"Tell Me Something Good"-Rufus w/Chaka Khan

trommel

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know this has probably been gone over many times , but I'd appreciate your help now.

Tell Me Something Good. A fine song. I now wish I'd learned it in 1974 when it came out. My brain was 23, and more flexible than now. Now I'm 65(sixty-six in 2 weeks), the group wants to do this, and I need assistance. I've listened to it numerous times, but If anyone has an accurate drumset TAB for this song, could you point me to your source? The site? Forward a copy to me via e-mail? I've found some sort of TABS, but they are not conducive to fast learning.

Please help me out if you can. I do not want to let my group mates, myself, and/or especially the song down.

Thanks for any help you can provide!!!!

trixonian

DFO Master
Reaction score
search youtube for "drum cover" of the song. I think watching someone play it is more intuitive than just hearing the recording.

organicdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing the biggest issue is with the intro? Possibly the counting on the intro? The song can be counted in 8th notes (1&2&3&4&...or...1and2and3and4and) and the whole songs starts on the "and" of 4. So, the first note is on the "and" and the second note is on the "1"

Its tricky, but if you count the intro as: & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &...etc you will land on the verse on the downbeat of 1. The low notes are on "&" and the high notes are on numbers (1,2,3,4). If you follow that, the first drum notes of the song (a snare and tom hit) fall on a 2. The last drum notes of the intro (a snare and hi hat splash) fall on a 4.

bolweevil

DFO Master
Reaction score
my old band worked hard on that opening....and usually got it right. Then for some reason we began the song with a reggae beat and keyboard ditty, and all that work went out the window. It feels good when it goes right!