Tell me about your set of sleeper cymbals

drummerjohn333

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
This should be a fun thread.

No, you can't just mention one cymbal......that doesn't meet the challenge.

The challenge: List what your set of cymbals if all you could use was sleeper cymbals, typically cheap/entry level. No, you don't have to own all of them or post a pic or video, but you get extra credit if you can.

I go first:

No, I could not make a video of all these because I do not own all of them right now, but I have at one time or another.

Hihats: 14 inch Cambers....old buttery nickel silver. Runner up: 14 inch MIJ Pearl CX-500s
Crash: 16 inch B20 alloy "Argent"
Crash: 18 inch ZBT crash
Ride: 22 inch Paiste 400 Ride Runner up: 22 inch MIJ Pearl CX-500 Ride.

Notes: The Argent sounds just as good as the Sabian AA I have. Yes, the ZBT I had sounded great. Close your eyes and you thunk you were playing an old A.

Pat A Flafla

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
hats: thin wuhan 14" crash top, 90s B8 bottom, with a bell shaped cutout crack repair on the edge that tightens up the sound like Zildjian quick hats (if I take no crashes, I always take this set)
crash: a thin, complex, responsive Wuhan S-Series I picked up at the Lone Star PASIC booth--no power but it sounds full and interesting
ride: 24" Sabian APX ride that sounds like a Paiste
I also have a variety of Wuhan splashes that sound wonderful, and some Wuhan effect crashes that sound OK (I bring them out when I don't want to put miles on HHX O-Zones)

underratedcowbell

Reaction score
A set of Paiste 404's (15" hi-hats, 18" crash-ride and 20" ride) that came with my first drum kit that I bought when I was 14. Beginner cymbals but they do sound great. Some say yhey're poor man's 2002 but I like the 404 ride best!

healthie1

Reaction score
The pearl wild cymbals are cool - they look like paiste rudes. I’ve got a pair of CB700 12” hats that are cool too.

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ooh, I like this thread very much.

I’m a big fan of nickel silver, particularly Zyns. So I’d go with my 22” paper thin crash/ride on the right, a 20” 2-star Zyn I just picked up on the left, and a set of 15” Paiste Ludwig Standard hats.

I’ve gotta say, I was also very pleasantly surprised by a set of 14” Meinl Classics hats I got (for free!) a number of years ago. Very soft, mellow, sweet sound. Nothing like what I usually play, and they wouldn’t fit with the nickel silver stuff. So I’d have to think of a different setup if I were going to use those as my sleeper hats, but they’d be contenders, too.

DrumKeys

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'll chime in with my hi hat choice. Agop Xist 15" hats. The least expensive pair of hats I own but they sound great.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
When the Sabian XS-series cymbals first came out I thought they sounded much better than they had a right to considering their price at the time. But I only played them at drum shops and music stores, so I don't have enough experience with them to put together a set of specific models and sizes.

Square

Reaction score
I would say Sabian XSR, specifically the big and ugly series. I have said before that I went cymbal shopping with a budget about 3x the cost of the "XSR, B&U pack". For what I needed at the time, they fit the bill perfectly. After initially overlooking "those cheap cymbals", I brought them home.

Istanbul Agop Xist are great too.

For bonus points...
IMG_1463.jpg

IMG_1502.jpg

ChicagoDave

Reaction score
Zilco is a another great cymbal that gets overlooked
I would easily do a set
If you can find these
View attachment 503894
Yup. That's my go-to. Sellers are catching on though. Getting tough to find them for really low prices. I'm still working on a complete set. Really want to find a 20" 40s-50s Zilco. Don't think they were in a catalog, but there's probably some out there. I know there's a 22" trans / Zilco double stamp.
Lots of 70s 20" Zilcos around. Not the same though.

Also missing a proper pair to make hats. This is where I'm at:

18" Zilco Con paperthin. Ridiculous.
18 zilco 1098 t.jpg

16" Zilco Con paperthin
16 zilco 896 t.jpg

15" Zilco Con paperthin -GREAT top hat-
15 zilco 750 t.jpg

15" Zilco Con extra thin & wavy splash
15 zilco 664 t.jpg

13" Zilco Con wavy splash
13 zilco 510 t.jpg

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
Sabian SR2 - the treasure hunt of cymbals! I rock a full set often, a set made one piece at a time over the years. I see some hand hammering, or a great weight, and I grab em up. I like a thin cymbal generally, so when you take a hand hammered Sabian and then lathe it thinner, and then drop the price by about 50-75% - yeah, I’m in. The fugly logos are easily removed with acetone and then they look as classy as they sound.

The pictured SR2 setup:
15” Thin over Med hats, 17” Thin crash, 20” Thin crash/ride with 2 rivets, 22” Thin

38F153EB-3E74-4CFE-B7DF-1DB64E5354C9.jpeg

markkarj

Reaction score
I'll chime in with my hi hat choice. Agop Xist 15" hats. The least expensive pair of hats I own but they sound great.
The XIST series has some very good options to it.

On the 15" hats, I have a soft/sloshy set by using two XIST crashes. If I'd like a slightly louder sound, I swap one of the crashes out and use a Pasha top as a bottom.

Square

Reaction score
The XIST series has some very good options to it.

On the 15" hats, I have a soft/sloshy set by using two XIST crashes. If I'd like a slightly louder sound, I swap one of the crashes out and use a Pasha top as a bottom.
My xist hats (shown above) are actually a Sabian Paragon 13" bottom and a 13" Xist crash for the top.

tomo221

Reaction score
Sabian SR2 - the treasure hunt of cymbals! I rock a full set often, a set made one piece at a time over the years. I see some hand hammering, or a great weight, and I grab em up. I like a thin cymbal generally, so when you take a hand hammered Sabian and then lathe it thinner, and then drop the price by about 50-75% - yeah, I’m in. The fugly logos are easily removed with acetone and then they look as classy as they sound.
+1 for the SR2s.

So cheap, and still (by definition) pro level. My main gigging set up includes a 21" and a pair of 15" hats, and I'm blown away by their sound every time I play them.

WaggoRecords

Reaction score
Is it fair to say pre-AA Sabians are sleepers? I don’t have any experience with them, and they seem to go for lower prices relative to other vintage cymbals.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
My first set of cymbals were decent for what they were and when it was, 1986. Wasn't a lot of entry level stuff then that was good but I had a set of new Camber 14" HH's that sounded good but would turn inside out once in a while if my foot was too heavy. The crash was a used Meinl 16" Classic and a CB700 20" Ride, I don't know who made the ride but it was pretty comparable to a Zildjian A Medium at least for a 15 year old basher.