwig wouldn't budge on badge placements. It sounds silly in the big scheme of things but it's just a preference for me.
Beautiful drums! I think that all of the holes are cnc drilled and the vent hole is programed right in there at the same time. It's pretty cool to see if you haven't seen it...the automation of it just blows my mind.

drummer5359

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I own ten solid maple drums and about as many brass drums from various manufacturers. As for multi-ply drums, I currently have a few Slingerland 3-ply mahogany/poplar and several Gretsch 6-ply maple/gum, and a DW Ten and six maple.

I recently picked up a Ludwig Classic Maple snare in the charcoal shadow finish and so far I really like it. It is a different flavor than I'm used to, but that is what made me interested in it. Someone put a diecast hoop on the top, I'll likely swap that out.

1585771575974.png

e.g.

Reaction score
I own a 6.5x14 Ludwig satinwood finish maple snare drum. It's Ok, it's actually the backline snare drum I provide for a club where I live in Santa Cruz CA. I've heard the drum played by many different drummers, and it always sounded good through the PA. system. That being said, I prefer the sound of all three of my supraphonics better. 6.5x14 brass, 5x14 hammered bronze, 6.5x14 aluminum. ( I don't know why the print just changed?WTF).

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
e.g.,

Hit the edit button in the bottom left hand corner and highlight the part in Italics, then click on the big "I" in the tool bar at the top. That will reverse the effect and the letters will appear normal.
Then click "post reply".

Elvis

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
I own a 6.5x14 Ludwig satinwood finish maple snare drum. It's Ok, it's actually the backline snare drum I provide for a club where I live in Santa Cruz CA. I've heard the drum played by many different drummers, and it always sounded good through the PA. system. That being said, I prefer the sound of all three of my supraphonics better. 6.5x14 brass, 5x14 hammered bronze, 6.5x14 aluminum. ( I don't know why the print just changed?WTF).
You know, it is very hard to beat the sound of a Ludwig supra phonic, no matter what the shell material is. In the late 2000s, I was sitting on lots of snare drums, but my $400 Ludalloy 402 saw the most stand time, if not nearly all of it with the band that I was gigging heavily with. I have often said that the 402 sounds much better than most $1000 snare drums. It's difficult to make that drum sound bad! I get it, believe me. Thanks for your reply!

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
One thing I forgot to mention in the videos I sent, snare wires.

Obviously I am a huge Ludwig fanatic (and die cast hoops), but the versatility of wire choices on the classic maple make a huge difference!
On the purple shadow, I tried the stock wires, puresounds, wire wound silk, synthetic gut, and ultimately ended up with the Grovers you heard.

Besides the tone of the drum itself, this can really make a difference.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
One thing I forgot to mention in the videos I sent, snare wires.

Obviously I am a huge Ludwig fanatic (and die cast hoops), but the versatility of wire choices on the classic maple make a huge difference!
On the purple shadow, I tried the stock wires, puresounds, wire wound silk, synthetic gut, and ultimately ended up with the Grovers you heard.

Besides the tone of the drum itself, this can really make a difference.
I agree, snare wires make a huge difference. I tend not to like the stock wires that come on Ludwig drums. My favorites are either Canopus wires or standard 20 strand Gretsch wires. Both really fatten up the sound of the drum...I like that!

Latest posts